• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
hartley353

Animal Hurricane watch,

I have slowly been building a small collection of Animal watches. Today a Animal Hurricane watch arrived, Black and gold and rated to 200 metres, I have been unable to find a mark on it. The photos are as received, I have not even set the date yet. I reckon they used to sell at around £90, I paid a fraction of that..large.1936351035_AnimalHurriane..JPG.80a1a3b01c14a6a2d2a0a16c13b774f1.JPGlarge.1295632413_AnimalhurricaneB..JPG.aac9be57eb0c221cb4e9972d44fbf908.JPG

• Like 4

I remember these from my mountain biking days and spending one day a week in the bike shops looking at more components. They also had Kahuna watches that were similar but cheaper.

1 hour ago, spinynorman said:

I haven't come across that brand before. 

They are more commonly known for their tee shirts and other casual clothing, a bit like Fat Face.  Here's a pic of me modelling one of their tee shirts:

DSC00128

Any excuse to post that famous photo :laughing2dw:

I've owned a few Animal watches in the past, but there are none in my current collection.  The last one to get flipped was a "Pinless" design, so could only be fitted with their own brand Velcro straps or a NATO, and since I'm not a fan of those I had to let it go.  Nicely made watches though, and popular with surf dudes and ski bums everywhere.

Here's another photo, this time with me looking a bit more... er... "normal" and modelling a burgundy Animal ski jacket from the 2018 season (I went upmarket in 2019 and invested in a North Face, similar in colour to my buddy in the background of this pic, ha ha!):

G0011772

:tongue:

• Thanks 1

Dear @hartley353, I have been an Animal watch fan for quite a while now and have found the watches to be pretty good. I believe that I mentioned the brand in a topic I wrote on "surfer style" watches, along with Kahuna. Kahuna watches are variable in quality but a few models over the years have been rather good, including a titanium surfer style model.

Unfortunately for Animal lovers, the firm has gradually been paring down its watch collection, and I believe that it currently has no models in its range. One of the last to be discontinued is the T44 dive watch which includes an analogue tide feature as well as a chronograph register. This model can still just about be found online and it seems that Animal certainly went out with a bang with this watch. It remains to be seen whether the firm launches a new range of watches, hopefully maintaining the Animal style and quality - it has to be said though that they are up against hugely increased competition from newer (many of them small) watch companies majoring in inexpensive decent quality dive watches.:)

The black dial colourway Animal T44 Marine Tide dive watch, water resistant to 200 metres (pic from urbansurfer.co.uk). The watch was also produced in a blue dial version and a white dial version:

WW6SJ001_08C_5.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I haven't come across that brand before. The watch looks good. Where are they made?

Japanese movements built into very robust cases. They started in 1987 with the manufacture of snazzy hook and loop straps for surfers. Then in 1994 they started a range of watches/ These were very popular for armed forces  policemen, sportsmen. I first  noticed them when I had a maintenance contract for one of their clothing shops on the Wirrel . I spotted a display case full of funky watches. I have eight so far in my collection. These could well be collectables of the future..

• Thanks 1

Your opinions required. The Animal Hurricane on a leather strap, is the watch just to chunky., I will change the Buckle to a gold one when I find where I put it.large.1861338942_Animalwithstrap.JPG.0b795793a8b35f459401a04eb9997291.JPG