• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Some advice needed ladies and gentlemen. I've got a Citizen AS4020-36E as my cool/smart/sporty chrono watch and I'm considering changing it for something else. Would you keep it or get something new? The current chronograph:

as4020-36e-citizen-800x800.jpg

Any input on the options in the pictures below, or any other suggestions with pics please? Budget is roughly £150-£350 and I'm probably leaning towards the more sporty looking chrono. Thanks in advance.

download.png

product28148-0-1713-cropped-jpg-thumb-FF

product48487-0-9131-cropped-jpeg-thumb-F

seiko-sportura-solar-chronograph-black-d

T100-417-16-051-00.png

Just my humble opinion, but stick with the original...there ain't nothing out there that's going to better it for the price you paid. Gold plated looks tacky. Of the suggestions posted so far, I'd still say stick with the one you've shown, at a push, the Sportura is the better looking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with the original. Personally I find it a bit "busy". I got this for under £100 new and the many functions are "hidden" untill you need them. Only problem I have is remembering where they are.

21-43-209-casio-g-shock-brown-leather-st

• Like 1

I really like your original and out of the others the Tissot is the stand out for me . 

Another option for me would be a Christopher Ward C3 Grand Tourer ,a bit above budget at £395 but there is always a discount just around the corner with CW .

c03-39qch3-s00g1_lt_3d-new.thumb.jpg.c5caf9518b4042f642ad3d54c51ba95d.jpg

Thanks very much for the input guys; I have taken it on board.

At the moment I'm torn between keeping what I've got or replacing it; I have whittled the choices down to either the rather lovely Tissot PRS 516 or a new entry that has caught my eye.........

Seiko Prospex SSC421P1 Sky Solar:

Image result for SSC421P1

On 30/08/2019 at 01:29, Roger the Dodger said:

Just my humble opinion, but stick with the original...there ain't nothing out there that's going to better it for the price you paid. Gold plated looks tacky. Of the suggestions posted so far, I'd still say stick with the one you've shown, at a push, the Sportura is the better looking.

Gold plated looks tacky Roger?

I6iVVbh.jpg

Ah yes you and my wife are so right, damn.

Some wise comments above from @Francis Urquhart @Roger the Dodger @WRENCH and others.

@KO_81 Your original Citizen is a great watch and the others you're looking at really aren't much different.  Why do you want to get rid of your Citizen?  It has spot on accuracy for starters.

Long, long before all the current hysteria about the advice of Marie Kondo, the great William Morris noted in a lecture to the Birmingham Society of Arts and School of Design on 19th February 1880;  “If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

If you believe this of your Citizen, keep it and save up for an additional watch.  If not...  What aspects of the watch have you grown tired of?  Is it too big, is the dial too busy, are there too many functions?

This BX1000-06L is £249 RRP;

0117686-6-Large?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wyMDcwMTZ8aW1hZ2UvanBlZ3xpbWFnZXMvaDJhL2g3Yy85MDUzNzg0NTA2Mzk4LmpwZ3w3ZTYzY2YxZjczZTY3ZDYxZDBkNjBmZWMxZDY5NjM0OTRiNjJmZTVhYmUyZDFjNGM5Y2VhNTY1ZWFhY2ZkMDZm

If you definitely want another chrono, consider a different dial colour, as suggested by a couple of others or, for example;

Bulova 96B238;

51+S6fzV25L._UX342_.jpg

Currently at HS Johnson at £244 with the discount code.

As ever, see them on the wrist before buying if at all possible.

personally in that price range it would be a seiko, tissot to me are the 'i want an omega but cant afford one' seiko just seem to cross every boundary regardless of price. Tissot dont and are classified in a hierarchy and not in a particularly high place in it. Swatch group marketing as done this. Im wearing a mint 2004 870 and new one would be 350 quid, i paid 45...so they drop like a stone. The seiko will be more sought after used...especially if you get one used already...get a vintage chrono for £350 an auto and you will have a much more special watch than any of the new ones. 

just as an example i found this on the bay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-SEIKO-CHRONOGRAPH-AUTOMATIC-6139-6012-Watch/173874964139?hash=item287bc166ab:g:nVsAAOSwIyxctfNz

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2019 at 21:35, Solar Pilgrim said:

Ditch the chrono, get a diver!

Thanks for the invaluable advice, I own 4 divers. 

By lucky hap I managed to aquire a bracelet from another watch I purchased and it just so happens to fit this beauty. The love affair is well and truly back on. :thumbs_up:

IMG-20190921-203807.jpg

IMG-20190921-203757.jpg

IMG-20190921-204628.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KO_81 said:

By lucky hap I managed to aquire a bracelet from another watch I purchased and it just so happens to fit this beauty. The love affair is well and truly back on. 

Well that looks good, and saved you a few £'s as well. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1