• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Toby843

Hi everyone. New to watches.

Hey everyone, 

Glad to be part of a forum and I'm new to watches really. I'm loving learning about them and day dreaming about collecting them etc. 

Recently got my first decent watch, a seiko alpinist, I just loved it from the first time I saw one and my girlfriend was good enough to get me one for my birthday. 

I think that makes a great first watch and I have a few different straps for it to fit a few different occasions and styles. 

As luck would have it I should coming into around 4-5 grand which I can allocate to watches so I'm after some suggestions. Also luckily my girlfriend has said she'd buy me a watch when we get engaged and she's floating an omega speedmaster professional as a possible price point. 

So assuming I have the alpinist and we'll count the speedmaster in as well, what do you think for the 4-5 grand? I'm thinking a diver or gmt and dress watch to round off the collection. Should I just get one good watch for all the money or split it. 

I really do want a rolex one day just so I have had one and I'm wondering about trying to stretch the budget to reach an older datejust or explorer 2 which would be great but maybe I'd be better getting a couple of really nice quality divers/gmt or dress watch. I'm thinking:

Squale 

Sinn u2

Nomos

Junghuns

Stowa flieger gmt

Hamilton 

Tudor

Etc etc

Any thoughts? 

Cheers

fairly new here as well.?

The Speedy is going to be my 50th birthday present, i have hankered after one forever. To my mind it is a classic statement watch with none of the negative image associated with Rolex. Done get me wrong, some of them are beautiful, but its hard to get past the reputation of the wearers sometimes. That said, for your price point, consider the wider Omega family, Seamaster etc. Having sat in the shop and emptied the display case, i know what my 51st pressie will be.

Don't discount the Rolex explorer 1, it is smart and under stated.or if you want a bit more 'Bling' Breitling.

as a first 'big purchase' i would get the dream watch now, whatever it may be, and then decide what you want to save for next.

22 minutes ago, Richard734 said:

fairly new here as well.?

The Speedy is going to be my 50th birthday present, i have hankered after one forever. To my mind it is a classic statement watch with none of the negative image associated with Rolex. Done get me wrong, some of them are beautiful, but its hard to get past the reputation of the wearers sometimes. That said, for your price point, consider the wider Omega family, Seamaster etc. Having sat in the shop and emptied the display case, i know what my 51st pressie will be.

Don't discount the Rolex explorer 1, it is smart and under stated.or if you want a bit more 'Bling' Breitling.

as a first 'big purchase' i would get the dream watch now, whatever it may be, and then decide what you want to save for next.

I was just sat here thinking that. Rather than split across a few watches just enjoy buying one great one for that price then look at what's next on the list and start saving. So with that in mind I think I'll stick arou d the 4 grand mark and browse pre owned as well.

Interesting times ahead. 

Personally I wouldn't spend that sort of money on any single watch, but appreciate other peoples watch purchasing habits. However, if I were, it would be one of a few watches. A Tudor Black Bay, leaving me enough money to buy some new golf clubs, a used AP Royal Oak, if I could find a decent one at that price (difficult), a Panerai, new or used,  or an Omega Seamaster with the orange dial. 

38 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

Personally I wouldn't spend that sort of money on any single watch, but appreciate other peoples watch purchasing habits. However, if I were, it would be one of a few watches. A Tudor Black Bay, leaving me enough money to buy some new golf clubs, a used AP Royal Oak, if I could find a decent one at that price (difficult), a Panerai, new or used,  or an Omega Seamaster with the orange dial. 

I do love a panerai luminor. 

@Toby843

What you do with your (and your lady's) money is, of course, entirely up to you (two) . . . . . . . . . . however!

I would counsel that you be careful with the concept of a "grail" watch  --  especially as a newcomer to this addiction hobby. Thinking about something as "the single ultimate desire" sets expectations at a very high level, and therefore the smallest disappointment can weigh heavily on your happiness (a type of cognitive dissonance).

Also, as you get further into this interest you will probably realise that there is no such thing as the ultimate watch  --  it's all about the way your taste develops, the elements which interest you. 

My advice would be to begin with a small collection of nice(ish) pieces. That way, if you fall out of love with one, it won't feel as bad.

Of the brands you mention, most are good bets  --  and your choices will be determined by whether you want a normal (sometimes called "dress") watch, a chrono, a pilot, a diver or a marine (to name but a few). I have personal experience of Nomos, Tudor (for my son) and Stowa  --  all good (though of course, without being judgemental) it's useful at least to know who uses bought in movements (Stowa on my list) and who makes in house. Nomos is particularly interesting to me because or the neighbours they are trying to keep up with  --  their factory is very closely hemmed in by Lange, Glashütte Original, and Grossmann!

Perhaps I could add another (German) name to your research: Dornblüth. If you can find one (and, of course, assuming you like them) you could get a used one for about half your budget  --  and you would have a watch of which only about 200 are made per year (versus about one million for Rolex). I showed mine in yesterday's "what are you wearing" thread.

Just my tuppenceworth  --  but hope it helps.

Edited by yokel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, yokel said:

it's all about the way your taste develops, the elements which interest you. 

i know exactly what you mean.

Ive developed a97be852a133dd80aa99f2a56b5d7044.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

Buy one watch at a time and wear it for months and then make decisions about the next purchase IF you want to carry on.

You may well find the interest will fade away or change.

My interest swung from auto`s to handwinders to thermo compensated quarts and back again.

I would consider a Breilting Avenger GMT as a do-anything sports watch ..... you can get them at 20-25% off RRP so £2.2K-ish and they are about perfect for the money and have real presence on the wrist .... beautiful watches.

Regards the moon watch ..... don't buy at anywhere near full RRP because they are poor value for money at full ticket price ...

And certainly dig more into German watches .... @yokel is your personal shopping assistant for that ..... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I would consider a Breilting Avenger GMT as a do-anything sports watch ..... you can get them at 20-25% off RRP so £2.2K-ish and they are about perfect for the money and have real presence on the wrist .... beautiful watches.

Regards the moon watch ..... don't buy at anywhere near full RRP because they are poor value for money at full ticket price ...

And certainly dig more into German watches .... @yokel is your personal shopping assistant for that ..... 

i was looking at the lovely rotary version for 50 quid. I might have a do when ive saved up. 

Image result for Rotary Avenger Chronograph (GB02730/04) Bracelet Watch

better pic

15 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

i was looking at the lovely rotary version for 50 quid. I might have a do when ive saved up. 

better pic

I've heard the depreciation is appalling.

4 hours ago, Toby843 said:

Any thoughts? 

Best to buy what you personally really like. By all means ask regarding reliability, after sales etc etc, and resale values, if that bothers you, but if you have to ask others what they think should be on your wrist, then you're not very sure. Very wise words from @yokel.

Rather than individually reply I'll just say thank you all. It's lovely to be made to feel welcome with some sage advive. You're all quite right too and I am tying to stay true to what I like and not be influenced. 

It's sometimes just easier I feel to get ideas and suggestions from the crowd then refine my decisions from there. 

Plenty of food for thought in the above. A small collection to start with is exactly what I'm aiming for and it just so happens that I really do love a few watches that sit around mid budget so I may find I can get two watches I really like if I'm lucky. I'm still keeping one good watch idea in mind thought. 

Interesting points on the omega, do you all just mean look out for discounts or sales? 

6 minutes ago, Toby843 said:

omega, do you all just mean look out for discounts or sales? 

Haggle. Show your credit card but keep it firmly on your side of the table until you are good and happy :blush:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Toby843 said:

Interesting points on the omega, do you all just mean look out for discounts or sales? 

I use an independent watch buyer who gets me around 20-25% off Brand New Omega watches... you can usually get an unworn one from a grey dealer for around 15-20% off but it won't be "new" as such. ADs won't publicly discount the moon watch but some branches will discount but usually its nearer the 10% mark.

I was in beaverbrooks the other day, checking the Omegas. They were asking if I was going to buy, gave the whole, ‘it’s not for now, it’s for my birthday in December’ they offered 10% straight away. I am sure I could have got more if I had stayed and haggled, but I wasn’t ready to buy yet.

And, I have a couple of overseas trips scheduled for later this year, so Duty Free is also an option I am looking at.

Oris have a nice range, from rugged divers to the more refined, the Oris Aquis is a popular watch, a great looking watch underwater or with a suit, it really is versatile, on metal rubber or leather.

7 hours ago, sabailand said:

Oris have a nice range, from rugged divers to the more refined, the Oris Aquis is a popular watch, a great looking watch underwater or with a suit, it really is versatile, on metal rubber or leather.

I have looked at the oris aquis, you're right, a great looking watch. I'll look again as I could be tempted. 

• Like 1