• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
jackfruitpaper

Rolex 5 Year "Warranty" dispute

Hmmmm. For many "deeper" dive watches like the odd Superocean I would tend to agree with you. However with this particular watch, there is an inherent design feature in manufacture that means the watch may actually require certain stresses on it whilst being sealed ( possible , not certainly ). This watch is a different beast than many of the "deep divers". I would be playing safe on this one all the way and getting the Rolex paperwork and then getting shot of it asap ( and it will sell quicker than Nicola Sturgeons book ; "Top hair tips on how not to look as ridiculous as me" )

I think most on this thread don’t realise what Rolex the OP is referring to apart from you and I.

Not only is this a s/steel ‘hot model’, it’s also a special edition to commemorate James Cameron’s dive with a DSSD attached to the capsule. The watch is near impossible to obtain from an AD and all grey dealers are selling this model for a large premium.

For the record had the OP been referring to a Submariner that was out of warranty, I would be more inclined to go with [mention=2078]Daveyboy[/mention]’s idea of taking it elsewhere to get repaired and possibly replacing the crystal at a later date.

• Like 1

ROLEX ISSUE RESOLVED.

I just had a call from Greg ***** the Customer Services Manager at Rolex UK. What a lovely man!

He intervened and took another look at the watch through the eyes of the consumer rather than purely from the technician and Rolex have agreed to repair the watch free of charge!

Rolex have therefore (with a bit of perseverance) done themselves proud and their good name and reputation are in tact from my perspective at least. I judge a business by how they act when things go wrong not vice versa.

It is not entirely clear whether Rolex are still of the same original opinion and just paying lip service to me or not but Greg agreed that in his opinion the watch has minor dings and dents commensurate with a 3-4 year old watch and my previous assertions.

I am therefore very pleased with the outcome indeed -  right was on my side although for a while I felt justice would not be served.

In conclusion my advice to anybody in a similar situation is to keep things cordial with Rolex but just ask for escalation to Customer Services rather than getting bogged down with the service department or the dealer.

Thanks to all of you for reading this .... if indeed you still are :-)

Steve

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, jackfruitpaper said:

ROLEX ISSUE RESOLVED.

I just had a call from Greg ***** the Customer Services Manager at Rolex UK. What a lovely man!

He intervened and took another look at the watch through the eyes of the consumer rather than purely from the technician and Rolex have agreed to repair the watch free of charge!

Rolex have therefore (with a bit of perseverance) done themselves proud and their good name and reputation are in tact from my perspective at least. I judge a business by how they act when things go wrong not vice versa.

It is not entirely clear whether Rolex are still of the same original opinion and just paying lip service to me or not but Greg agreed that in his opinion the watch has minor dings and dents commensurate with a 3-4 year old watch and my previous assertions.

I am therefore very pleased with the outcome indeed -  right was on my side although for a while I felt justice would not be served.

In conclusion my advice to anybody in a similar situation is to keep things cordial with Rolex but just ask for escalation to Customer Services rather than getting bogged down with the service department or the dealer.

Steve

That is a good result, and I also have found the same person you mention more than helpful. Bet you're glad you didn't go the independent route. :thumbsup:

Am very pleased it has worked out for you

With regard to the pressure testing of the sea dweller, it was not that long ago, 7 - 10 years, that you could buy the official Rolex pressure tester along with a Rolex sea dweller wristwatch as well!! Price was about £22,000. 

12 minutes ago, harryblakes7 said:

With regard to the pressure testing of the sea dweller, it was not that long ago, 7 - 10 years, that you could buy the official Rolex pressure tester along with a Rolex sea dweller wristwatch as well!! Price was about £22,000. 

yes that was not the 3.9 Kilometre depth version though ..... still a decent gimmick package though .... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I wonder if "Greg" is on TWF and has read the posts on this thread :hmmm9uh:

Would be interesting to know... :whistle::biggrin:

Congratulations @jackfruitpaper that is a result, as they say. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 04/09/2019 at 20:40, harryblakes7 said:

Yep but not one of these. You'd need a forklift just to get it into your shed. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

COMEX-DEEPSEA_WATERPROOFNESS-CONTROL.jpg

@ the OP good result.

:)

Edited by BondandBigM

On 03/09/2019 at 22:43, ZenArcade said:

I thought Rolex would not service a vintage watch over a certain age?

Nope.  They will service any Rolex I believe, but it can get rather expensive, and they often take liberty in replacing parts you may not want replaced.  I have just bought a 1972 GMT-Master 1675 that came with a 2019 Rolex Service Card and the 2 year service warranty.

5 minutes ago, TWRG said:

Nope.  They will service any Rolex I believe, but it can get rather expensive, and they often take liberty in replacing parts you may not want replaced.  I have just bought a 1972 GMT-Master 1675 that came with a 2019 Rolex Service Card and the 2 year service warranty.

Which is where often ridiculous prices for old Rolex watches escapes me. Some watches probably have many original parts replaced. meaning that at the end of the day .... one can be  paying for a steel bracelet and case from decades ago and some other stuff from the manufacture date ( which exactly, you know not exactly what ) .... Just don't get it. 

On 04/09/2019 at 14:55, jackfruitpaper said:

ROLEX ISSUE RESOLVED.

Steve

Great result.  Well done for sticking with it and no stumping up the cash.

I had an interesting one recently.  I bought a Datejust 41 from an AD at Heathrow.  Was in a bit of a rush to catch my flight so didn't fully inspect the watch. It was straight out of the case and I saw them remove the stickers, so the last thing I was thinking was to get my loop out and look it over (from here on in I will).  So I get home, put the white gloves on, and open the box.  Straight away I notice that the side of the case is scratched, and not just a light hairline scratch either, but several and some pretty deep.  I close the box and contact the AD the next day.  At first they were surprised and apologetic and said it would be replaced.  When I next flew through Heathrow I took the watch back in and they had changed their tune and were talking about polishing.  NO WAY.  I bought a brand new Rolex at full retail, so didn't want a polished Rolex at full Retail. They said they would have to make some calls and get back to me. A few weeks went by and after much persistence from me they agreed to replace the head (keeping the bracelet).  Fair enough.  Took many more weeks of waiting for them to get another of the same model and all in I was 3 months without the watch or the money I paid for it.  All fine now, and in the time between my original purchase and the replacement, the AD had started to offer an additional 5 year warranty on top of the Rolex 5 year warranty, so I got something out of it I suppose.  No surprise that throughout the negotiation the clear inference was that I scratched the watch myself.  I 100% know that I did not, so it was either scratched at Rolex or at the AD.  It sure as heck wasn't me.  I just kept repeating this point and kept insisting that nothing other than a new watch would be acceptable.  Got there in the end. 

4 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Which is where often ridiculous prices for old Rolex watches escapes me. Some watches probably have many original parts replaced. meaning that at the end of the day .... one can be  paying for a steel bracelet and case from decades ago and some other stuff from the manufacture date ( which exactly, you know not exactly what ) .... Just don't get it. 

I'm with you on that, especially vintage watches that come without paperwork.  3/4 of the watch could have been replaced and you wouldn't know it.  The 1972 GMT-Master I bought came without box or papers but I hunted far and wide and paid a fraction of what some dealers were selling similar age GMT-Masters without papers.  I don't much care if 3/4 of this watch has been replaced as I got it pretty cheap, and someone else stumped up for the undoubtedly expensive Rolex service.  Result.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TWRG said:

I'm with you on that, especially vintage watches that come without paperwork.  3/4 of the watch could have been replaced and you wouldn't know it.  The 1972 GMT-Master I bought came without box or papers but I hunted far and wide and paid a fraction of what some dealers were selling similar age GMT-Masters without papers.  I don't much care if 3/4 of this watch has been replaced as I got it pretty cheap, and someone else stumped up for the undoubtedly expensive Rolex service.  Result.

Then you sir .... are an example .... Bravo !! Enjoy your watch !! :thumbsup: