• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Alanjw

Regulating movement

Got hold of a (new to me) Invicta with a Seiko NH25A movement, excellent condition and keeping good time ie losing a regular 10 seconds a day!

So I have been 'regulating' it, and it then gained 40 seconds a day!

Gradually been tweeking it and I am now at plus 10 a day.

The adjuster has no cam type adjustment as such but I can use a suitable screwdriver in the open part of adjuster and turn it a bit more precisely.

Is there a secret to regulation as it seems the slightest of movements make a BIG change!

Alan

Edited by Alanjw

Only with experience will you acquire the delicate touch required to make very fine adjustments to this type of regulator. If the watch is dry, or dirty, it will not react well to fine regulation. If you really want to achieve best accuracy firstly ensure the movement is completely clean and freshly lubricated. Playing with the regulator, is not the first step towards accuracy. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, as the watch runs very consistently I don't think there can be too much wrong with it which is why I consider getting it better!

I must admit - I am getting better!

Alan

THAT REGULATER,    probably was set at dead centre at the factory.  when it starts to loose or gain time   --  it usually just needs to be cleaned (serviced).  set that regulater at zero and clean the watch.  you will be surprised.

You have put a tiny bit of weight on it without noticeably moving it. Like leaning weight on it but not enough to detect that it did anything.

I got an Orient Ray mk2 to + 3 seconds a day but it took about 2 days and many attempts.

You have to be very patient because as you have found out it is frustrating.

That is why people get the machines, you need the right tool for the job.

I also found that the cheap Chinese case opener that I used kept slipping and scratching the case.

Down to a regular 4 seconds (gain) a day, not sure whether to have another 'lean' on the adjuster!

I got my 3 peg case opener from China and the device seemed well made.

What I didn't like was the exchangeable jaws that fitted it, made out of steel - one slip and you would do some damage, so I turned up some soft brass and made some new jaws.

Can't imagine slipping as it seems to locate well but being a soft material it shouldn't do any damage.

Alan

1 hour ago, Alanjw said:

Down to a regular 4 seconds (gain) a day, not sure whether to have another 'lean' on the adjuster!

What I didn't like was the exchangeable jaws that fitted it, made out of steel - one slip and you would do some damage, so I turned up some soft brass and made some new jaws.

Can't imagine slipping as it seems to locate well but being a soft material it shouldn't do any damage.

Alan

I would leave it at that, putting it in a different position at night might improve it.

I

Speaking as someone who has no watch repairing skills at all, and has sausages for fingers, I'd say you should probably just leave it now.  If a gain of 4 seconds a day is a major problem, I reckon you might need help.... :laughing2dw:

For what it's worth, I used to set all my watches to the second using the Atomic Clock website when BST came around, but these days... well, let's just say, as long as the minute hand is more or less correct, that's good enough for me... I blame the fact that I now have 2 automatic watches (:swoon:) neither of which have hacking movements, so spot-on accuracy is a thing of the past :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Davey P said:

For what it's worth, I now have 2 automatic watches...so far (:swoon:

I believe the message is getting through, Mack @mach 0.0013137 :whistle:

Still requires monitoring, but not a bad lad really.

:tongue:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Speaking as someone who has no watch repairing skills at all, and has sausages for fingers, I'd say you should probably just leave it now.  If a gain of 4 seconds a day is a major problem, I reckon you might need help.... :laughing2dw:

For what it's worth, I used to set all my watches to the second using the Atomic Clock website when BST came around, but these days... well, let's just say, as long as the minute hand is more or less correct, that's good enough for me... I blame the fact that I now have 2 automatic watches (:swoon:) neither of which have hacking movements, so spot-on accuracy is a thing of the past :tongue:

It drives me crazy, I regulated one myself, sent 2 away for regulation, 2 were amazing when I got them and I have one which really bugs me because it is 14 seconds slow a day so I will have to sort it out at some point.

20 hours ago, Alanjw said:

Alan

I would stop at that personally :thumbsup: