• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
spinynorman

Stubborn caseback

I have a maybe 60s hand-wind Citizen with push-on caseback. I can get the blade of a knife under the rim, but not enough to be able to lift it. What else can I try to get it open?

I have a few different case knives with varying bevels on the edges from fairly thin to quite thick.

Maybe try a heavier blade?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a couple of 60’s CITIZEN timepieces, & yes, the snap on backs are very tight.

Have found using a fresh Stanley blade, whilst wearing a stout glove (on watch holding hand) is very effective (for me).

You will most definitely need a crystal press, with correct dies, to refit the case back in my experience.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Karrusel said:

I have a couple of 60’s CITIZEN timepieces, & yes, the snap on backs are very tight.

Have found using a fresh Stanley blade, whilst wearing a stout glove (on watch holding hand) is very effective (for me).

You will most definitely need a crystal press, with correct dies, to refit the case back in my experience.

Thanks, I'll try the Stanley knife and glove. Goggles too, probably. I worry about snapping the blade.

On 10/09/2019 at 20:56, Solar Pilgrim said:

Try warming the caseback just a bit with a hair dryer before prying at it.

Thanks. The Stanley knife worked, but warming may come in useful sometime.

On 01/09/2019 at 18:25, Karrusel said:

that makes me cringe i used a stanley doing some sound deadening on my old porsche 928 and slipped and took a massive gouge out the end of my right thumb, luckily the 928 got me to minor injuries for patching up very quickly 20 years ago, the nurse wanted to know what id been doing with a stanley knife...I pointed at the old prussian blue 928 in the car park and said, that did it. It was evil that car.

Image result for porsche 928 s2 thewatchforum

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nigelp said:

slipped and took a massive gouge out the end of my right thumb, 

Hence the glove, which gave me the confidence I needed to remove the back.

• Like 1

Sliced the bottom of my finger last week doing some work, just healing up. Did not know i had done it until later, never bled i must be a vampire! 

• Haha 1

here is another tip.   make or find a method of holding the watch "on edge".  2 hands are free,  no glove.   vin

• Like 1