• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
bdalg1

What to buy.....hmm?

So having sold a couple of lesser watches I find myself with 2k or so to play with and many watches to choose from!!

I am thinking a speedy reduced and can pick one up for 1.6k or so as a full set and have always hankered after one.....but have just come across one of these b7ed33d627d0bb8bede27aeb381806fd.jpg

A lovely Omega Apnea with full set.

My head has been turned as I have not seen one of these before and in my opinion is a beaut!!

Should I go for the steady and always desirable Speedy or do I plump for the Omega Apnea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Stunning watch, and quite rare these days.

I hunted for an Apnea full set for a long time but came up blank, but in my digging about I came across an even rarer model, the NZL-32.  Back then they were the same sort of money, but the NZL has come up enormously since I sold mine. 

well as speedies are being discontinued if jonny boy is right?, I would go with the apena and have a fairly unique watch .

deano

Looks good, what are the 7 radials for? The name is an odd one but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Each dial turns red after a minute so you can time free diving - which of course I do all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

I would say the Apnea.

The Speedy isn't waterproof and I think in terms of practicality it makes it an incomplete watch for holidaying etc, the Apnea has no such concerns, is all around more durable too and I just find the Seamasters to be great all rounders. 

• Like 1

As soon as I saw the name, "Apnea" I checked the next posts on this thread to see if anyone had picked up on the link between apnea as a disorder and the name of that Omega, and Wrenny got there first. Given the general meaning of the term, apnea, I wonder why Omega chose that name for the watch - I suppose that free diving does have a connection to "temporary cessation of breathing," but that cessation had better not be for too long, with or without an Omega Apnea on your wrist.:biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

As soon as I saw the name, "Apnea" I checked the next posts on this thread to see if anyone had picked up on the link between apnea as a disorder and the name of that Omega, and Wrenny got there first. Given the general meaning of the term, apnea, I wonder why Omega chose that name for the watch - I suppose that free diving does have a connection to "temporary cessation of breathing," but that cessation had better not be for too long, with or without an Omega Apnea on your wrist.:biggrin:

Apparently in ancient Greek it translates "without wind".

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Apparently in ancient Greek it translates "without wind".

I wouldn't get away with that one then :laughing2dw:

• Haha 3

I’m sure I’m in the minority here but I’d buy the Speedy. Certainly the Apnea is unusual. But purely on personal taste I would not buy one. However it’s not my decision and I wish you good luck with whichever you buy

• Like 1

Not a bad looking watch and a rare beast but I'd have concerns over legibility - the hands don't stand out enough against the dial for my liking.

If you buy a reduced ... then this guy is a seller to look at ... I have bought a couple of watches from him...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-SPEEDMASTER-REDUCED-3510-50-AUTOMATIC-CHRONO-GEN-BOX-1-YR-GTEE-1999YR/293212601128?hash=item4444d53b28:g:~GoAAOSwKzVdbmL3

4 hours ago, deano1956 said:

well as speedies are being discontinued if jonny boy is right?,

It's the Speedmaster auto "date" lineage that has finished .... so no more 39-40mm £3K-ish watches ... There are still moon watches , ladies 38s , New Racing [ 6.5K LOL ]  , etc etc

• Like 1

The Apnea is such a beautiful and unique watch. I didn't know that there are free diving watches. I like the way dials turn red and than back white. 

1 hour ago, Andy Jackson said:

Just tried holding my breath for seven minutes :watch:

I couldn’t :biggrin:

the free dive record is 22 min 22 sec

Edited by Ging