• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
tick-tock-tittle-tattle

Hunter to Wristwatch..is this watch blasphemy???

I sometimes buy old watch movements on Ebay that have no case, but, I believe they deserve another chance.

Am I wrong to think it is OK to take an old watch movement that clearly started out its life as a pocket watch and putting it into a wristwatch case so it can carry on being a useful timepiece?

Am I commiting horological blasphemy?

Here is an example...

Today I received a 'non-working' Waltham' 1891 movement Grade-Seaside size 0s made 1900. I have cleaned it and put it in a 'Star Watch Case Co.' rolled gold cushion case.

Now I know this is a mis-match...a frankenwatch, a mixing of era's, but, is it so bad to 'breath new life' into an old pocket watch movement and an old empty wristwatch case?

I would like your opinions on this as I feel I am doing nothing wrong, but, pocket watch collectors may have a different view on this.

But many people have pocket watch movements in wrist watches, I have owned 3 with a 6497 and they were made that way.

All you are doing is making your own ones from parts you found.

• Like 1