• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Garp

Rado Longines Master Diastar

Picked this tungsten watch up on the “bay” - probably because I’m not likely to be able to afford anything else with a Longines logo on it.

Found it interesting, a bit like a Maserati powered Citroen SM, or a Ferrari powered Lancia 5.2 Thema.

Odd tie up between companies.

A little smaller than I like but weighs about as much as Zambia !!!!

Anyone know any details of these ?

Regards

Garpbf8eabc050ab5afe07872c31b33e3737.jpg2b43e7bf1d426494600ebb5d85b05e90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

That seems a bit peculiar!

They did make them for a short period, and were generally perceived as "ugly" at the time. They also appear from the "Sub continent" along with " Ori".

They did make them for a short period, and were generally perceived as "ugly" at the time. They also appear from the "Sub continent" along with " Ori".

Rado are very fashionable in India, yes.
It’s not a particularly bad looking watch and it does appear to be well made. I have found a picture of a Chanel Longines tie up as well.
I’m thinking a merger between two horological houses ???

• Like 1

1bbcfe69660e2d0812108f561cf937f2.jpg

27 minutes ago, Garp said:

Rado are very fashionable in India, yes.
It’s not a particularly bad looking watch and it does appear to be well made. I have found a picture of a Chanel Longines tie up as well.
I’m thinking a merger between two horological houses ???

I cannot make any comment regarding your watch, but unfortunately many "vintage" watches sold on eBay from India are not what they seem, and I would be highly suspicious of their true origin.

• Like 2

I cannot make any comment regarding your watch, but unfortunately many "vintage" watches sold on eBay from India are not what they seem, and I would be highly suspicious of their true origin.

I hear you. There’s s lot of Franken-Stuff kicking about.
I did however just stumble upon this German site which seems to confirm it IS in fact a production piece. They didn’t do many but the one pictured resembles mine.

https://mikekeller.beepworld.de/cooperations.htm

• Like 2

For certain Technos had the hardened cases which they called Borazon and there was a distinct similarity with the Rado style...but have never seen a dual branded Technos.

25 minutes ago, Garp said:

I did however just stumble upon this German site which seems to confirm it IS in fact a production piece. They didn’t do many but the one pictured resembles mine.

Like cars in the 70s ... A hillman Hunter was also a Talbot , Sunbeam , Singer , Dodge , Chrysler etc etc ... different badges on the same car basically...

Watch collaborations in the 70s were out of necessity a lot of the time, not choice with the market starting to go into unknown territory.

I once heard a tale about the Swatch group considering "branding" consolidated watch manufacturing rather than continuing with the status quo of Individual manufacturing under one single strategic umbrella. They chose wisely in my view.  Like them or loathe them , it's the Swatch group that kept the candle burning in troubled times so that we have the healthy industry around today to play in.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Like them or loathe them , it's the Swatch group that kept the candle burning in troubled times so that we have the healthy industry around today to play in.

Whole heartedly agree with this!

We owe an awful lot of appreciation to visionaries such as Nicolas Hayek (Snr) & Jean-Claude Biver.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Garp said:

Yes, they did produce them and if you hunt around other forums you'll find articles on genuine examples. Unfortunately after Photobucket mucked everything up, a lot of the visual info has vanished.

http://forum.watch.ru/showthread.php?p=3186129

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1

Wow. Thank you.
Great info there. Was intrigued by the uniqueness of it and “sprung” for it. It was not expensive and the more I look at it the more I like it.
I’ve always wanted a Rado Manhattan or a NCC101, and will almost certainly acquire one, if not both, in the future but on my hunt I saw this and figured if it was a merger between two companies that didn’t last long, it’d be a shrewd purchase.
That of course is in the eye of the purchaser !
Going to start looking for another now..... love the traditional Diastar pebble shaped case.
Garp