• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JonnyOldBoy

Dive watches not shower proof !?

After speaking today with someone whose job is it to fit and design gaskets for marine equipment he dropped a minor bombshell my way. He is of the opinion that pretty much ALL dive watches are not designed to be shower proof.... just to be clear , he did not mean a light rain shower , he meant for wearing in the bathroom shower.

Now he is no watch expert for sure, but some of his reasoning made some sense.

Has anyone else heard this ? That waterproof watches are waterproof against cool/cold water and pressure , but not hot saturated air ?

I pointed out that its not mentioned in the handbooks of any watches I have bought.... but he was adamant.... 

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

After speaking today with someone whose job is it to fit and design gaskets for marine equipment he dropped a minor bombshell my way. He is of the opinion that pretty much ALL dive watches are not designed to be shower proof.... just to be clear , he did not mean a light rain shower , he meant for wearing in the bathroom shower.

Now he is no watch expert for sure, but some of his reasoning made some sense.

Has anyone else heard this ? That waterproof watches are waterproof against cool/cold water and pressure , but not hot saturated air ?

I pointed out that its not mentioned in the handbooks of any watches I have bought.... but he was adamant.... 

Only places I have heard this is on watch forums. I still have a Seiko kinetic that has been worn in showers, saunas, steam rooms etc and it still keeps great time despite never having been serviced.

• Like 3

well;  i know that  hot water - in the shower - with strong deturgent can get into most sealed wrist watches.     vin p.s. Sauna's with 130 degres Far.   will take the best down.

Edited by vinn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, richy176 said:

Only places I have heard this is on watch forums. I still have a Seiko kinetic that has been worn in showers, saunas, steam rooms etc and it still keeps great time despite never having been serviced.

His theory is that the Shower environment is tricky because the air inside the watch will expand and tiny amounts of air are forced out, as the watch cools again then tiny amounts of air are drawn back into the watch , and if still near the shower area that air could be moisture laden.

I pointed out that the "moisture" would in effect be "water" and that the gasket would not allow that to penetrate. I accept that in theory the gasket could allow air out however unlikely that would be but I just don't buy his theory about water getting back in....

He ain't no dumbo but I just can't see how he is on the mark here.....

I did a quick search about this ... and a few articles did come up to support this , but nothing of any substance. Just never heard this before....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vinn said:

p.s. Sauna's with 130 degres Far.   will take the best down.

My Seiko must have been better that the best then. :clap: I have even worn it in the sauna and then jumped into the very cold splash pools and back into the sauna. Maybe I was just lucky.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richy176 said:

My Seiko must have been better that the best then. :clap: I have even worn it in the sauna and then jumped into the very cold splash pools and back into the sauna. Maybe I was just lucky.

try it when you jump thru a hole in the ICE.    vin

• Haha 1

I’m never convinced when I hear this sort of stuff.

I’ve also got a Seiko that’s over ten years old, never been serviced and has been in every environment I can think of without complaint. A few years ago I managed to bag a very nice holiday and it went from a couple of hours in the steam room and icy plunge pool to the jacuzzi and straight into the sea. Then the pool and blazing hot sunshine all day every day for two weeks. It’s even survived the fairy liquid washing up bowl conspiracy! :laughing2dw:

For me, if it’s 100m + I’ll not worry about any H20 relates shenanigans :laugh:

• Like 4

Just now, vinn said:

try it when you jump thru a hole in the ICE.    vin

I accept that I must be slightly mad to collect watches but I am not that mad. :jawdrop1:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Must just be Seiko beasts - mine's never seemed bothered about anything!

Edited by relaxer7

From what I understand they are not the best tool for diving either.

I used to be friends with a diving instructor and one of the top brass at a diving club.

I asked him what watches they all used at the club and he said none of them use a watch.

The entire club uses " dive computers " and nothing else full stop.

6 minutes ago, richy176 said:

I accept that I must be slightly mad to collect watches but I am not that mad. :jawdrop1:

it's good for your Heart Too.   vin

11 minutes ago, Tazmo61 said:

@johnnyoldboy , I can't see what is confusing about that article , or am I missing something .

No it's me that is confused .... I thought silicone or rubber gaskets were not breathable .... that article pretty much backs up what the dude said this morning over at the Uni .... 

• Like 1

How hot do you like your showers?

What about wearing a watch on a really hot summer's day then plunging into a cold sea? Or wearing it in a hot and humid, tropical country? Same effect as a shower I would imagine.

I've heard this shower theory before but happily wear all my dive watches in the shower and bath and never had a failure yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was told by an instructor at the BHI (who had worked at various Swiss watchmakers including Rolex and Omega) that watches are marked water resistant to depths as the pressure at depths can help tighten the watch case seals.  But a hot shower or bath could not only allow moisture in, but would also invalidate your warranty.

Makes some sense.  Steam molecules are probably smaller that water drops, plus the heat could make the case and seals expand slightly.  My rule is not to get a watch wet if it can be avoided

• Like 2

Have seen this mentioned on Hamilton and Vostok pages recently. New models worn in shower allowing moisture in

Well, looks like we've all got something else to worry about now.

59 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

that article pretty much backs up what the dude said this morning over at the Uni .... 

Possibly because he read the same article first.

When it’s okay to wear a watch in the shower

Here a is the only case where you could wear your watch in the shower: when you have no safe place to put your watch while you shower. Read: when it’s not safe for your *not* to wear it. Because you’re in a hostile or unfamiliar environment. That’s it. In my opinion, all the rest are merely excuses, not reasons.

Really ?

pulp_fiction-copia_7180611.jpg?itok=2T3S

:laughing2dw:

39 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Well, looks like we've all got something else to worry about now.

Possibly because he read the same article first.

LOL .... This guy spends his days covered in grease and dressed in a boiler suit ... and has about a much interest in watches as you have in the London Underground ....

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

and has about a much interest in watches as you have in the London Underground ....

Yet is able to spout off such information verbatim. 

I'm a cynical old Hector.

hectorshouse5.jpg

Off to meet Kiki and Zaza, to see my watch friend. He tells me; the London Underground network is approximately 249 miles long, employing more than 4100 trains, and linking 270 stations. But only about 45 percent of those miles are underground.

Astonishing. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

Yet is able to spout off such information verbatim. 

It's his job. you did realise that seals and gaskets are used in things other than watches ? You did not ! Oh well now you do ....:blind:

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

It's his job. you did realise that seals and gaskets are used in things other than watches ? You did not ! Oh well now you do ....:blind:

So how are Caterpillar D9 ram seals affected by steam cleaners operating at 3.5 bar ? Plus wearing a watch in the shower, yuk, the wrist cheese will be a breeding ground for bacteria. :doctor: