• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Trial and Error - How (not) to repair a watch ...

I saw a watch on ebay cheap with a broken crystal but a nice case and bracelet.  As luck would have it, I had the same watch with a perfect crystal, new movement, but tatty case and bracelet.  Light bulb moment, and a cheeky bid later, said watch is on its way to me, and by a process of cross cannibalisation I will get one perfect watch, buy a cheap crystal, and thereby one tatty one - might get a tenner back (it's an LE). There was a caveat in the advert that the back was difficult to replace too.  I know that, having changed the battery and movement on mine previously.  No problemo.  Anyway, I swapped the crystal successfully and movement from mine to the new case, now to put the back on, in the press you go says I, bit of a push - nothing - bit more, case back goes in with a satisfying 'click'! 

Perfect.

Until I turned the watch over ...   Aha!  So that's how the original crystal got broken!

And so to ebay for 2 crystals ....   at least I only paid one p & p lol

• Like 2

Easily done I'm afraid, let's hope there is no repeat next time around, I've heard that can be done quite easily.  :whistling:

• Haha 1

All fixed thanks, put the case-back in the freezer first to shrink it a bit this time, no problemo!  (I wiped the condensation off first) But thanks. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I think we’ve probably all had that happen at some point in the learning process, no doubt telling you what you’ve already learnt , but you need a recessed die on the crystal side that sits on the bezel and doesn’t touch the crystal and a flat die that is the same size as the caseback for the back   But like I said you know that already now.  :yes:   Nice job in the end though , looks good :thumbsup:

Before I bought my proper case back press, I tried to fit a difficult pop on back using a G clamp, "protecting" the crystal with a rag.  I think we can all guess how that ended....... :whistle:  Lucky for me it was only a scrap watch that I was practicing on, and not one from the collection. 

Almost all of my watches are screw-down case backs, but I did have a Bulova Precisionist that had a pop-off type, and when that needed a new battery I went ahead and bought a press.  I think it was about 15 quid from ebay, so cost less than taking the Bulova for a battery change in a shop :thumbsup: