• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
al_kaholik

Polishing REALLY hard crystal (acrylic)

After an evening of Polywatch, Cape Cod on a cotton bud, Cape Cod using its own cloth and more Polywatch, I'm slightly worse off (but not by much whatsoever) than when I started.

Without breaking out the Micromesh is there anything else worth trying? The crystal IS acrylic but tough as old boots.

Al

Showing a picture would help because polishing is very dependant on the condition of the object.

The worse the condition, the stronger the "cut" needs to be and more steps needed to get it back to like new.

Polishing can be a nightmare and not worth doing in many cases.

Acrylic can "brittle" due to photo-reaction. In the later stages of its useful life , an acrylic glazing can be harder to polish because its degrading molecularly. Its the same with plastics generally...... sometimes its better to replace if softness is giving way to hardness.....

I haven't tried Cape Cod, but Polywatch by itself didn't work on the badly scratched acrylic crystal on my old Citizen. I used fine wet'n'dry paper, wet, to scour out the worst scratches and scuffs. Then Polywatch on cotton wool to polish out the mess that makes.

7 hours ago, al_kaholik said:

After an evening of Polywatch, Cape Cod on a cotton bud, Cape Cod using its own cloth and more Polywatch, I'm slightly worse off (but not by much whatsoever) than when I started.

Without breaking out the Micromesh is there anything else worth trying? The crystal IS acrylic but tough as old boots.

Al

Sounds like it could be Hardlex then , which is a lot harder than your everyday acrylic, you can get rid of scratches using 800 grit wet and dry then finish off with 1200 grit   I found using a little bit of water helped but even after getting to this stage polywatch doesn’t really help like it does on normal acrylic, you need something a bit more abrasive and plenty of elbow grease. Easier to just replace it to be honest 

i did do a thread on here using wet and dry and polywatch on a seiko crystal a while ago 

Edited by andyclient

Thanks all. 

I'm wondering whether it is in fact mineral. It sounds very plastic. I wasn't aware of polywatch for glass so have ordered some. 

Sanding will be my next port of call if that doesn't work

You can defiantly polish acrylic, the trick is to use a lot of different grits. I recommend using one of those headlamp restoration kits - they come with the perfect selection and the size of the pads is good as well. 

• Thanks 1

Acrylic I've done before, and made a good job of. 

I'm guessing this is some kind of mineral.

On 09/09/2019 at 23:12, Roger the Dodger said:

Polywatch is for acrylic crystals...however, they have produced a product to polish mineral crystals...

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/glass-mineral-polywatch-repair-polish

I haven't tried this, maybe some other members will confirm or deny if it's any good.

I've just tried the Polywatch glass stuff, I don't see it having made any difference whatsoever unfortunately. Either that or the Mido crystal is just very, very hard.

• Thanks 1