• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi,

Just joined, well.... first post after joining a year ago! I wonder if anyone can recommend a touch up for a damaged Grandfather clock dial. The usual damage, the broken away enamel on face from the post attached behind to fix to movement (I dunno what these things are called) On the left of dial I tested using a permanent tyre wall pen, looks okay but it's a bit too white. The right damage was because someone had tried to solder the fixing leg to the dial and burnt the enamel.... When I got the clock a couple of weeks ago both these damages were disguised by over painting that had gone pinkish... there were decal flowers attached, it looked diabolical.... having cleaned all that off it don't look that much better. So what do I do from here? A LOT of work I know.... I even found more details by shining a UV light across the dial in the dark and much to my surprise I could see the makers name (Kellett Bredbury)

kqGcnK_g-stoL5Z6oP0QyvcXkc5Gf9ILw0x_TgGl

YGKbbe4OTdGB1o-zJ3KNt2jPy7LA2k98PaBK8SyI  o8vbCDStlNgsxPUuknKSdndXBUkJ3UdL71qOxF-v

You can buy enamelling repair kits, but not easy to do. Getting the right colour is an art in its self. Of course you could take to a restorer, but not cheap. How old is the clock? Sometimes better to leave, if old and valuable, as restoring can devalue. 

2 hours ago, stdape said:

You can buy enamelling repair kits, but not easy to do. Getting the right colour is an art in its self. Of course you could take to a restorer, but not cheap. How old is the clock? Sometimes better to leave, if old and valuable, as restoring can devalue. 

Thank you for your reply, I can imagine that it would be difficult and probably impossible to make anywhere near exactly right. It's very hard to decide what to do and how far to go with keeping the clocks value in mind as well. The dial had been restored a long time ago and looks poor to my eye but was probably quite acceptable to the owner of that time.

I'm aware of a restorer near to me but I'd imagine the cost would be high probably more than what I paid for the clock and I was stretching myself in just buying the clock let alone cost of restoration. 

There is a clock label dating it as 1770 and I'm based near Peterborough.

Jr3D_ZBhRNVUIVKum_KWWq8GhWJw3p2d4uxK9G9C