• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
WRENCH

New Land Rover Defender.

Is it me or is there a distinct resemblance to a Skoda Yeti ?

Anyway here's that lady off top gear to tell you more,

Just imagine what'll happen to all that electronic nonsense after a few years use on a hill farm. :laughing2dw: and the "configuration" of that upholstery .

Edited by WRENCH

I like it, but I hated the old one. Farmers and the like love it, but we had one as a patrol vehicle in the Borders. Yes it is a great work horse and we could get most places, but on the road it cornered like a tank.  Not good for trying to get to a call quickly..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Just imagine what'll happen to all that electronic nonsense after a few years use on a hill farm. 

I'm with @WRENCH on that one, all the electronic gadgetry looks very impressive when it's new, but will almost certainly become an expensive liability after a few years of extreme off-roading... although obviously most of them will probably only be used for the school run and going to the shops... :laughing2dw:

I'm not a fan of 4x4's in general, but to be honest I quite like the look of those bad boys.  I think I must be getting old....... :whistle:

Indian owned company, Slovakian made go to the Frankfurt motor show to see one. You can almost smell the heritage.

That said it looks alright, perfect for the yummy mummy school run, I'd turn my head to look at it.

Doubt Fred Dibner would buy one, if he were alive.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

Indian owned company, Slovakian made go to the Frankfurt motor show to see one. You can almost smell the heritage.

That said it looks alright, perfect for the yummy mummy school run, I'd turn my head to look at it.

Doubt Fred Dibner would buy one, if he were alive.

Only because Fred was a bit tight with his money:laugh:

He'd have have one for nowt though.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

You can almost smell the heritage.

That's not what I'm smelling.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRK-E0KJilNakBOQ9WJpDK

• Haha 1

It just isn’t a defender! 

Ive had a couple of old model defenders, and although I spent more time under it than in it! I could fix most things with a 2lb hammer, a flat screwdriver and a shifter!! :laughing2dw:

As stated above, this is more for the school run than the farm! 

Mmm I wonder, since the EU laws killed the old defender, will Brexit mean we can build them again? 

Edited by Teg62x
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Teg62x said:

Mmm I wonder, since the EU laws killed the old defender, will Brexit mean we can build them again? 

Yes, here's the Land Rover "Brexit".

series2a.jpg

Queens got her order in,

2019-land-rover-defender-queen-elizabeth

One for the wellies,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQch9DltLjWQIdUftLLc-U

5 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Yes, here's the Land Rover "Brexit".

series2a.jpg

Queens got her order in,

2019-land-rover-defender-queen-elizabeth

One for the wellies,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQch9DltLjWQIdUftLLc-U

As long as she doesn’t let Phil drive it !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The new Discovery Defender is far too expensive (it's made in Slovakia ffs), far too complex (electronics!!!), too gadgety, too shiny (ie too blingy and easy to damage) and just isn't a replacement for the Defender, however capable it is off road, because it simply isn't a workhorse.  I guarantee it won't last as long as an original (even if others will have to prove that long after I'm pushing up daisies :laugh:)

The point of the original was it was simple, practical, rugged, could take a rough life, easy to fix (yourself), parts were cheap, there was very little to go wrong (even if it did do so alot :yes:).  The new one isn't any of those things, apart from the going wrong alot perhaps :laughing2dw:.

But there is hope with 'Projekt Grenadier';

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ineos-bridgend-factory-talks-very-advanced-minister-claims

:thumbs_up:

Edited by RTM Boy

18 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

The point of the original was it was simple, practical, rugged, could take a rough life, easy to fix (yourself), parts were cheap, there was very little to go wrong (even if it did do so alot :yes:).  The new one isn't any of those things, apart from the going wrong alot perhaps :laughing2dw:.

I had a succession of series 3 109's and they were an instrument of torture, granted they were good off road, but Bought a Hi-Lux, over 100.000 miles on it when it went away, nothing other than servicing, one new exhaust and some tyres. It still had the original rear brake shoes and only one set of pads on the front.