• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
bdalg1

Christopher Ward general opinion

Having read and participated in this thread I did a modest bit of research and it still seems that up until very recently CW customer service was a joke and an embarrassment. They appear to be "reacting" to events and have had to employ people and re-organise their CS to cope with the negative issues over the summer. So personally if I found a watch I liked from their stable , I would still want to know that the company knows its ar5e from it elbow with regards CS and stories about Battery change service costs rising 300% in a year also appear a bit alarming. So I am still wary, but a enthusiast from afar , still liable to one day purchase a fork-less model.:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Nigelp said:

im surprised @BondandBigM hasnt got one they are sort of the caddish steiny then?

Grossly overpriced mickey mouser, they can't even get their sales pitch right. 

So I think I'll pass on that one

plQWmxtqp

I wore a Sub. 

:biggrin:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

One thing seems apparent... CW appear to be getting a lot of people into watches for the first time , and most of them seem to buy more than one. It's not scientific, but a quick stock take of all the people I know who own CW watches , all but one of them bought CW "as their first serious watch" and all own more than one CW example. 

One of my footy mates owns five of them, has never heard of many Brands I go on about and has only ever owned disposable watched prior to his CW collecting. So sales nonsense and CS disasters aside , they must be doing something right I guess......

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

plQWmxtqp

I wore a Sub. 

ah maybe thats the CW that this bond wore?

but yep you are right that ad is grossly misleading. 

wait for it in the sale for half price eh?

9 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

One thing seems apparent... CW appear to be getting a lot of people into watches for the first time , and most of them seem to buy more than one. It's not scientific, but a quick stock take of all the people I know who own CW watches , all but one of them bought CW "as their first serious watch" and all own more than one CW example. 

One of my footy mates owns five of them, has never heard of many Brands I go on about and has only ever owned disposable watched prior to his CW collecting. So sales nonsense and CS disasters aside , they must be doing something right I guess......

teas popular

with the fellas in the above advert too 

22 hours ago, ZenArcade said:

I dont really get that?  Christopher Ward is the name of one of the co owners it was chosen between them to use his name on the brand as it was the easiest to use/remember.  I really dont see any meaning behind it.  Its not like its Bremont with some odd story about a plane crash landing in a French field CW is just some blokes name.  Its a bit like seeing a vintage Smiths watch and saying "Dont like that, sounds a bit English to me....sounds like they are trying too hard"

no real substance you mean then? 

8 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

sounds like they are trying too hard"

good point. 

9 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

vintage Smiths watch

yes and they are good if you ignore the Welsh ones. 

I must admit - I like the look of a lot of their watches - but something has always stopped me buying one (usually the purchase of another make :biggrin:).

However, I think their newish moon phase is quite intriguing (although a tad overpriced) - so who knows, might take the plunge soon 

On 11/09/2019 at 20:23, Nigelp said:

yep that sums it up for me. A bit wallyish 

toff

Image result for terry thomas

a bit wardour street Bentley

Image result for old jaguar mk7

I can see that a bit wants to be posh but isn't?

a bit tattoos and working class.  

In a suit and tie?

A bit City Boy with working class accent in a 

Image result for porsche 911 1980s yuppie

im starting to like them now...

im surprised @BondandBigM hasnt got one they are sort of the caddish steiny then?

Does the guy with the porsche realise he has damaged the offside fog light ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris 810 said:

That sums up CW's QC issues! There was a return of the wonky 12o/c markers on the C60 yesterday.

16 hours ago, Chris 810 said:

nuts are loose 

6 hours ago, Caller. said:

That sums up CW's QC issues! There was a return of the wonky 12o/c markers on the C60 yesterday.

It's why CW's claims of their RRPs "reflecting lack of dealership uplift" is nonsense. For any £900 watch therefore they are claiming its equivalent to a £1800 watch on the high street. Can't remember the last time I saw a Swatch group or TAG watch with a reject dial.

In my books , loose alignment on dials belong on sub £300 watches ....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

It's why CW's claims of their RRPs "reflecting lack of dealership uplift" is nonsense. For any £900 watch therefore they are claiming its equivalent to a £1800 watch on the high street. Can't remember the last time I saw a Swatch group or TAG watch with a reject dial.

In my books , loose alignment on dials belong on sub £300 watches ....

They are no better than Hamilton / Tissot at the same price points.

Their C5 dress watch at £495 is priced about right.

It is in no way a bargain or punching above its weight at all.

• Like 1

I have never owned one so won't comment on the quality, some of the designs are OK but generally they haven't won me over. I find the brand name and the printing of "Christopher Ward" or "Chr. Ward"  on the dials irritating beyond rationality, a simple "Ward" would have been much better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/09/2019 at 17:06, PC-Magician said:

Regulation would sort that out.

The watch is about two years, and has only been worn for about 20 days in that time. I contacted Chris ward who informed me that the accuracy falls within the tolerance. They offered to regulate it at a charge. I would ask, if they can make the watch more accurate, why don't they do it when they make the watch. I have 5 watches with NH35 movements, all of them are more accurate. 

2 hours ago, MSC said:

They are no better than Hamilton / Tissot at the same price points.

Their C5 dress watch at £495 is priced about right.

It is in no way a bargain or punching above its weight at all.

If Chris Ward are overpriced at £500, what does that make a Rolex ?

21 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

The watch is about two years, and has only been worn for about 20 days in that time. I contacted Chris ward who informed me that the accuracy falls within the tolerance. They offered to regulate it at a charge. I would ask, if they can make the watch more accurate, why don't they do it when they make the watch. I have 5 watches with NH35 movements, all of them are more accurate. 

I have fourteen they are all within cosc but as with most manfactures unless the are chronometre grade it can be pot luck.

NH35 yes they can be very accurate I have a few but some needed regulating to fall within cosc.

48 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

I didn't say overpriced, just not the value they make them out to be compared to high street brands like Hamilton.

As for Rolex, I don't know really because I met a few Rolex owners and their watches did go up in value ( eventually )

On 12/09/2019 at 01:42, BondandBigM said:

plQWmxtqp

I wore a Sub. 

o1v-gmt_2017_1kx1k_02.1545380191.jpg

£457.00

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

o1v-gmt_2017_1kx1k_02.1545380191.jpg

£457.00

And even this one is grossly overpriced.

You can get a “from ten yards” genuine fake for a lot less. About fifty quid or so in some places 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

1 hour ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

don't mention the war 

14 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

You can get a “from ten yards” genuine fake for a lot less. About fifty quid or so in some places 

crown looks sh1te

15 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Or you can get the original Rolex on C24 for between 15 and 20 grand

2 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Or you can get the original Rolex on C24 for between 15 and 20 grand

Yea but the superlative chronometer certificate is so worth having, I don't know how I live without it.

My Squale 1521 that loses 1 second in the day and gains 1 second at night and is bang on to the second accurate with my atomic watch every morning is a real let down.

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

Yes, but the GMT hand works on that one. :laughing2dw:

No issues with the Steinhart the build quality is excellent I have one which I purchased on here some four or so years ago and will not part with it.

As for the CW  again no issues simply superb no other word for it.

I thought for a while before buying a Mark II C600 Trident Black/Red. It is great. The resin strap was replaced for a Nato and this was easy with the quick release function on their watches. I cannt say enough about the quality and value for money.