• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
bdalg1

Christopher Ward general opinion

Just wondered what the general consensus was on Christopher Ward - I have handled a few and they seem to be growing in quality - especially at their price point. The new C60 feels much better quality than my Longines Legend Diver which is twice the price!!

I could do with a nice mid range daily wearer and would CW fit the bill??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have their 1st watch, the C5 MK 1. I don't know its history because I only bought it used a few weeks back

but it has the original leather strap and butterfly clasp, is very comfortable and runs 1 second fast in 12 hours on the wrist.

I think the modern version is the MK 3 and is £495 and looks more refined and possibly higher quality but I have now handled one so not sure.

There is tough competition at their price point though, I like Hamilton dress watches more in design than the CW dress watch and have a jazzmaster that I am very happy with.

7 hours ago, MSC said:

I only have their 1st watch, the C5 MK 1.

Surely their first watch should have been called the C1...? :tongue:

Back on topic, Christopher Ward seem to have received mixed reviews, and their change of logo caused almost as much uproar as Brexit :laughing2dw:  I don't have any personal experience, but from what I have seen they are nice looking and well made watches that are a welcome change from all the usual big hitters.  Not for me, but if you like 'em I'd go ahead and buy one (but not at full price, as they seem to have fairly regular sales and special offers)

9 hours ago, bdalg1 said:

The new C60 feels much better quality than my Longines Legend Diver which is twice the price!!

Although the Longines Legend Diver is over priced ,, its not lesser quality to the C60. The C60 just has a different build. The Legend Diver was a Heritage release and was designed to emulate the watches of decades past when cases were lighter and the overall wearing experience was a lot different.

Despite their lack of a Primary Logo, their designs are fresh and mostly well thought out. And value is pretty good too. The ones I have seen up close and personal were not too shabby at all even at their full RRP. That said of course , as mentioned above their history for sales gives many a lost confidence in their pricing. But all of this is not the reason I do not own one. The reason I have stayed away is because of their customer service. I know many on here have had wonderful experiences with them , but a good football buddy of mine had a nightmare getting a watch repaired under warranty with CW clearly not giving a to55 about his situation. 

For CW it has been a numbers game. They sell more on average to "serial collectors of their brand" than most other brands and they have ( it appears ) developed a "reactive" customer services approach I suspect due to the lesser wrist time their watches get hence a greater number not really being tested within warranty too much.

But there is no doubt the watches themselves are well made mostly and can offer terrific value. I know a few people in the real world who own them, and all rave about them more so than my other buddies do about their watches ... so that says a lot I think.

I am prejudiced against them.   I don't like the constant sales and brand image.   I am not saying I know a great deal about their watches but at the price point I would much likely choose a longer established brand with more esteemed credentials with regards to servicing etc. 

Bassically nothing about them have won me over and given the watches they have to compete with they are fighting a losing battle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As above they are superb I have a few shall we say:whistling:and they punch well above weight.

will I buy another? Christmas is coming :yes:.

Don't bother with their forum though.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

As above they are superb I have a few shall we say:whistling:and they punch well above weight.

will I buy another? Christmas is coming :yes:.

Agree about the forum, very patronising, it's why I came here:wink:

With regards CW, I've had 3, black Trident 600, sold it, bronze Trident 600, beautiful watch, just too big for me at 43mm, sold it, C65 auto, another lovely watch, just didn't gell, sent it back. All quality pieces. I also have 3 Steinharts, all of which I'm keeping. Says something :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, bdalg1 said:

I would say so. I've had a very good look at a couple owned by friends. Buy at the right price (which is what I'll do when I get round to it).

49 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

I wholeheartedly agree, Jon.

Members of their admin, you know who you are :yes:, still chooses to make derogatory comments/innuendo about former members of this forum.

Shame on you!

I would have expected better from you, Sir.

• Like 1

Thanks for the opinions.....I am still not sure re CW.

What would opinions be on Squale instead? Gorgeous looking watches!!

1 hour ago, Karrusel said:

Members of their admin, you know who you are :yes:, still chooses to make derogatory comments/innuendo about former members of this forum.

Shame on you!

Sad pathetic individuals.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bdalg1 said:

Thanks for the opinions.....I am still not sure re CW.

What would opinions be on Squale instead? Gorgeous looking watches!!

The Squale that look like a Rolex are on par with Steinhart in my opinion but better looking I think.

No idea whats going on between forums I happen to use both (Though clearly dont use them enough!)

As for CW watches I have owned many from the very first logo to the present and I would say the build quality has improved over the years and although the prices have increased they havent been as OTT as some would suggest.  

In comparison to some of the big high street brands I would say they offer better value for money and considerably more interesting options than many of them and that includes Longines (And I have owned several including vintage Longines)  The LLD just looks like an oversized, over polished overpriced watch with a pedestrian offer nothing movement thrown in.  The price is now in the realm of silly money for what it is I dont care what the so called "heritage" is behind it and the big ugly date function does it no favours.  There are far better and cheaper options out there (Oris for example)

The constant sales is the huge minus and I know they increase their sales but I think its a bad model for a watch company.  Same reason I would never buy a Raymond Weil watch (Aside from their boring offer nothing watches) but its similar in principle.  Scratching around looking for or waiting on the best price for the watch you want is never great nor would it be paying north of a grand for a watch only to see it a month later discounted by £400.  Thankfully I have never been stung that way but I have bought watches in their sales and thought just that, imagine being the poor sod who just paid over a grand for this and I now have it for just over £500!

Other than that really, excellent watches very good quality I have never had a problem with their customer service which I have always thought was excellent and I think a great deal of their line up is way and above better than any of their high street competitors.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bdalg1 said:

Just wondered what the general consensus was on Christopher Ward - I have handled a few and they seem to be growing in quality - especially at their price point. The new C60 feels much better quality than my Longines Legend Diver which is twice the price!!

I have the C60-600 Trident with the better logo. I am not sure how the watch can be faulted, apart from the fact it's not particularly accurate 

pGPmhZB.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

I have the C60-600 Trident with the better logo. I am not sure how the watch can be faulted, apart from the fact it's not particularly accurate 

I assisted in the purchase of that model for a family member and indeed for the money he paid I thought it was about the best I had seen in that bracket.... I can't get on with the fork thingy though so for me I passed on it , but certainly had a lot going for it. I have heard it said that this model has a bit of an identity crisis but I don't agree with those sentiments, It works on almost all levels aesthetically everything seems logically put together. Great watch.

I have one purchased from sales corner, its a quartz and its one I enjoy wearing on a daily basis , not worrying about marks but it seems to be better at not marking than some of the so called better watches I have  ( although I do remove them when they occur but that's just my OCD ), there are others CW models I would like but wont pay full rrp price for .

deano

2 hours ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

pGPmhZB.jpg

Regulation would sort that out.

6 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Shame on you!

Well, I'm a regular user of the CW forum - was just there before coming here - and that has all passed me by?

But their forum is rather staid and quiet and they have just had another debate about adding a like button (they would probably have kittens if they came here) and it all seems to be a huge concern for them. It was a newer, younger member who proposed it this time. You'd have thought they might have said, oh well, the forum is quiet, what the hell, we'll have a like button and review it three months down the road or whatever, but it has caused too much angst for that.

Generally, I have a love / hate relationship with the brand. I like a lot of what they are now doing, but I can't stand the bull**** that comes from Mike France. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but being one of 100 businessmen to offer advice to others in articles and via interviews. His stuff about the importance of CS isn't matched by what CW do. It has got worse. It has never recovered from Chris Wards wife standing down. The forum has had thread after thread where regular members as well as newbies relayed their horror stories, but it was only when it started affecting their trust pilot score that CW took an interest and they still haven't got it right. Three classics: A member from 2013 sent his watch in for a service, wondering what had happened to it., CW eventually admitted they had sent it 'back' to Ireland by mistake. It took them over 3-months to get it back. Another long running thread was lit up the other week by the owner being confused by the fact his returned watch had a different logo on the dial to the one he sent off! In other words a different dial. No-one could believe that and the last I can recall he was checking whether he had got the wrong watch back. The last was an email about a watch they had seemingly mislaid, where they offered hopefully that they were now asking everyone to check their workstations for the watch. There's heaps more like that.

But now they have secured funding and not relying on directors loans, maybe they can splash the cash to put these issues right.

But even with the latest designs, not all ends well for them. I can accept companies will get things wrong, but when they scrap a whole new motorsport range admitting they can't afford the cost of manufacturing the case (a Bremont lookalike) after what must have been months and months of costings, market research and so on, then maybe the guys in charge need to consider bringing some new blood in? It didn't help that apart from the case, the dials resembled Chopards Mille Miglia range.

But, but, but, most of their new designs are kicking on. The logo and direction of the company isn't for me right now, which is a shame, as they have many dedicated fans who have abandoned the brand who would willingly return. They are concentrating on attracting younger buyers and inadvertently the message they have sent out in doing so is saying to older supporters, we're not interested in you anymore. So be it, company's move on, but most try and take their fan club with them. 

I genuinely do wish them well and maybe their funding (they are already recruiting) will enable them to start delivering more consistently what they have in part, already demonstrated they have the ability to do..

Edited by Caller.
  • Like 1

i had a trident quartz diver i think it was a 300m like the white one above. It was 40mm i think. I bought it on here for 190 quid and it was basically a new watch, never worn and perfect boxed tagged and everything. I kept it a week. Well made but im just not keen on them its not even the looks as they look pretty good, but i cant gel with them but for a couple of hundred quid there are worse watches, i wouldnt pay more id rather have a decent citizen or seiko. 

The design, slightly pretentious logo/name just leaves me feeling a little cold; I don't think I would buy one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KO_81 said:

The design, slightly pretentious logo/name just leaves me feeling a little cold; I don't think I would buy one. 

yep that sums it up for me. A bit wallyish 

toff

Image result for terry thomas

a bit wardour street Bentley

Image result for old jaguar mk7

11 minutes ago, KO_81 said:

pretentious

I can see that a bit wants to be posh but isn't?

a bit tattoos and working class.  

In a suit and tie?

A bit City Boy with working class accent in a 

Image result for porsche 911 1980s yuppie

im starting to like them now...

im surprised @BondandBigM hasnt got one they are sort of the caddish steiny then?

• Haha 1

I dont really get that?  Christopher Ward is the name of one of the co owners it was chosen between them to use his name on the brand as it was the easiest to use/remember.  I really dont see any meaning behind it.  Its not like its Bremont with some odd story about a plane crash landing in a French field CW is just some blokes name.  Its a bit like seeing a vintage Smiths watch and saying "Dont like that, sounds a bit English to me....sounds like they are trying too hard"