• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Rotundus

The Cull has started ...

one in , so up to 9.  so finally started the cull.

so far one ohpf and one sold.   I had 3 black dialled 3 handers and thats prob 2 of them out the door. so thats down to 7.

going to wait a few days to see if / what is next to be offered up … the idea is not so much fund raising (though that is always nice) but getting a few more free slots in the box and helping to justify next purchase. nothing on the radar yet but it wont be a dive watch and probably wont be quartz. I have always said I am not a collector :thumbsup: just a serial dolphin. :laugh:

anyone else culling ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

anyone else culling ? 

Not exactly but a few may go over the next few months due to failing the wearing and collectibilty tests.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rotundus said:

anyone else culling ? 

No.

Offered three for sale a few weeks ago, more because I thought I had too many than because I didn’t like them. Result was no interest at all.

Now I am just accepting that my taste is different from that of most and getting on enjoying my little collection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rotundus said:

anyone else culling ? 

I'm not culling - unless you count the Helgray that I'm selling, & getting derisory offers for, on Ebay - I'm just not buying :) 

• Sad 1

Thinking about a cull, but don't have time to sort out how/when I should go about it. In the meantime, I'm just keeping an eye on what doesn't go on the wrist.

• Like 1

Not a cull but I did sell one last month in order to raise funds to replace it but ended up replacing it with two more  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

Not a cull but I did sell one last month in order to raise funds to replace it but ended up replacing it with two more  :)

Er, I think that's the complete opposite of a cull mate... :whistle:

:laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Yes...8 already gone, and two more still on the SC. Maybe some more when I get back...I'm down to around 6 at the moment. :clap:

Bugger, that's annoying, most of your stuff is right up my street but the PayPal watch fund is empty at the moment... :mad0218: :laughing2dw:

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Yes...8 already gone, and two more still on th SC. Maybe some more when I get back...I'm down to around 6 at the moment. :clap:

Retirement doesn't necessarily mean you need less watches does it :huh:

• Like 1

No.
Offered three for sale a few weeks ago, more because I thought I had too many than because I didn’t like them. Result was no interest at all.
Now I am just accepting that my taste is different from that of most and getting on enjoying my little collection.
I told you like flogging ferraris at burnley car auction. We all like them though id have em if i could but cant stretch to more than 50 quid each guv.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Yes...8 already gone, and two more still on th SC. Maybe some more when I get back...I'm down to around 6 at the moment. :clap:
3 watch rule rules rog

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Turpinr said:

Retirement doesn't necessarily mean you need less watches does it :huh:

Probably not in every case, but I now find myself far less interested in what time of day it is, as I no longer need to be tied  by time anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Probably not in every case, but I now find myself far less interested in what time of day it is, as I no longer need to be tied  by time anymore.

I can see your point, but.... don't you find it strange not wearing a watch on your wrist?  I feel lost without one, it just feels wrong to me.

I've forgotten to put one on a couple of times at the start of my monthly work visits to Austria (damn those 4:00am starts! :(), so I ended up buying a cheapie from Lidl and I leave that in the office.  Now, if I do forget in future, at least I'll have something to wear while I'm over here :tongue:  Not very interesting, but here's my "emergency" watch:

20190403_175402

Looks quite respectable, it's light as a feather and comfortable to wear, but the outer bezel is... er... let's just say... not very precise :laughing2dw:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure how much of a cull you can have when you've only got 9 watches :biggrin: Sounds to me like you need to buy more more more!

I'm on holiday at the mo and taking the opportunity to see which watches I actually miss and which I could reasonably happily cull.  So far I've identified around 10 which could go. In theory. :whistle:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

I can see your point, but.... don't you find it strange not wearing a watch on your wrist?  I feel lost without one, it just feels wrong to me.

I suspect that like most things you give up or stop doing, you eventually get used to it and it becomes the norm. I find now that if I do put a watch on, I'm immediately aware of it, where as before I was never really concious of it...especially my Casio daily beater. Now, I only put one on for special occasions, and it's always the first thing I take off when I get back home.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Neither can i, working with machinery means very strict health and safety rules.

I don't work on manual M/Cs anymore so it shouldn't matter but I'm too old to change 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Rotundus said:

anyone else culling ?

I am trying to, I am on 37, but I think 30 would be enough.  My Gucci is for sale but only because I want a Fortis with the same movement.  I have a great solar Citizen quartz field watch, black dial everyday watch, but I don't need an everyday watch since I have 36 other watches, but it would be said to see it go - it looks great on the black leather NATO just now.  I do jave two identical Timex Sprites, but one is just for looking at, the other is for wearing - I plan to service it myself, so that may take me down to 36 ....    hmmmmm ....the ones I would sell would not bring in much funds.  Maybe my Squale divers quartz chrono, but I don't have another divers chrono, and I like having a Squale.  OK, I'm a collector!

3 hours ago, GASHEAD said:

In theory. :whistle:

exactly

5 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I now find myself far less interested in what time of day it is, as I no longer need to be tied  by time anymore.

I am always looking at my watch, but seldom remember to check the time :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rotundus said:

anyone else culling ? 

Yes, started slowly.