• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Caller.

Interesting new Bremont.......

If only for the fact it's main market doesn't appear to be the UK. It's launch taking place in Hong Kong, where they have a boutique.

Interesting story behind it. Chinese pilots fighting for the US to defend China against Japan in WW2. More info in the link.

https://www.bremont.com/blogs/blogbook/bremont-launches-special-edition-mwii-flying-tiger-in-collaboration-with-mw-michael-wong

Great video - but I have to confess I have no idea who Michael Wong is. The launch was funny, in that Giles English looked and dressed like the quintessential Englishman abroad and appears wonderfully oblivious to the fact. Put him amongst a crowd of a 1000 and ask an onlooker to identify the Englishman and they would point to him straight away! :biggrin: 

Bremont-MW-II-Flying-tigers-Limited-Edit

Edited by Caller.
Corrected link!

I agree with you, Caller, about the profile of Michael Wong. What I don't understand is that although I find it perfectly acceptable to produce a watch celebrating the Chinese pilots who fought for the US during World War Two, I just don't see why Bremont also had to bring Michael Wong, modern helicopter pilot, into the equation. Very odd.:)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I agree with you, Caller, about the profile of Michael Wong. What I don't understand is that although I find it perfectly acceptable to produce a watch celebrating the Chinese pilots who fought for the US during World War Two, I just don't see why Bremont also had to bring Michael Wong, modern helicopter pilot, into the equation. Very odd.:)

The answer is in the link. They were introduced to him years ago and this is their 2nd collaboration. I think he approached them about the idea for the watch. 

• Thanks 1

An actor and pilot and (presumably) big in that part of the world. Bremont aren't stupid -- find a story that appeals to the largest watch market in the world and use a local ambassador. Moden money making 101.

5 hours ago, longplay said:

Bremont aren't stupid -- find a story that appeals

Bremont are just doing what watch companies do. Omega flog the moon watch to death,,,, it's just the watchy thing to do. Their lack of stupidity is up there for me .... very savvy company.

Think there was an episode of Pawn Stars on tv recently where someone was trying to sell some flags or something from this squadron, not sure they got much.

Gosh, dear Sabailand, that does seem pretty expensive to me. If I had four grand to spend on a watch, it certainly wouldn't be that one. Sorry Bremont, but once again I just am not as impressed as I feel I ought to be about a British brand.:)

12 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

4 grand!:laughing2dw:

piss take. 

Seagull do some Chinese Air force reissue watches for under £200 for the quintessential Englishman. :laughing2dw:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Seagull do some Chinese Air force reissue watches for under £200 for the quintessential Englishman. :laughing2dw:

s-l1600.jpg

Funny that was the first thing I thought when I read this thread "Have Seagull not been doing a Chinese air force watch for years?"  That being said is the above watch not just a PVD MB watch with a Chinese military stamp on it?

4 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

s-l1600.jpg

thank you 

12 hours ago, rolex said:

I just love that watch but it’s a bit pricey 

I agree. But it's aimed at the Chinese Market in and around HK. That is a very affluent market. Turns out Mr Wong is a famous Hong Kong movie actor and director. Great expose for Bremont to a huge market.  

16 hours ago, Nigelp said:

4 grand!:laughing2dw:

piss take. 

....and that’s what always puts me off with Bremont. They seem overpriced to me but then what isn’t nowadays?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caller. said:

I agree. But it's aimed at the Chinese Market in and around HK. That is a very affluent market. Turns out Mr Wong is a famous Hong Kong movie actor and director. Great expose for Bremont to a huge market.  

"Mr Wong from Hong Kong to see you minister" that schoolboy within me can't resist a little smile.

The watch for me looks a little drab and the story doesn't excite me but as others have said maybe the Chinese will lap it up.

Lucky really as I couldn't afford it anyhow :) 

2 hours ago, relaxer7 said:

....and that’s what always puts me off with Bremont. They seem overpriced to me but then what isn’t nowadays?

yes exactly in all fairness to bremont my comment wasnt to single them out, id rather pay 4 grand for a nice motor and a couple of hundred quid for a nice watch. Paying thousands for a watch is looking sillier and sillier. 

Ive had the ones that cost thousands and they never felt much better. 

Better with a vintage omega for a few hundred notes. 

And a merc e500 for 3 grand 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201909102060878?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&model=E CLASS&postcode=bb95hg&minimum-badge-engine-size=5.0&sort=price-asc&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&page=1

much rather have that merc than the watch...

7a1fb84cbff94445b2741adb16191aa9.jpg

thousands for a watch...got to be having a laugh

21 hours ago, Nigelp said:

much rather have that merc than the watch...

Watch is better on fuel, and you can hide it under a shirt cuff. Never tried driving to Dundee on a watch though. :hmmm9uh:

You could wear this on your wrist,

car1.jpg?resize=1200,630

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thomasr said:

Bremont use sellita movements in a number of their watches. Surely enough for the watch purist to run a mile

I thought it was just the solo but would happily be corrected? I thought it largely ETA with a number of modified movement parts made in the UK. I can't see a standard sellita getting to chronometer level, which all Bremont watches are. I believe they are still on course for the introduction of their new in-house movement next year, which I am looking forward to, as it will be the first UK designed movement, to be primarily manufactured in the UK, by a mainstream UK brand.  

55 minutes ago, Caller. said:

I thought it was just the solo but would happily be corrected? I thought it largely ETA with a number of modified movement parts made in the UK. I can't see a standard sellita getting to chronometer level, which all Bremont watches are. I believe they are still on course for the introduction of their new in-house movement next year, which I am looking forward to, as it will be the first UK designed movement, to be primarily manufactured in the UK, by a mainstream UK brand.  

Not sure exactly how many are but the arrow mono pusher chrono is a modified sellita too running at cosc

31 minutes ago, Thomasr said:

Not sure exactly how many are but the arrow mono pusher chrono is a modified sellita too running at cosc

Movement

Modified calibre 13 1/4’’’ BE-51AE automatic, 27 jewels, Glucydur balance, Anachron balance spring, Nivaflex 1 mainspring, 28,800 bph (4Hz), 48-hour power reserve. Bremont moulded and decorated rotor.

Ratings and Certification

Chronometer rated to ISO 3159 standard.

14 minutes ago, Caller. said:

Movement

Modified calibre 13 1/4’’’ BE-51AE automatic, 27 jewels, Glucydur balance, Anachron balance spring, Nivaflex 1 mainspring, 28,800 bph (4Hz), 48-hour power reserve. Bremont moulded and decorated rotor.

Ratings and Certification

Chronometer rated to ISO 3159 standard.

"Tucked inside the case and its solid steel back we find the Bremont BE-51AE, which is based on Sellita's SW510 MP movement. Using 27 jewels and offering a 48-hour power reserve, the SW510 ticks at 4 Hz and is fitted by Bremont with a custom rotor design. As is usually true for Bremont movements, the BE-51AE is COSC-certified (ISO 3159). "

• Like 1