• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
ZenArcade

Tissot Watches

I have always had a soft sport for Tissot as they were one of the first watches I ever purchased when I took a real interest in watches (Think it was a Tissot classic gold plated dress watch) For the money it was an excellent watch, quartz movement, nice size, slim case, perfect for a formal meal out and I regret selling it all those years ago.  Since then I have noticed of all watch brands Tissot is one that has not gone OTT in price increase and still produces excellent quality watches for a remarkable price.  

One unique thing they have brought is their powermatic movement with an excellent power reserve that is now used by a number of other brands.  Browsing new releases I see that they have even managed that remarkable feat of putting a date function on a watch without cutting off half a numeral (Longines please take note!) 

I notice over in Switzerland Tissot watches are frequently found in the markets so I guess Tissot back in the day were very much the working mans watch (Along side Omega for that matter which seem to be found in almost equal numbers)

I honestly cant think of another brand in the price point with a similar heritage, excellent price point and quality (And some thanks must be given to the Swatch group for keeping them in this way) Now looking at Seastar dive watch as a nice holiday watch.

Any other owners of a vintage or modern Tissot?

• Like 4

We have three in our family including the Visodate. I currently do not own one, but that will no doubt change at some point. I would say that the only chink in their armour is sometimes illogical design choices than mean small and subtle features effect the overall watch by more than it should. But this is nit picking... they are a fabulous watch brand offering really quality in their mid range that is unrivalled imo.

Yep had a few always feel a bit boring but worthy. Just let a mint t classic go for 40 quid. Had a visodate the reissue paid abot 350 quid traded it for an omega qtz that the bloke wanted 160 quid for on the dark side.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I would rather Hamilton myself, they seem to be sister and brother brands these days and of the same quality / value / history and all that Jazz.

I prefer the Hamilton designs though, but I would hazard a guess that neither brand live up to their quality of old.

As for the power reserve, I would rather a standard 2824 because they are much easier to regulate.

The Powermatic have two dastardly screws on the balance wheel itself and people don't like that design in general.

These are mine, really like them, great finish, look really classy IMO. Also thinking of getting the Heritage 1948 Chrono, tried it on in the Jewelers when I got my Visodate and it's just stunning, and a perfect size for me.

Tissot Heritage Visodate  Cal ETA 2836-2 (This is one I got from my work for my Long service Award, 33 years, when I retired in July)

10a.Tissot Heritage Visodate T019.430.11.041.00 Cal ETA 2836-2 (4)

Tissot Seastar 1000

Tissot Seastar 1000 (TSO 28218) (T1204071103100) (4)-crop

Tissot Ballade Powermatic 80 COSC

Tissot Ballade Powermatic 80 Chronometer T1084081103700 (6)

• Like 6

Some had the same movements as omega back in the day so pretty underrated imho but that can be said for a lot of vintage watches (have the same movement just lack the brand name ) Lanco is another one that shares the same movement as omega and tissot and they can be picked up for a few pounds as not many people  have heard of them, put omega on the dial suddenly they’re hundreds.  The tissots I try and avoid are the front loaders as they can be a pain to get into, just had one of their fibreglass cased models last week, don’t want to see another one of them lol 

Tissot have a lot of nice stuff in their range, but you have to do a bit of digging to find them as they never seem to appear in shop windows. All mine have been mechanical, and I've had several vintage models, all good. This is my remaining modern one.

large.IMG_20181126_120125.jpg.379c2eaded58af799e41772e6edc6a35.jpg

• Like 5

I have owned some vintage and modern Tissot watches , and can't fault them . They are great value for money IMO . I may be purchasing this one soon , very nice .:thumbsup:

pPTh0DB.png

Edited by Tazmo61
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Tazmo61 said:

I have owned some vintage and modern Tissot watches , and can't fault them . They are great value for money IMO . I may be purchasing this one soon , very nice .:thumbsup:

pPTh0DB.png

I saw this watch in Geneva though didnt have the chance to try it on.  It looked quite large something to keep in mind but just a few things about this and others posted.  No cut off numerals, no afterthought date window.  Good movement and perfect for a holiday.  Whats not to like about it?  

I mentioned Longines above because there has been some talk over the past few years that Swatch is trying to move Longines into the market Omega once occupied and Omega into the market to compete with the likes of Rolex.  If thats the case they need to do something more than look through their heritage line up and reproduce old watches oversized with unnecessary date windows or sub dials out of place.  They need to do something a bit more than just slap in any old movement and expect it to compete with other 2K watches.  

Looking at the seastar and the Certina vintage reissue makes me wonder at the price point of the LLD which seems to be jumping in price at the same pace as the Speedmaster.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Good movement and perfect for a holiday.  Whats not to like about it?  

Two things about this watch that may irritate. The crystal appears very very slightly milky in some light conditions... and the size of the dial means the empty space towards the middle make the hour pips look too small. It's why I flipped mine. Great watch ..... but those two points mean't it was sent to new home.

16 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Whats not to like about it?  

Coincidentally I was looking at this very watch in a shop window this afternoon, it does look good, and at under £600 plus the chance of a bit of discount, on the face of it looks a good deal. On a negative, in my experience the leather straps and hardware supplied on Tissot 's leave a bit to be desired. The strap and deployant on the two I have bought (both with a RRP over £1000) both went in the bin, and that was after receiving two replacements under warranty. Which is a shame, because the rest is good.

4 hours ago, Watch_Me said:

I own this one with blue dial (sorry I do not know how to upload my own pics and post them as a link)....any suggestions?

Join the forum gallery. Then it's easy.

https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/store/product/115-gallery-upgrade/

5 hours ago, Graham60 said:

Tissot Ballade Powermatic 80 Chronometer T1084081103700 (6)

What is this one like for legibility ?

• Like 2

From memory Tissot leather watch straps were indeed awful.  That being said, for many watches at that price point once purchased the watch strap is usually the first thing to go for me and that includes bracelets or rubber diver straps.  

56 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

What is this one like for legibility ?

I find I can read it ok, being dress it doesn't have lume so obviously a bit harder in the dark :blind:, but during the day is no problem. Originally, was also looking at the Ballade with the rose gold hands and indices, was thinking like yourself that it might be hard to read silver on silver, but I found a jewelers who only had one of these left and they had reduced the price by £199 to get a sale, so that was a deciding factor.:laughing2dw: And have to say I am happy with the choice.

Did a couple of quick shots on the wrist at slightly different angles and light just to give you a rough idea.

Edited by Graham60
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Tissot have a lot of nice stuff in their range, but you have to do a bit of digging to find them as they never seem to appear in shop windows. All mine have been mechanical, and I've had several vintage models, all good. This is my remaining modern one.

large.IMG_20181126_120125.jpg.379c2eaded58af799e41772e6edc6a35.jpg

I like that, very unusual.

My only Tissot,

48657673907_9490c28ce6_o.jpg

• Like 5

Likewise - my first 'Decent' watch was a Tissot - and F1 TS/X2 so I've also had a soft spot for them.

I went through a phase of buying some Vintage ones, such as a 1920's pocket watch, a 1950's bomber automatic, a Navigator with a Lemania 1343, another with a Valjoux 7733 - and others. Lately I've moved away from more established brands and have bought quite a few Microbrand offerings - which are also excellent value for money 

29 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Yeah - I have the black faced version of that too. Had to send it back to them twice to get it regulated - but now is very accurate.

I got it because at the moment I have to travel a lot overseas - but to be honest (now I'm getting older) I find even the larger modern version is hard to read the cities - and its also made me realise how I much prefer watches with descent lume :)

• Like 1

Back in the day when the Internet was just a twinkle in an IT man's eye, Tissot were regarded as entry level quality watches. By this I mean quality at an affordable price rather than any other meaning.

I've had a couple with ETA 25 jewel movements that were really nice and a bit sorry I sold them in search of better. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ZenArcade said:

I saw this watch in Geneva though didnt have the chance to try it on.  It looked quite large something to keep in mind but just a few things about this and others posted

It's a pity you didn't get the chance to try it on , although i'm sure you would do before purchasing . I have had the chance to try one on and found the strap to be very comfortable . The blue gradient dial is very eye catching and the watch very legible with a good solid build quality . They do wear fairly large though and that may be an issue . I personally find I can wear small vintage watches (33mm) and modern watches up (45mm) depending on the length of a watch and case shape  .  

• Like 1