• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

mix and match?

Hi, I was close  to pulling the trigger on this watch, but the hunter 'cover' is hallmarked, and the back is Nickel.  On closer examination, looks like the back doesn't really fit properly - has this been 'amalgamated'?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1917-18-Black-dial-WW-1-silver-hunter-in-beautiful-condition-A-Schild-Cal-137/323905534221

as per another thread in this forum thought it might be a good idea to ask @simon2

Dear Jet @Jet Jetski, I suppose I would generally adhere to the rule, "If in doubt, leave it out," but as you have linked us to the watch in question we might as well take a look at the pictures provided by the seller. On examination, and by flicking between images of the cover and the caseback, I feel that the back is nickel or nickel silver, having a slightly greenish hue, while the front cover is sterling silver. This finding is in line with the fact that we have the word, "NICKEL" on the caseback together together with a serial number that doesn't seem to match the serial number on the hunter cover. I notice that the seller has restated yesterday beneath the original advert that the watch is, in fact, sterling silver throughout, but I am not convinced (I should of course note that the crown is almost certainly brass). If it were me, Jet, I would leave the watch well alone as I suspect, as do you, that all is not quite right.:)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I would leave the watch

I bought a much cheaper one instead elsewhere, which means I need not worry about the provenance, even though I believe I have chosen a fairly original watch - even the crystal is yellow; and though I know it is losing a lot of time (10 mins per day) the money I saved will pay for a service and, maybe, repair - I did not ID the movement yet but it looks like a close relative of the AS 137; but it does have perlage, whereas our nickel / silver chap does not.  I'll post pics when it arrives. 

p.s. 'up north' we have a similar saying: 'if in doubt, do nowt'

p.p.s. it will be a stablemate for my other 'yellow lens' / fixed lugs watch ...

No photo description available.

• Like 1