Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Richard734

Tudor v Rolex

Recommended Posts

So I was having a good ‘watch Porn’ internet session this morning, and I seem to find myself much preferring Tudor over Rolex (but Omega over both:))

is just me or are Tudor making the nicer looking watches out of the 2? Ignoring price and the other bits, simply to look at I think they are winning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I don’t think you can get a better quality watch for the money Tudor want. They also have this amazing idea whereby you can walk into a shop and buy one right there and then :laughing2dw:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very subjective of course.  Only you can decide what's better looking.  Personally, I love Tudor and have several.  And I love Rolex, and have several.  For the money, Tudor rocks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as realistically at the moment you can only buy purple or yellow OPs, bi-metal DJs or the odd Explorer ,,, I would say that Tudor smash Rolex out of the park on choice and style because you can actually purchase from ADs there and then any of the Tudor range with the exception of a couple of models. Value wise Tudor is an exceptional offering. My only criticism of Tudor personally is that  many of their watches are styled too much for the Asian market and Rolex obviously style their watches to a world market. But again it matters not on the last point, because the watches are not actually available to buy.

Omega too is still good value in my books because they are constantly investing in improvements to movements and content. The latest Aquaterra for instance is a fantastic watch for £4K and is a better prospect than the Rolex equivalent in bi-metal at twice the price.

Also the Omega De Ville is a watch that often sails under the radar but for me is about the best formal watch you can buy in that price range.

You will still hear the idiotic "Tudor is a poor mans Rolex" from the odd fruitcake who still thinks that theoretical watches you can not buy New are better than ones built pretty much the same for a fraction of the cost that you can buy.... but not heard that old chestnut on here for a while....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

Personally I don’t think you can get a better quality watch for the money Tudor want. They also have this amazing idea whereby you can walk into a shop and buy one right there and then :laughing2dw:

Such as the black bay GMT....oh wait!

:laughing2dw:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

Personally I don’t think you can get a better quality watch for the money Tudor want. They also have this amazing idea whereby you can walk into a shop and buy one right there and then :laughing2dw:

Is there no longer a waiting list for the BB58? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an owner of both (and Omega) each are nice in their own way.  Rolex by and large have retained a rather conservative line up which is good in that you are not bombarded with endless “limited edition” nonsense like other brands.

Tudor seem to be were Rolex can experiment and do things a little different which means both are good in their own right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think the Tudor Black Bay style hands are very ugly, otherwise I may have been tempted to get one.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The three top selling luxury brands currently in my local AD are : Omega , Breitling , Tudor in that order. Each offers something either subtly different , or boldly different and as mentioned above are good in their own right. Anecdotal evidence recently is that younger "jauntier" guys are gravitating towards Tudor whilst older more experienced buyers are tending towards Breitling and Omega. Given the range that Tudor offer , that would seem paradoxical however for every 10 Tudor watches sold in my local , 7 are BB heritage divers or Pelagos. Its not scientific and just my local one but I would assume that the marketing of these companies is achieving pretty much what it's setting out to do. 

What is also interesting is that the AD gained Tudor as a brand 18 months ago at the expense of a competitor 100 metres away that was selling both Rolex and Tudor .... Its appears that in many locations Rolex do not want the two brands at the same AD for reasons I can not really understand ... because the empty tumbleweed Rolex displays are clearly not "loosing" sales to the stocked and ready sister brand because there are not any to sell in the first place. So I found this a little odd .... but it seems to be the case because after a modest bit of research it does appear that the strategy is also being enforced in other selected areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

younger "jauntier" guys

That's me. :laughing2dw: 

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t intend to get into the value/cost/availability thing, honest.

i was just going by the styling, and out of the 2, I prefer the look of the Tudors.

and yes, I blame auto correct for the title, which obviously you can’t change once you realise :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Richard734 said:

i was just going by the styling, and out of the 2, I prefer the look of the Tudors.

I hear many prefer the case profile on the BBs compared to the newer broader lugged Subs ( one reason that the older Subs with the narrower Lugs are sought after in Mint Condition ) ... But having said that The new Subs are still cherished and liked ... @Richy I seem to remember has Both ,,,, newer Sub and BB ....

Edited by JonnyOldBoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I hear many prefer the case profile on the BBs

I thought you said they were "uncomfortable" with sharp edges ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MSC said:

Personally I think the Tudor Black Bay style hands are very ugly, otherwise I may have been tempted to get one.

 

I hear you, and for years I wouldn't touch Tudor, but then I did and since I have never looked back. Think I have 11 Tudor in the collection now. 

2 hours ago, Yanto said:

Is there no longer a waiting list for the BB58? 

I believe there still is a wait on these.  I was offered one recently and was excited to go see it at my local AD.  Didn't buy it though.  Just looked too small on my wrist.

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

The three top selling luxury brands currently in my local AD are : Omega , Breitling , Tudor in that order. Each offers something either subtly different , or boldly different and as mentioned above are good in their own right. Anecdotal evidence recently is that younger "jauntier" guys are gravitating towards Tudor whilst older more experienced buyers are tending towards Breitling and Omega. Given the range that Tudor offer , that would seem paradoxical however for every 10 Tudor watches sold in my local , 7 are BB heritage divers or Pelagos. Its not scientific and just my local one but I would assume that the marketing of these companies is achieving pretty much what it's setting out to do. 

What is also interesting is that the AD gained Tudor as a brand 18 months ago at the expense of a competitor 100 metres away that was selling both Rolex and Tudor .... Its appears that in many locations Rolex do not want the two brands at the same AD for reasons I can not really understand ... because the empty tumbleweed Rolex displays are clearly not "loosing" sales to the stocked and ready sister brand because there are not any to sell in the first place. So I found this a little odd .... but it seems to be the case because after a modest bit of research it does appear that the strategy is also being enforced in other selected areas.

My local Rolex dealer recently got out of also stocking Tudor as they could not keep up with the high-street stores constantly discounting the list prices.  They didn't want to do that and so could not compete.  Same reasons they also ditched Omega and Zenith too.  Tudor, Omega, Zenith, and others, are generally present on the high street and unless it a brand new or rare model there's always a discount to be had if you just ask - and a bigger discount if you are a good negotiator.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TWRG said:

My local Rolex dealer recently got out of also stocking Tudor as they could not keep up with the high-street stores constantly discounting the list prices.  They didn't want to do that and so could not compete. 

 

If they are a Rolex AD then as part of their "agreement" with the mother brand Rolex , they are A. not allowed to discount Either brand and B. Not allowed to issue IFC of more than 24 months...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TWRG said:

I hear you, and for years I wouldn't touch Tudor, but then I did and since I have never looked back. Think I have 11 Tudor in the collection now. 

I believe there still is a wait on these.  I was offered one recently and was excited to go see it at my local AD.  Didn't buy it though.  Just looked too small on my wrist.

My local Rolex dealer recently got out of also stocking Tudor as they could not keep up with the high-street stores constantly discounting the list prices.  They didn't want to do that and so could not compete.  Same reasons they also ditched Omega and Zenith too.  Tudor, Omega, Zenith, and others, are generally present on the high street and unless it a brand new or rare model there's always a discount to be had if you just ask - and a bigger discount if you are a good negotiator.

 

 

Can I ask how much discount they offered you on the BB58 you tried please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Yanto said:

Can I ask how much discount they offered you on the BB58 you tried please?

Sorry, we never got to talking price as I didn't want it.  I would not have expected any discount whatsoever in fairness.  They have a long waiting list for that watch.

40 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

If they are a Rolex AD then as part of their "agreement" with the mother brand Rolex , they are A. not allowed to discount Either brand and B. Not allowed to issue IFC of more than 24 months...

Perhaps ADs are not allowed to discount but most will on hard to shift pieces.  Not a cat in hell's chance on the popular stuff of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TWRG said:

Sorry, we never got to talking price as I didn't want it.  I would not have expected any discount whatsoever in fairness.  They have a long waiting list for that watch.

Thanks. Not heard of any BB58 being offered at a discount. Or indeed being readily available to just walk in and buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TWRG said:

Perhaps ADs are not allowed to discount but most will on hard to shift pieces.  Not a cat in hell's chance on the popular stuff of course.

Tudor ADs sometimes get "sales stock" issued to them by the manufacturer at preferential prices usually for watches that are towards the end of their intended sales cycle. In the UK the law states that that can only happen if the Sales Items have been continuously on sale and at the full price at that AD unless otherwise explicitly stated  etc etc ....

Spotting these Tudor "specials" is also a good way to second guess which models are to be replaced fairly soon.

Regards discounting of regular non-sales watch models, ADs can use a number of means (all legal) to discount watches  without "discounting watches" but the Brand sometimes is "breathing down their neck" to make sure all kudos is preserved.

Its a soupy business.

Edited by JonnyOldBoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I hear many prefer the case profile on the BBs compared to the newer broader lugged Subs ( one reason that the older Subs with the narrower Lugs are sought after in Mint Condition ) ... But having said that The new Subs are still cherished and liked ... @Richy I seem to remember has Both ,,,, newer Sub and BB ....

I have a sub and GMT while the lugs on the sub are a bit thicker than the old version it’s nothing really remarkable.  The BB is rather thick but considering how people seem to swoon over the Seiko MM that looks like a metal fruit bowl on the wrist the BB really isn’t a problem to wear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I hear many prefer the case profile on the BBs compared to the newer broader lugged Subs ( one reason that the older Subs with the narrower Lugs are sought after in Mint Condition ) ... But having said that The new Subs are still cherished and liked ... @Richy I seem to remember has Both ,,,, newer Sub and BB ....

My LV has the old style case and my GMT was the newer bigger lug case. 

The difference to both to look at and wear is barely noticeable. 

po35STbHj

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

My LV has the old style case and my GMT was the newer bigger lug case. 

The difference to both to look at and wear is barely noticeable. 

 

The watch world thrives on differences that are barely noticeable.

43 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

I have a sub and GMT while the lugs on the sub are a bit thicker than the old version it’s nothing really remarkable.  The BB is rather thick but considering how people seem to swoon over the Seiko MM that looks like a metal fruit bowl on the wrist the BB really isn’t a problem to wear.

I really enjoyed my BB ... the flat case was not a main issue in itself , but due to my wrist profile the sharp lug ends were.... Its still a watch I always recommend to people who ask me about watches whilst pointing out that feature ... oh and the fact the leather strap mine originally came on was crap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...