• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
lomax512

Omega Seamaster Cosmic

Hi

A mate of mine has an Omega Seamaster Cosmic but he had the back engraved which has devalued the watch, anyway a back can be sourced or fixed etc.

Maybe tig welding the back and metal polishing it?

Cheers

I'm firmly with Scott on this one. I would never remove an inscription unless it was a necessity and as a historian of watches and other things, I have to stress just how important inscribed and dated examples are as historical evidence.:)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lomax512 said:

But I always thought that stuff on the back would lower the resale price.

if it did your mate will have paid less, so he gets less back.  It won't make masses of difference - certainly not as much as the cost of replacing the case

• Like 1

Just now, scottswatches said:

if it did your mate will have paid less, so he gets less back.  It won't make masses of difference - certainly not as much as the cost of replacing the case

He paid full price for the watch in the 70s I think it was the 70s, he then took the watch to a guy in a market place when he was on sure leave in some far off land (imagine Indiana Jones) and the guy inscribed the back using a chisel and hammer from what I can remember, he also says the watch never runs correctly, I wonder if the guy doing the inscription swapped out the workings or broke the thing with all the tapping on the back, either way it needs sorting I reckon.

Shore leave not sure leave, lol

37 minutes ago, lomax512 said:

he then took the watch to a guy in a market place

So this is considerably worse than just an inscription on the back. He needs someone who knows what they're doing to find out what's going on inside and, if possible, repair it. Worry about the back when the watch is fixed.

27 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

So this is considerably worse than just an inscription on the back. He needs someone who knows what they're doing to find out what's going on inside and, if possible, repair it. Worry about the back when the watch is fixed.

Yeah I am going to get the watch off of him to have a look and get the story 100% correct, would like to see it for my own eyes.