• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
harryblakes7

Lever Pivot Required

Hi Simon,

I have an old c1890 fusee pocket watch with the lever pivot has snapped

The pivot is driven into the lever, it has a slight taper on it. The lever itself is of a high quality and polished steel with jewelled inset impulse faces

Could i post the lever to you for you to have a look at please? I would be happy to pay, my own lathe is too big to make one

Kind Regards

Tim

There are no spare parts for this kind of watches, as parts from one will never fit to another, because they are made and finished individually. Your option is to repivot (drill a hole and fit another pivot) or make new axis. If You have a lathe, learn to use it. No matter how big it is, it is possible to do what is needed. All depends only on the skills of the latheman... And, it will be helpful to leatrn how to assemble this kond of watches... The pivots of the lever brreak when one doesn`t know the right way of assembling. The parts must be aranged on the upper plate, (the one without pillars), turned upside down, and then the plate with pillars is to cover all.

Hi, the pocket watch was given to me for repair, my sherwood lathe is a 6" four jaw, the pivot i need to make is 0.3mm. 

I already am in discussions with purchasing a second hand watch lathe ( £1500 ) i cant quite justify buying a new one for £25k

I just needed some help, which this forum is good for providing

I will return it back to the customer and just say it is beyond my current abilities to repair without a correct lathe. 

OK, the lathe is big. But, You can put in the jaws 3-4mm brass rod and make on the top of it conical hole, like a wax chuck. You can do it with hand-held graver.  Then You can wax and center in it the broken ax and make the center for drilling with sharp graver... Then You need 0.3mm tungsten carbide drill bit, which can be hold by fingers while drilling the hole for repivoting. And then - to glue with threadlocker  a piece of suitable guitar string in the hole...

• Like 1

Do you have a picture of front and back of the movement. If someone has a spare on exact same movement, no reason it can not be replaced. I mean the lever piece with pivot.

Edited by stdape
  • Like 1

To replace the whole lever - this is bad idea. As I said, the parts of this watches are not interchangeable. Esspecially the lever... Especially, when the original lever is here. Broken pivot is an easy to do repair. It usually takes no more than 30 minutes. Turning new axis  - the same...