• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
sparky the cat

As Frampton says ...I want you to show me the way

Getting back into hiking, but getting fed up with paper maps.  Hence, I'm looking at going for memory-maps from ordinance survey.  Bearing in mind that I like studying the map to find my way (sad!) and identify whats around me any ideas for alternative map systems and preferably cheaper as well?

George

OS Pinpoint was nice when we had it on trial for the Ambo service. not cheap, but better than the standard OS mapping apps.

At the risk of getting shouted at, Google Maps is pretty good, and you can change the views/maptypes. With Local Download, you can select your play area and download the maps for 'offline' mode. I use that as my back up system for calls where we get sent to places with no mobile coverage, i just update the downloaded version every week or so for the 8sq mile area i theoretically cover

6 hours ago, sparky the cat said:

I've tried to get google maps loaded off line for a couple of times, but have failed.  Most probably me not the tablet

i blame google for about anything,  mainly;   taking "spell check"  off my e mail.   vin

Have nothing much useful to add, but my wife just took my mom to see Frampton last night. Didn't really know who he was until I looked him up yesterday, yes I have heard his songs. Then saw this and thought it was funny! He played with Jason Bonham as opening, didn't know who he was either but apparently he is one talented drummer!