• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Daveyboyz

Incoming, finally found what I wanted...

It doesn't tick every box (looks like it hasn't got the angular crown that I'd prefer) but I managed to find an Omega constellation that forfils my criteria and is a price I can live with. 

I seem to be pulling the trigger on all kinds of EU purchases (I think tarrifs would be silly but perhaps such purchases won't be tarrif free in the future).    This watch will be shipped from the Netherlands, so I will eagerly expect the postman. 

The watch has been serviced this year (and putting my money where my mouth is I didn't ask by whom - because I don't perceive it effects the value whether Omega did it or somebody else) 

Chrono24 pictures

Screenshot_20190920-113629_Chrono24

Screenshot_20190920-113632_Chrono24

It is a 1966 watch is 36mm in solid 14ct.   It has the pie-pan dial that I like so much.   It appears fairly clean, just one small blemish on the case back (I wonder whether that could polish out but I will probably leave it) 

automatic caliber 561, three hands with date. 24 jewels 19800hz

It was bought from a private individual, seems like an enthusiast who claims to know his apples. 

Screenshot_20190920-113636_Chrono24Screenshot_20190920-113640_Chrono24Screenshot_20190920-113648_Chrono24Screenshot_20190920-113652_Chrono24

I know there are some more clued up than I on vintage, hopefully I will be reassured that I bought a good'un.   

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Beautiful looking thing.

Love the looks of the pie-pan...never seen one "in the flesh", so to speak...but in every picture Ive seen....they are simply gorgeous!

• Like 1

I would love to polish that case on a machine. Would come up like better than new

Edited by MSC
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MSC said:

I would love to polish that case on a machine. Would come up like better than new

Such is the beauty of a solid gold case, though it is common to see the stars all disappearing on the observatory from repeated polishing.   

I now notice a blemish on the dial too to the left of the Omega writing.   Which is not so easily cured...   I think I bought this watch for what I expected to pay for a steel one though so I can swallow a little imperfection or two. 

I am not into vintage or small, but , you cant argue it looks very nice & elegant ,the lugs don't look to marked to death from strap changes either, I though blemishes was classed as patina on vintage :biggrin:the red strap in the picture suits it better to me being gold if you have it .

:thumbsup:

deano

• Like 1

Lovely example. I always have a soft spot for gold Connie's having had two myself.  Those piepans look great on a vintage gold bracelet too and the movement in yours is one of Omegas most famous.  One to wear and look after in my book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caller. said:

Yes, very nice indeed!

What's next? :teethsmile:

I don't know...  I don't have anything in platinum (lange or glaschutte?). Also I keep waking up dreaming of spring drives. 

Maybe I am getting sick again? 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

I now notice a blemish on the dial too to the left of the Omega writing.   Which is not so easily cured... 

how the hell did you miss that Dave,it would have hit me like the rot on an s class benz nice thing though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

It doesn't tick every box (looks like it hasn't got the angular crown that I'd prefer) but I managed to find an Omega constellation that forfils my criteria and is a price I can live with. 

I seem to be pulling the trigger on all kinds of EU purchases (I think tarrifs would be silly but perhaps such purchases won't be tarrif free in the future).    This watch will be shipped from the Netherlands, so I will eagerly expect the postman. 

The watch has been serviced this year (and putting my money where my mouth is I didn't ask by whom - because I don't perceive it effects the value whether Omega did it or somebody else) 

Chrono24 pictures

Screenshot_20190920-113629_Chrono24

Screenshot_20190920-113632_Chrono24

It is a 1966 watch is 36mm in solid 14ct.   It has the pie-pan dial that I like so much.   It appears fairly clean, just one small blemish on the case back (I wonder whether that could polish out but I will probably leave it) 

automatic caliber 561, three hands with date. 24 jewels 19800hz

It was bought from a private individual, seems like an enthusiast who claims to know his apples. 

Screenshot_20190920-113636_Chrono24Screenshot_20190920-113640_Chrono24Screenshot_20190920-113648_Chrono24Screenshot_20190920-113652_Chrono24

I know there are some more clued up than I on vintage, hopefully I will be reassured that I bought a good'un.   

great watch, I don't think you will notice the blemish much at all from most angles, and they make it more personal - too perfect and it looks like a re-dial

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jet Jetski said:

great watch, I don't think you will notice the blemish much at all from most angles, and they make it more personal - too perfect and it looks like a re-dial

it could be and hence the peel? rest looks mint? 

like a spray job on an old ford granada?

been a bubble?

• Like 1

I'm with P G Wodehouse when it comes to critics :laughing2dw:

12 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

been a bubble?

• Like 1

The guy claims he has a good eye and would know if it were a redial. 

Not sure how I missed it but I pulled the trigger within seconds.   I looked more closely at the logo, the crown and the movement.   The dial is clean aside from that.  

Still I am happy enough. 

just looking back at this, it might be worth checking it out further is it really a pie pan or has someone painted the dial to look like one, it looks to flat?

cf

Image result for omega pie pan constellation

look at any pie pan on google image and on correct looking ones the scallops look deep, the one in the op looks just a flat dial painted to look like its shaped. I think if i could id get my money back and look else where. Just do a google image and compare, it looks to flat and with the lump of paint missing i reckon its been painted?

Screenshot_20190920-113640_Chrono24

• Like 1

On 20/09/2019 at 20:30, Nigelp said:

been a bubble?

I thought it may be a redial (I really hope I am wrong). Possibly the angle but the text under Omega.  

Like I say, I really hope I am wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I haven't had it in my hands yet so will comment when it arrives but he claims he knows a redial when he sees one and that this is OK.  I can't say I am worried at present though I acknowledge some of you know more than me about these watches.     It does seem strange that the minute markers touch the bevels on one watch and not the other but it is a completely different model (lugs, crown and case all differ drastically too)   

It will be in the post on Monday, if it arrives quickly I can always take it to someone who will know. 

• Like 1