• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Lee-mcl2105

Rolex Datejust 16000 - oh no :-( story & advice please

Long story short, my father had a Rolex Datejust for over 20 years and it’s ended up with me.    

He hardly wore it and certainly never serviced it.   He had some paper work, receipt and a valuation certificate for insurance purposes.  The watch when worn ( not often ) keeps perfect time, automatic function seems to retain quite a charge and the winding mechanism is perfect in the absence of movement.  

So watch has ended up with myself added to my smallish collection  and following a house move, I had some money put aside and I put the watch into service with Rolex, thinking It was about time ( Dad never did it ) and I was happy enough to pay whatever was necessary to bring it back to its former glory - not that in anyway was it a “beater” and as I said it works perfectly. 

Anyway, after a month Rolex have sent it back to us and stated they won’t service the watch as it’s been “modified”    

They have identified that some bracelet links are not Rolex ( they don’t say which ones )

They have also stated that the Crown, Bezel & dial !!! Are not intended for this model......

To say I am shocked is a huge understatement.  

I’m left perplexed as to why anyone would modify this watch ( cheap repair maybe ) and also naturally a little heartbroken - given the sentiment behind the watch, my Dad’s etc   

As it’s not mentioned it would seem that the movement itself is correct, but there is hardly anything else to comfort here except maybe clinging to the fact that whatever parts ( links aside ) are on the watch are genuine Rolex. 

I’ve been recommended to a Watch makers near Bond Street ( John Walkers ) whom might be able to help me identify the parts that are wrong and maybe restore the watch for me, that seems a nice way forward, but then the primary question is, is it going to be a “fortune” miss spent ? Chucking good money at something so heavily modified to have rendered the watch “valueless” aside from sentiment.  

To be fair when I collected the watch today I was advised it does have a value and a restoration might be viable.  But I simply don’t know which way to turn with this. 

Going all the way back the shop Dad got the watch from is long gone now, but they were reputable used watch dealers and of course it’s been professionally valued since then for insurance purposes, so it’s surprising that none of these parts of the story flagged up the modifications. 

if anyone with any knowledge of this model could you let me know what parts were the correct ones and advise if they are obtainable if I have the correct part numbers ?   Also, any views on the whole experience would be welcomed, although please no sarcasm - this situation stings enough.  

I was hoping to upload some pictures from my iPhone of the watch rather than via a web link - if that’s possible please let me know so I can show the watch as it currently is   

Thanks very much everyone   

4 minutes ago, Lee-mcl2105 said:

Thanks very much everyone   

Hopefully someone on here will recommend a good independent watchmaker. Unfortunately under the circumstances if you use Rolex, you are entirely at their mercy. From what you say the watch appears to be performing without issue, so personally I would have it serviced by an independent, forget about it's "irregularities", keep it for what it is, and wear it. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

sounds like rolex are more interested in the easy work of servicing nearly new watches, certainly from the last 15 year. 

bit of an oil up and polish up and that will be 600 quid cheers guv, bit like main dealer car servicing

Probably goes for all the top brands not just rolex 

:tumbleweed:

5 minutes ago, simon2 said:

I will service it for you. If you need help, give me a shout.

Thanks v much for the offer.   Let me know what’s the ins and outs of the service offer.   Given what’s happened I’m very curious as to discovering what parts should have been on the watch.  What’s wrong etc, the annoying thing is the movement is spot on and always has been.  

11 minutes ago, Lee-mcl2105 said:

the annoying thing is the movement is spot on

might not need a service then i read somewhere that the less servicing the better as every time its stripped it risks damage leave it, doubt theres much wrong probably more likely youre being fobbed off. 

20 year old and not used much id not bother servicing yet 

Would love to see a picture of the dial.......

The oils in the watch can dry out, some Rolex models have a very basic and inefficient design for the rotor for the automatic winding, which means once it wears it grinds metal into the movement, not good!! The movement is an easy one to service, if you decide to have it done, a nice reminder and momento of your dad. I hope you will keep it and not be tempted to sell it

9 minutes ago, harryblakes7 said:

Would love to see a picture of the dial.......

I have some pictures I can upload but not sure how it is done via URL ? 

9 minutes ago, harryblakes7 said:

yes pictures would be good just download the tapatalk app and use your phone. 

i can only assume being a dj that if the bezel is wrong then someones swapped a crinkle cut for a smooth or vis a vis and rolex know from the serial, as for links could be someones bought aftermarket to extend the bracelet and the crown...well how many dots has it got? If it has a seiko s on it then it aint rolex. 

@BondandBigM is our resident rolex expert he will put you on the right road. 

1 minute ago, PC-Magician said:

Rolex parts are not cheap so prevention is better than cure so I would have it serviced.

yeh but they wont do it 

1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

@BondandBigM is our resident rolex expert he will put you on the right road. 

yeh but they wont do it 

So can an independant get parts cheaper? I think not.

were stuck then 

shouldnt it have dots on the crown?

Just now, Nigelp said:

were stuck then 

2 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

as above is the crown wrong no dots?

wheres that bloody bond when you need him? 

looks to have a plexi surely that was dropped in the 70's? 

Hope the pictures help all.   Cheers again. 

To summarise - Rolex have stated the Bezel, Crown & dial are modified.  

They also said there is a non Rolex link ( no idea what one ) 

i have no further clue :) on what should be there. Should not be.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

were stuck then 

Assuming no parts required just a clean and lubrication so reducing the risk of damage.

• Like 1

Just now, Lee-mcl2105 said:

Hope the pictures help all.   Cheers again. 

To summarise - Rolex have stated the Bezel, Crown & dial are modified.  

They also said there is a non Rolex link ( no idea what one ) 

i have no further clue :) on what should be there. Should not be.  

it looks 70s 

Assuming

assume makes an ass out of all of us. Id leave if its running well. 

crown has the right mark hasnt it ? not like someones stuck a trip lock on it eh?

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/watch-review/vintage-week-rolex-oyster-perpetual-chronometer-date-ref-1500.html

According to the lady in the shop today ( who in turn was dealing with Rolex ) the plexi is correct for this model and watch assuming it is around 40 years old.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lee-mcl2105 said:

According to the lady in the shop today ( who in turn was dealing with Rolex ) the plexi is correct for this model and watch assuming it is around 40 years old.  

yep thats the nub mate its ok but rolex dont want to know its too old. 

If youre going to have it done pm simon above and cut your loses. 

budget for upto 300 quid if its never been touched should cover it 

and put it on a leather it will look and feel much nicer then you can forget about the bracelet 

a nice di modell 

Edited by Nigelp

2 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

yep thats the nub mate its ok but rolex dont want to know its too old. 

If youre going to have it done pm simon above and cut your loses. 

budget for upto 300 quid if its never been touched should cover it 

Thanks mate.  I appreciate that advice.  If to be clear, do you feel it’s actually modified or they just binned it back to me to save the hassle ? 

As I said, at retail and insurance valuation it was never noted as modified and even the shop today said that it seemed fine - links aside, she did say she could see a link that did not look right.  

12 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

“..and put it on a leather it will look and feel much nicer then you can forget about the bracelet...”

a great idea, never occurred to me that, any particular brand that would supplement the watch best ?  Don’t want to end up with a £9.99 eBay special 

Out of interest what was the insurance valuation?

It's pretty much the same as the watch my brother got from our dad, bought in '79 new from Harrods.

I got the Breitling top time. TBH these kind of watches have a story and in many cases are kept as momentos, so the issues around valuation or discrepancies aren't really as bad as they might be. I always fancied the Rolex but my brother has been possessive even though it now needs a fair bit of work given he's often clumsy after shaking hands with Henry Weston :) 

Edited by wrenny1969

4 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

Out of interest what was the insurance valuation?

It's pretty much the same as the watch my brother got from our dad, bought in '79 new from Harrods.

I got the Breitling top time. TBH these kind of watches have a story and in many cases are kept as momentos, so the issues around valuation or discrepancies aren't really as bad as they might be. I always fancied the Rolex but my brother has been possessive even though it now needs a fair bit of work given he often falls over after shaking hands with Henry Weston :) 

Just checked the papers and it’s dated 11/12/2006 & value is £3960. 

• Like 1