• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Daveyboyz

Most interesting vintage watches

I will start this thread off with three... 

The JLC reverso, Omega moonwatch and the Heuer Monaco. 

Obviously to aquire originals of these might be expensive but thankfully they are still produced. 

More of interest to me is thinking what vintage watches I could buy.   Since I am particularly pleased with my Omega constellation from 1966 I am wondering what everybodies favourites are. 

I know there are some fans of electic/digital but I am thinking along a mechanical line. 

i like 60s seikos they are like 60s american cars so much more cool than vintage 60s straight laced swiss stuff. 

still look modern today and big and us lads know how size matters eh. 36mm is plenty. 

31mm isnt. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Obviously to aquire originals of these might be expensive but thankfully they are still produced. 

More of interest to me is thinking what vintage watches I could buy.   Since I am particularly pleased with my Omega constellation from 1966 I am wondering what everybodies favourites are. 

I know there are some fans of electic/digital but I am thinking along a mechanical line. 

I earliest I am super lucky to be the proud owner of all three of these classics. Specifically a ten year old Reverso Grand Taille, a two year old Caliber 11 Monaco and best of all a 1969/1970 era all-original Moonwatch. 

If I could only have one more vintage watch it would be a Patek Philippe Calatrava from the sixties, which is when I would first seen one in one of the lovely shops, in Argyle Arcade in Glasgow, as a youngster. Classic. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Garp said:

Sooooooo want one of these !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not easy to get one that has not been amalgamated - they are all lovely of course, but I was happy to find one that has parts consistent with the age / serial number etc. and pretty well contemporaneous with the '65 space walk

leonev strela.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris 810 said:

Lieonidas chrono

large.11E25ADF-DBAE-454F-B5F3-94716FFF8A48.jpeg.61e7d38bb4e1ba923148df1bafb7377f.jpeg

large.08127204-F0C0-4FFD-8E97-443A1EBCC0C2.jpeg.9a937a3754955512e1d38299cdfcba24.jpeglarge.0B0BA275-FCA9-41DA-89DA-DA7148DEF81F.jpeg.4ef3c99b365f800d6fb0a9149842b33d.jpeg

well made a modern size and Big. Also cheap 

Jolly tempted by one of these on the bay recently, but I have several mechanical chronos

• Like 1

4 hours ago, animalone said:

I would really like to find one of these for the collection one day, although they probably class as antique rather than vintage.

Submarine watch by Brook & son 

fHMcISi.jpg

Waterproof a decade before the Rolex oyster was born

https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/blogsubmarine.php

You can still get Submarine watches in Japan https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYAKUICHI-101-Mens-Divers-watch-20ATM-Submarine-Leather-belt-Navy-JPN-Tracking/153494929176?hash=item23bd02bf18&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&enc=AQAEAAADMKvsXIZtBqdkfsZsMtzFbFsbX3WcW5fmB%2Fx7ZbaZTyexAU%2BaBj5s2BkNFEAOBFNkyAVl9%2FH5NRxjuMKE6oR76go%2B5UBZTWwcJxiZzmQQ5K%2FC5ob6ekQ7Qyc7%2BbYHHBDaMfR6QBW5venaDzieDLzgMCVjsc2WUh80oZZpty%2FrDUyV58zlfk8nU8Gz8593Z8bOGNCA7tiMGGAg7DKHastircXIO%2F7TKiElUsE23YSDxM%2BPRNvNEp66DiNeiUT3kLcBIA8Nc52KRWR0BT7XTVJc0ADvXGVdQhyp6rA4vNfac6oSEdGMQsZ%2FfbW9QJqKU4%2BFHvy5PaSRPekmkUf6%2FChXhtKbS2aFufR%2FBKGM41xAA7zGJ%2Bcp6r1WOYCviH4cxCfRGrzyj92%2FS%2BzVdBInDinkm1bOooS4c8Q7I12%2F858N2L1JTWPLP7xve%2Fbb9gUI8S8D6inZOqvrkMrQ0HElahQ%2F82vXYx0UV1YrHGzzM%2B3IDNkBhNwDuZ1tj8O0JwOtdIqK8DBkkSCZY9HK0%2BFkESuo%2BLQ6c%2Bh%2FMHXWMYquDYYretP41fEJTOZD%2F5Y2prn%2FQv69U05ZZSQHUTpzDarA2wG0TTxPE2iZ79svF1nUuyAblNZEd3wEjzJGvbFF7I0Ej16PIESaEVnzhQIhs9Ym3clhe57DJt0h3m2pLpyGXTVPtbPPrk%2BtCGA9SIgRkNeC%2Fwo2Z8CcQ8C4QjKTEtmAdKK7IHndrGhczGZpVqNmZEwLdekWk8mARhsMrvKWGIWWs5qpmQOnutxvxFsELj5CV8RWTmbxjrSWGDzVSbHQCOtqwvRKWCnemeO5MKTuJH41amrGyIasPRT0klfDnaqnL2moNdoj4SMf3B78aPqjj7alHcpKYDXcCLczufpeWxa6y5hVUTEsZKFn%2Bnc2VUm%2FnK4f0yQTuIDh5V7PseD%2FbLVEDlHHDn%2BLBeyF3djy7WVSdpL9LW07qVZz7HgshVBOkZOyw1s7OsjsPYZki1VTkwDGTic%2FNnW3KhR6HKjr6yYKJxNe1rG4SKjJaFvbKt4%2BUA%2FDy4MRbvQEFOAKO9VLY9dDpCVRVlDQbCIMeEI7vNMV%2B%2B8wpQ%3D%3D&checksum=15349492917686f24e2440674ca89ae841f9382a6b00

Jetski, thanks for the link but they are not the same thing. 

Brook & son was the brand, submarine was the model of this particular watch.

Sadly Brook & son ceased trading around 1952. Tavannes who made the watch for Brook is still in business and even makes a modern interpretation of the design. 

https://www.tavanneswatches.com/collection/13

But I would personally only ever be interested in the original, as I find it extremely interesting from a historical and technical perspective. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, animalone said:

Jetski, thanks for the link but they are not the same thing. 

Brook & son was the brand, submarine was the model of this particular watch.

Sadly Brook & son ceased trading around 1952. Tavannes who made the watch for Brook is still in business and even makes a modern interpretation of the design. 

https://www.tavanneswatches.com/collection/13

But I would personally only ever be interested in the original, as I find it extremely interesting from a historical and technical perspective. 

Umm....   I was being funny.  Better luck next time! 

3 hours ago, al_kaholik said:

Surprised not to see a Vostok on here yet. Just as a marvel of low budget and problem solving 

complete with wobbly stem and screw down crown!

No photo description available.

9eec57952f4fece830dc0575d9df5338.jpg

Edited by Jet Jetski
Info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7fa3fffab5ca94dc3d6a62d053189921.jpg

Designed specifically for the “arms race” - testing of the Lockheed A-12. More dependable at Mach 4.5 and High cockpit temperatures than a spring and balance movement. Fascinating history ...... oh, and Elvis had one !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've always had a passing interest in old Heuer watches, especially the motor sport side of them. I'd like to have a set of dash board clock and stop watches. 

But like a lot of things they got expensive. A bit back I had a TH Carrera, it was a nice watch but then I got my LV and it was never out of the box so I foolishly sold it. 

https://www.calibre11.com/history-of-tag-heuer-1950s/

AR6AR5A.jpg

41MT6f3.jpg

• Like 2

On 28/09/2019 at 09:17, Daveyboyz said:

Strange thing is in all the years of collecting I dont recall coming across a JLC Reverso.  

Personally I would look more at the movements than the actual brand. 

IWC Cal 89 for example a well respected and well regarded movement, these can still be found at a reasonable price.

Smiths, British made the gold ones you can still find and there is an online dealer who has some very nice examples some with box and papers and good clean dials.  Sure you can find cheaper on ebay and the like but some of the dials look like they have been kept in a drawer in the shed for 30 years (Which they probably have)

There are plenty of nice Omega De Ville hand wind watches 9ct or 18ct if you are looking to pay a little more in much better condition and a lot less likely to be messed about with than some of the more sought after vintage Omega.

Longines, the old vintage movements are very well thought of and a nice condition Longines is a welcome addition to any vintage collection

Rolex 6694 Oysterdate, still to be found at a decent price (Though seem to be starting to creep up in price of late) Easy to find one in tip top condition perhaps just a little work on the bracelet but otherwise very good watch to pick up for the money.

Vintage gold chronograph.  The Chronograph Suisse are the ones that people talk about but there were tons of equally as good watches about at the time with the same case and movement and can be found at half the price.

Personally, I woulndnt even bother with the minefield of pie pans, speedmasters etc and if I really wanted a vintage spacewatch would go for a Sekonda/Strela for a lot less money and a lot less hassle.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

I really wanted a vintage spacewatch would go for a Sekonda/Strela for a lot less money and a lot less hassle.  

I said similar to a salesman in an Omega AD when he was trying to flog me a moon watch, and he told me to get out. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I said similar to a salesman in an Omega AD when he was trying to flog me a moon watch, and he told me to get out. 

So would I :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1