• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Daveyboyz

Most interesting vintage watches

8 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I said similar to a salesman in an Omega AD when he was trying to flog me a moon watch, and he told me to get out. 

The moon watch is not that interesting anyway.

They probably took a Snap-on screw driver too but that does not make the "moon" screw driver interesting lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Believe all 3 of these are of Museum & collector interest...

1930/31 Rolls ATO automatic (Wig Wag movement).

Collaboration between Leon Hatot (ATO) & Blancpain.

AvpwRE3.jpg

AS573KD.jpg

Au7fKrL.jpg

1930/31 AUTORIST automatic.

Collaboration between John Harwood, Fortis & Anton Schild.

21J0D4i.jpg

7nLrr9g.jpg

i4q6mUD.mp4

1929 HARWOOD, Worlds first automatic wristwatch!

Collaboration between John Harwood, Blancpain, Fortis, & Anton Schild.

R0CQ1du.jpg

7pq4PZu.jpg

ksa2La1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Dumb question.

In most fields the term “vintage” refers to items between 50 and 100 years old (like me!}. However, I have seen watches over 20 years old referred to as “vintage” on some forums. 

Given that this forum is the ultimate arbiter (of course) of all things horological, what is the correct definition?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, yokel said:

Dumb question.

In most fields the term “vintage” refers to items between 50 and 100 years old (like me!}. However, I have seen watches over 20 years old referred to as “vintage” on some forums. 

Given that this forum is the ultimate arbiter (of course) of all things horological, what is the correct definition?

Vintage I believe is actually 20 years plus and Antique is 100 years plus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a Bentley watch some time ago. It's circa 1940s, about 34mm, and looks a little sorry for it's self, albeit the crystal must have been replaced. It winds and keeps time very well. The only info I could dig up is that a few different watch manufacturers produced watches for the Bentley motor company, but I have no idea which one made this. 

SvJYa7M.jpg

Edited by Mrs Wiggles
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, yokel said:

Dumb question.

If it's on the internet it's got to be true.

"An item should be at least 100 years old to be defined as an antique. Generally speaking if the item is no older than an antique but not less than 20 years, it falls under the term vintage. I have heard the term 'true vintage' as being at least 50 years old."

And then there's RETRO !
And classic.
Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

not less than 20 years, it falls under the term vintage

Ye gods, I have grandchildren who are approaching "vintage".

But, thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

"An item should be at least 100 years old to be defined as an antique. Generally speaking if the item is no older than an antique but not less than 20 years, it falls under the term vintage. I have heard the term 'true vintage' as being at least 50 years old."

And then there's RETRO !
And classic.

Although there is no official definition of a vintage watch, it is generally accepted that 20 years hits the mark. I, like you, believe this is a little new to be considered vintage, but that is the general consensus 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I have heard the term 'true vintage' as being at least 50 years old."

I would agree with that!

Possibly (?) to include items produced in the 1970’s (including Yokel) :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My opinion is the word "vintage" is used to give fictional kudos and value, sometimes a bit misleading. Think; Vintage Austin Allegro, see what I mean ? :laughing2dw:

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

I would agree with that!

Possibly (?) to include items produced in the 1970’s (including Yokel) :tongue:

Yokel was producing in the 1970s :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Correction....

19 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

I would agree with that!

Possibly (?) to include items produced now in their 70’s (including Yokel) :tongue:

:tongue:

• Like 1

Whilst I'd agree with some things (off the top of my head: cars, bikes, cameras etc. as opposed to just watches) >20 years old being classed as 'classic', 20 is the bare minimum and 'vintage' they are certainly not. 50+ is much more like it.

What does the internet know anyway? It isn't yet 30 years old, so in that context I guess 20 years makes sense!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Believe all 3 of these are of Museum & collector interest...

1930/31 Rolls ATO automatic (Wig Wag movement).

Collaboration between Leon Hatot (ATO) & Blancpain.

AvpwRE3.jpg

AS573KD.jpg

Au7fKrL.jpg

1930/31 AUTORIST automatic.

Collaboration between John Harwood, Fortis & Anton Schild.

21J0D4i.jpg

7nLrr9g.jpg

i4q6mUD.mp4

1929 HARWOOD, Worlds first automatic wristwatch!

Collaboration between John Harwood, Blancpain, Fortis, & Anton Schild.

R0CQ1du.jpg

7pq4PZu.jpg

ksa2La1.jpg

Please could you advise on the size of the Hardwood?  It looks around 30-32mm if the strap is 16 mm?

Thanks

• Like 1

Well I already have a moonwatch... Perhaps not as vintage as it could be but I like it. 

The JLC reverso often has nice manual wind movements,  my mum has one and I am a bit jealous... I like it, the movement and the fact it has something different about it. 

I guess that's what floats my boat...  There are a million nice simple Benson, Cyma, Record, Geneve, Universals and you fill in the gaps.... All of them are nice but the stand out watches all have some notable difference, history, invention or quirk.  

59 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Please could you advise on the size of the Hardwood?  It looks around 30-32mm if the strap is 16 mm?

Thanks

A very generous 29.7mm, quite acceptable to the tech-savvy entrepreneur (at the time)! :biggrin:

The above dimension doesn’t include the crown ?

:whistle:

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

tech-savvy

excuse the typo lol - I definitely typed Harwood - auto-correct

My hardwood is six by three.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Well I already have a moonwatch... Perhaps not as vintage as it could be but I like it. 

The JLC reverso often has nice manual wind movements,  my mum has one and I am a bit jealous... I like it, the movement and the fact it has something different about it. 

I guess that's what floats my boat...  There are a million nice simple Benson, Cyma, Record, Geneve, Universals and you fill in the gaps.... All of them are nice but the stand out watches all have some notable difference, history, invention or quirk.  

The ones you mention Benson, Cyma, Record, Geneve, Universal all do have a history some considerably better than for example a vintage moonwatch I mean its hardly like you are buying the same watch that went to the moon you are buying an older version of a mass produced watch based on the moonwatch (And I own one)

Benson, an old British jewellers that use very good quality gold cases, Cyma one of the dirty dozen real military history not some made up shoe horn in history that modern brands churn out.  Record, Universal the polar rotor one of the classic vintage movements.  The Reverso movement is more respected out of its quality similar to the Cal 89 of the IWC and vintage Longines so if you are turning away from the likes of the old IWC and Longines really more fool you as you are missing out on quality far and above what they are selling for these days certainly on par with many of the top brands of the day.  

I do think sometimes when people look at vintage watches they get a bit caught up in the name on the dial especially when many brands back in the day borrowed movements and often you will find the exact same movement in a watch half the price.  I also feel there is an enormous lack of understanding of the quality of vintage watch brands and the history behind them.  For vintage collectors myself included its very much a good thing, as folk are busy chasing unicorns there are plenty of classics out there well under the radar.

1yrNd6xl.jpg

0MUBEcAl.jpg

n1aQUsjl.jpg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, MSC said:

The moon watch is not that interesting anyway.

They probably took a Snap-on screw driver too but that does not make the "moon" screw driver interesting lol.

Probably cost half the space race budget too. Their ratcheting drivers are really nice though. A tech left one on my desk when they were servicing something. I kept it in my drawer for a month in case they came back using it as a stress/fidget toy before adding it to my toolbox at home. 

• Like 1

On 29/09/2019 at 08:34, spinynorman said:

I love these old Swiss chronos.

2019-09-29_01-23-48

Looks like my dad's old WWII US Army Air Corps watch

20150127-1431_wwii_welsbro_pilot_watch_1

• Like 2

4 hours ago, al_kaholik said:

Probably cost half the space race budget too. Their ratcheting drivers are really nice though. A tech left one on my desk when they were servicing something. I kept it in my drawer for a month in case they came back using it as a stress/fidget toy before adding it to my toolbox at home. 

Quality stuff was cheaper back then, but in modern times the price just went ridiculous.

I remember there were US soldiers out in Europe back in 1960.

I seen an interview with one of them and he said he bought a brand new Rolex GMT.

He was the lowest rank possible and he said it cost him 1 months wages.

To do that now the soldier would need to be making $120,000+ a year lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chromejob said:

Looks like my dad's old WWII US Army Air Corps watch

20150127-1431_wwii_welsbro_pilot_watch_1

Looks like that watch could tell a few stories. What a wonderful memento.

If you look for "Landeron chronograph" or "chronograph suisse" on eBay, there were quite a lot made to that pattern with all sorts of names on the dial. Earliest were 1940s, I think, going into the 1960s.

Have you had the back off? There's a Landeron 48 in mine.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I said similar to a salesman in an Omega AD when he was trying to flog me a moon watch, and he told me to get out. 

22 hours ago, ZenArcade said:

So would I :laugh:

I agree, that was definitely worthy of the Order Of The Hammer & Boot!! 703442132_(3).gif.c671bf33bb342b14ca1052a140e4926c.gif th_kickedoutsmile.gif.545ec4968c40163b40c141d27252b94a.gif 

:laugh:

• Like 1

My oldest watch which is still running well & keeping excellent time...

"Services"  airman Swiss Made (by the Fleurier Watch Company),

15 Jewel 13 ligne movement, silver case, circa 1926.

1892210145_ServicesairmanSwissMade(bytheFleurierWatchCompany)15Jewel13lignemovementsilvercasecirca19267.1.jpg.974305115369e9bc8aaa4003d67e0066.jpg.

653442607_ServicesairmanSwissMade(bytheFleurierWatchCompany)15Jewel13lignemovementsilvercasecirca19267..thumb.jpg.5744cb687b85c9a6d29c8008c5c5cc1a.jpg

I have only seen this dial design on  watches made by Services & it`s sister company Aviation  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1