• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Most interesting vintage watches

Daveyboyz

10 hours ago, ZenArcade said:

The ones you mention Benson, Cyma, Record, Geneve, Universal all do have a history some considerably better than for example a vintage moonwatch I mean its hardly like you are buying the same watch that went to the moon you are buying an older version of a mass produced watch based on the moonwatch (And I own one)

Benson, an old British jewellers that use very good quality gold cases, Cyma one of the dirty dozen real military history not some made up shoe horn in history that modern brands churn out.  Record, Universal the polar rotor one of the classic vintage movements.  The Reverso movement is more respected out of its quality similar to the Cal 89 of the IWC and vintage Longines so if you are turning away from the likes of the old IWC and Longines really more fool you as you are missing out on quality far and above what they are selling for these days certainly on par with many of the top brands of the day.  

I do think sometimes when people look at vintage watches they get a bit caught up in the name on the dial especially when many brands back in the day borrowed movements and often you will find the exact same movement in a watch half the price.  I also feel there is an enormous lack of understanding of the quality of vintage watch brands and the history behind them.  For vintage collectors myself included its very much a good thing, as folk are busy chasing unicorns there are plenty of classics out there well under the radar.

Not sure where I was turning away from such watches,  I have an old Longines because I am fully aware how amazing their vintage movements are. 

You aren't buying the watch that went to the moon you are buying into the story of it. 

Here I am asking for suggestions of watches... That could mean you explain the story of the Carter Pasha and the Rolex Oyster (two of the early waterproof watches) or some other notable quirk on a watch.     If you are into movements that might be a technical invention like a resonance.   It might be a design feature like flared lugs. 

Everybody has different tastes and I might appreciate a watch from many brands...   I might not buy one for all sorts of reasons - expense, value for money, how it fits with my collection etc.    That doesn't mean I am turning my back... I always loved J W Benson watches maybe I just didn't find the right one for me at the right price. 

Maybe I am missing something but your comments seem to indicate a distain for me mentioning brands...  How else do you refer to a watch but through the brand and model name?   

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Doolittle said:

large.IMG_20180328_104538359.jpg.56d503b32b610cd6fefbe1695a260015.jpg

Manufactured in the DDR but "Swiss Made" stamped up front...

OK, looks like an Eta / Valjoux 7750 movement to me, which would make it 'swiss made' - lots of English 'swiss watches'  had cases made here, to avoid import duty on manufactured gold and silver items.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite purchase of late has been this 1950's Colant 30 Jewel Supermatic Incabloc. I haven't found out much about the company as I don't think they lasted past the 1970's, but, the watch has a Felsa 1560 movement which has proved to be very, very accurate. I don't really like gold coloured watches, but, I am quite fond of this unusual/interesting little watch which is like nothing else I've seen.

Sorry about the poor quality picture (taken on my phone) and my very hairy arm. :biggrin:

uUEH-JXPnMyZwzC3pxpuLDcPvz2ke6xdh4IfMhhd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

1950's Colant 30 Jewel Supermatic Incabloc. I haven't found out much about the company as I don't think they lasted past the 1970's, but, the watch has a Felsa 1560 movement which has proved to be very, very accurate. I don't really like gold coloured watches, but, I am quite fond of this unusual/interesting little watch which is like nothing else I've seen.

Sorry about the poor quality picture (taken on my phone) and my very hairy arm. :biggrin:

uUEH-JXPnMyZwzC3pxpuLDcPvz2ke6xdh4IfMhhd

Colant...

Registered mark of W.O. Rieder-Frohlicher, Solothurn, Switzerland, in 1954.

Nicely worked intricate dial, your picture doesn’t, as you indicate, do it justice (unfortunately).

I like it!

Enjoy :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Colant...

Nicely worked intricate dial, your picture doesn’t, as you indicate, do it justice (unfortunately).

I like it!

Hi Karrosel

I got about as far as that with 'Mikrolisk' which is always a great starting point, but, I didn't find much else.

So glad you like it, not my usual type of purchase, but, the case is interesting, the dial is interesting, and it has proved to be highly accurate.

Needs a service and a new crystal and that's about it. I also need to take better photographs :)

• Like 1

On 17/10/2019 at 13:18, Karrusel said:

Colant...

I like it!

On 17/10/2019 at 23:07, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Hi Karrosel

I got about as far as that with 'Mikrolisk' which is always a great starting point, but, I didn't find much else.

So glad you like it, not my usual type of purchase, but, the case is interesting, the dial is interesting, and it has proved to be highly accurate.

Needs a service and a new crystal and that's about it. I also need to take better photographs :)

I've done a bit more digging in a source I found during research on Allaine. I found the registration of "Colant" in 1954.

N° 151376. Date de dépôt: 9 juin 1954, 18 h. Wwe. 0. Rieder-Fröhlicher, Mühleweg 4, Soleure (Suisse). Marque de fabrique et de commerce. Tous produits horlogers, montres, parties de montres, mouvements de montres, boîtes de montres, cadrans, étuis de montres et articles d'emballage s'y rapportant COLANT

The problem with text searches in scanned documents is it uses optical character recognition that isn't always accurate. Eventually I found two other trademarks under variations of the name.

Nr. 162810. Hinterlegungsdatum: 14. September 1956, 20 Uhr. Wwe. 0. Bieder-Fröhlicher, Mühleweg 4, Solothurn. Fabrik- und Handelsmarke. Ankeruhren. ORSO

Nr. 163718. Hinterlegungsdatum: 8. Januar 1957, 20 Uhr. Wwe. 0. Rieder-Fröhlieher, Mühleweg 4, Solothurn. Fabrik- und Handelsmarke. Uhren, Zifferblätter, Schalen und Werke. LORSO

And a further reference to trademark No 151376 (Colant), under "Radiations - Lösehungen". Can't get a sensible translation of either of those words - pretty sure it has nothing to do with radiation.

Marque X° 151376. Wwe. O. Rieder-Frölilicher. Soleure. Octobre 1962 à la demande de la déposante.

Two other references came up which are intriguing, but I can't prove a connection

13th January 1926. Arthur Rieder-Fröhlicher, of Oensingen, in Langendorf, and Walter Gigandet, of Vendlincourt (Bern), in Solothurn, have, under the name of Rieder & Gigandet, watch factory «Rigis» (Rieder & Gigandet, Fabrique d'Horlogerie «Rigis») (Rieder & Gigandet, - "Rigis" Watch Manufactory), based in Solothurn, a collective company, which began on October 1, 1925. Manufacture of watches and associated trade. Langendorfstrasse No. 560.

August 16, 1948. A. Rieder-Fröhlicher, watchmaking, in Langendorf, watchmaking and trading in watches (SHAB No. 120 of 24 May 1944, page 1170). This sole proprietorship has moved the seat to Solothurn (SHAB No. 178 dated 2 August 1948, page 2151) and is therefore deleted in the commercial register of Lebern ex officio.

One more thing: In the 1968 edition of Davoine I found "Colant" listed as a trademark of Choisi SA, 2500 Bienne. Elsewhere there's an advert for "MONTRES CHOISI S.A., BIENNE, Rue du Faucon 19. Montres ancre tous genres 3%' - 13' SPÉCIALITÉS : Automatiques - Automatiques-calendriers exécution extra-plate,25-41 rubis". Seems they had acumulated quite a lot of trademarks.

Anyway, I pass this on, in the hope it might help somehow.

Edited by spinynorman
Added Choisi
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

I've done a bit more digging in a source I found during research on Allaine. I found the registration of "Colant" in 1954.

N° 151376. Date de dépôt: 9 juin 1954, 18 h. Wwe. 0. Rieder-Fröhlicher, Mühleweg 4, Soleure (Suisse). Marque de fabrique et de commerce. Tous produits horlogers, montres, parties de montres, mouvements de montres, boîtes de montres, cadrans, étuis de montres et articles d'emballage s'y rapportant COLANT

The problem with text searches in scanned documents is it uses optical character recognition that isn't always accurate. Eventually I found two other trademarks under variations of the name.

Nr. 162810. Hinterlegungsdatum: 14. September 1956, 20 Uhr. Wwe. 0. Bieder-Fröhlicher, Mühleweg 4, Solothurn. Fabrik- und Handelsmarke. Ankeruhren. ORSO

Nr. 163718. Hinterlegungsdatum: 8. Januar 1957, 20 Uhr. Wwe. 0. Rieder-Fröhlieher, Mühleweg 4, Solothurn. Fabrik- und Handelsmarke. Uhren, Zifferblätter, Schalen und Werke. LORSO

And a further reference to trademark No 151376 (Colant), under "Radiations - Lösehungen". Can't get a sensible translation of either of those words - pretty sure it has nothing to do with radiation.

Marque X° 151376. Wwe. O. Rieder-Frölilicher. Soleure. Octobre 1962 à la demande de la déposante.

Two other references came up which are intriguing, but I can't prove a connection

13th January 1926. Arthur Rieder-Fröhlicher, of Oensingen, in Langendorf, and Walter Gigandet, of Vendlincourt (Bern), in Solothurn, have, under the name of Rieder & Gigandet, watch factory «Rigis» (Rieder & Gigandet, Fabrique d'Horlogerie «Rigis») (Rieder & Gigandet, - "Rigis" Watch Manufactory), based in Solothurn, a collective company, which began on October 1, 1925. Manufacture of watches and associated trade. Langendorfstrasse No. 560.

August 16, 1948. A. Rieder-Fröhlicher, watchmaking, in Langendorf, watchmaking and trading in watches (SHAB No. 120 of 24 May 1944, page 1170). This sole proprietorship has moved the seat to Solothurn (SHAB No. 178 dated 2 August 1948, page 2151) and is therefore deleted in the commercial register of Lebern ex officio.

Anyway, I pass this on, in the hope it might help somehow.

Thanks for that spinynorman, always nice to see a little further down the rabbit hole.

It is funny how a watch can get under your skin, this Colant has, but, I have just had a 1965 Seiko 6205-8940 Diashock Selfdater delivered this morning.....my new favourite???

Thanks for the info, I hope you got to the bottom of the Allaine you were researching.