• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
GASHEAD

EBay Global Shipping Programme

Quick question for those in the know please:

If I sell using the eBay Global Shipping Programme and post a £600 watch to their UK centre for onward shipping to, for example, the US, am I insured if the watch gets lost or damaged when they ship it to the US?

As above, I have only used this service twice and was anxious both times but it was all good.

I do though prefer to sell within the UK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TK-421 said:

I would recommend taking some pictures of you boxing the watch, it's condition at the time of posting etc... justi incase you get a dodgy buyer the other end. I do this for every auction regardless of the shipping method as a friend of mine got stung by a false PayPal claim on a pretty expensive watch in the past.

I'd suggest videoing the watch thoroughly as you pack it up and the packaging and label too.  I've heard of even those having taken photos being accused of Photoshopping them.  A video is rather more difficult to argue with if you get a dodgy buyer, and sadly there are plenty of those on ebay.  99 times out of 100 there's no issue, but just in case...

I have had experience of being on the other end of this shipping program. 

Once where my watch box arrived in a box that looked like they had played football with it (the glass was shattered)  then a other package they were trying to deliver to a road named the same as mine but located in Ireland instead of England (lucky the homeowner was out and never signed for my delivery) 

Not that I can help with the above question regarding insurance but I try to avoid items listed as using this delivery method. 

I sold one watch to someone in the US. Took 3-4 weeks to get there via the shipping programme on eBay. Personally I will never send anything overseas again. Not worth the hassle or worry of it ever reaching its destination. Also not sure what comeback you actually have if it gets lost or damaged. 

I've just had 15 watches arrive from Switzerland.  It took 4 weeks, as the HMRC wanted their share and were not in a rush.  It wasn't via the global shipping program, but between two people who regularly export and import so just don't except any rush for any import or export.

A watch I sold went to Spain via the Global shipping programme. The buyer claimed it hadn't arrived but the courier (whoever they use) said it had been. A case was opened, ebay found in my favour, although the funds I received were put on hold until the case closed. I now no longer sell abroad, although of course exactly the same can occur with UK sales. 

I much prefer to sell UK only because of ebays habit of siding with the buyer in any dispute and shafting the seller.

And if they claim the item is fake or defective they don't even seem to need any real proof, ebay will force you to pay return postage cost.

• Like 1

You need to understand what the Global shipping program is about.

your package will go to an inspection hub, where it will be checked - this could be a cursory check of the docs, right through to open and repackage. Customs fees will be applied (if due) then the package will go in a bulk ship container. At the other end it will go to another sorting house (if they have one in country) and sorted to the closest destination. 
‘using the UK as an example, it will go to either the DHL main sorting office or regional hub. 
last mile delivery (to your house) is done by the couriers.

it has its positives and it’s drawbacks. They are spot on with customs, so no surprise bill from HMRC before you can get your goods, drawbacks? Well you don’t get to decide your method of delivery - it is completely down to who is giving EBay the best shipping prices. They make money on your shipping as they will charge you full public rate, but they get massive discounts themselves as all the handling and shipping is done in bulk by EBay, and the last mile agents don’t have to do any sorting/handling until it gets to the final depot. Often hunting round you can get a better shipping deal. You will also be charged customs at the standard rate due (UK again 20%) but many people don’t realize that there are actually various import/tax rates depending on the goods - if you are regularly sends things internationally, it is worth googling CCCN or Common (or Customs) Commodity Code Numbers. If you fill that in on the green shipping form, you can attract the lower rate. eBay Will be using the correct CCCN and keeping the difference.
there is also the chance that your carefully packaged item will be opened and inspected, then repacked (sometimes not to your standard).

eBay also know that your package made it to the last mile agent. So if the buyer claims they didn’t get it, EBay will cover it themselves as they know it got to the agent, and they arranged it, so if the agent fails to deliver it is their problem, not yours.

Edited by Richard734

Thanks Richard. As a seller I guess I'm not that bothered about the customs duty and expensive postage charged to the buyer, but I'm sure it will put some off.

As an update, this is no longer an issue for me as the US buyer failed to pay and I have had to cancel the transaction. Twat. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, GASHEAD said:

Thanks Richard. As a seller I guess I'm not that bothered about the customs duty and expensive postage charged to the buyer, but I'm sure it will put some off.

As an update, this is no longer an issue for me as the US buyer failed to pay and I have had to cancel the transaction. Twat. 

One of the reasons I hate selling stuff,people mess you about.

On 01/10/2019 at 09:52, MSC said:

I much prefer to sell UK only because of ebays habit of siding with the buyer in any dispute and shafting the seller.

If you as a seller send your item using a fully insured tracked and signed method then you are 100% safe in any "dispute" other than "item not as described" in which case you must take the item back. But that is just the law on distance selling its nothing to do with eBay themselves.

Example sell a watch for £500 to someone. Send using Special delivery ( UK ) or UPS (Europe/USA). Costs are £10-ish UK or £15ish Non-UK.

If you have to take the watch back because buyer not happy then fine and if the buyer claims they do not have the watch then just show eBay the tracking.

If you use eBay Global mail system then obviously only use that for cheaper items because it's not a reliable system.

19 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

If you as a seller send your item using a fully insured tracked and signed method then you are 100% safe in any "dispute" other than "item not as described" in which case you must take the item back. But that is just the law on distance selling its nothing to do with eBay themselves.

Example sell a watch for £500 to someone. Send using Special delivery ( UK ) or UPS (Europe/USA). Costs are £10-ish UK or £15ish Non-UK.

If you have to take the watch back because buyer not happy then fine and if the buyer claims they do not have the watch then just show eBay the tracking.

If you use eBay Global mail system then obviously only use that for cheaper items because it's not a reliable system.

What about if you don’t get back what you sent out.