• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
spinynorman

Help needed - acrylic crystal for Ingersoll

I have an old Ingersoll wristwatch with a cracked acrylic crystal. It popped out of the case with finger pressure, but now I can't find a replacement that will go back in, even with a press. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for?

I started on the Cousins web site, but found that impossible to find the right replacement unless you know a part number. I bought one on spec that was the right diameter, but wouldn't go in. Ironically, it fit perfectly in another old watch I'm working on. Then I bought one from ebay which looked right, but broke when I tried to push it in place.

Here are photos of the old crystal with dimensions. I'll be grateful for any advice.

2019-09-30_10-44-46

2019-09-30_10-53-01

And the old crystal as it was in the watch

DSC_0344a

You need a claw type tool for that crystal not a press , the claw tool squeezes it in all the way round so you can then fit it into the watch bezel , you should be able to find the crystal required from cousins 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, andyclient said:

You need a claw type tool for that crystal not a press , the claw tool squeezes it in all the way round so you can then fit it into the watch bezel , you should be able to find the crystal required from cousins 

Thanks, I've ordered one of those tools and see how it goes. However many watch tools you have, you always need another one. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Thanks, I've ordered one of those tools and see how it goes. However many watch tools you have, you always need another one. :)

This might help :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

after market crystols:   first measure the o.d. of the original.  which you have done.  esslinger should have it.  i bought an asortment from india, years ago and am still working with that.   ill post the name.   vin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spinynorman said:

tell me if it works - I am thinking I may need one when I break out the crystal on a front-loader I am modding ha ha ha

4 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

tell me if it works - I am thinking I may need one when I break out the crystal on a front-loader I am modding ha ha ha

I hope it does. Even a couple of quid for a crystal starts to add up when you're breaking them. :whistle:

18 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

I hope it does. Even a couple of quid for a crystal starts to add up when you're breaking them. :whistle:

I buy two of everything, saves on postage if you break one, and after a bit you have enough spare bits for a whole new watch!

• Haha 1

On 30/09/2019 at 20:57, Jet Jetski said:

On 30/09/2019 at 11:39, andyclient said:

I bought the claw tool, but it didn't help with the crystal I bought. So I went back and bought one 0.2mm wider and that went straight in, using the instructions in the video above. @andyclient thanks for the advice.

I asked Cousins customer service for help identifying the right crystal and was told "search our site under watch glass". So I found what I needed on eBay.

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I bought the claw tool, but it didn't help with the crystal I bought. So I went back and bought one 0.2mm wider and that went straight in, using the instructions in the video above. @andyclient thanks for the advice.

I asked Cousins customer service for help identifying the right crystal and was told "search our site under watch glass". So I found what I needed on eBay.

You're welcome , glad it all worked out , you did the right thing with going .2mm larger as it will ensure a nice tight waterproof fit .

Unfortunately Cousins are not very helpful , thats me being polite :whistle:

• Like 1