• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Davey P

Signs that your watch collection has got too big........

51 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

I have decided that that is enough watches and my intention is to stop buying any more, I can do it,  no really, I can :biggrin: 

Good luck with that mate :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Davey P said:

I was wondering today, what are the signs that your watch collection has got too big...  In my case, it suddenly became clear when I chose a watch to wear this morning, and it needed a battery change.  I thought I might as well take the opportunity to fit new batteries to any others that needed it at the same time.  And the total?  14 bloody watches :swoon:

I guess I should think myself lucky I can do battery changes myself.... :yahoo:

Anyone else on here think their watch collection has got a bit out of control?

Approximately 50% of my watch collection are quartz, and I always pull the crown out to prevent power loss. The exception being my Orient Solar. 

13 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I don't need willpower...I just don't wear them anymore...no need to.

I don’t need to do a great many things,but I like to:whistle:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

Approximately 50% of my watch collection are quartz, and I always pull the crown out to prevent power loss. 

I never pull the crowns out on mine, it sort of defeats the object of having a grab & go collection if you have to reset the date and time whenever you pick one to wear... :tongue:

Just noticed there's one more that needs a battery, so that makes 15 now :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

Approximately 50% of my watch collection are quartz, and I always pull the crown out to prevent power loss. The exception being my Orient Solar. 

I can’t be bothered,batteries are cheap enough.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I don't need willpower...I just don't wear them anymore...no need to.

Do you find since retirement you wear a watch less and less ? 

2 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

Well I certainly don’t wear as often as when I worked,but that’s not a problem.

19 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

When I was still working I only wore one watch at a time while on shift.Well, being a Psychiatric Nurse I didn`t want my colleagues thinking I was a wee bit loopy, well  at least no more then the average member of staff who were all a wee bit odd  at the best of times :laughing2dw:

Now that I`m retired I usually go double-wristed & tend to swap my watches a few times each day. Weird, moi! AZIF!! :whistle: :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

I don't understand the connection between not needing to know the time and not buying more watches. Someone explain ... :hmmm9uh:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

I don't understand the connection between not needing to know the time and not buying more watches. Someone explain ... :hmmm9uh:

Wait... whoah... they tell the time as well??? :swoon:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I'm exactly the same...most gone now...into single figures and no need for any more. Well done Bonzodog! :thumbsup:

Same here. Just below double figures and a few sales planned. Since I retired I find although I still like wearing a nice quality watch, there are fewer opportunities to do so.  I'm planning on getting down to about 5 or 6 which will include 3 definite keepers. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jsud2002 said:

That's exactly correct, John. I no longer need to know what time of day it is...I just go with the flow. It's amazing how liberating it is. If I do need to know the time for an appointment, then there are at least 3 clocks in the house.

• Like 1

I don't think I like this thread, all this talk about having too many watches and reducing collections is giving me palpitations, seriously folks stop it. :nono::laughing2dw:

I've far too many watches, tend too horde rather than sell, but i'm happy with them and for me that's all that counts, plus I still wear every one of them. Also I've found the opposite of some others since retiring, I find I can wear watches now without the worry of getting them damaged at work, plus I've more time to sit and admire them.

The only trouble I have with my collection is deciding on the main watch to finish it off, had my heart set on an Omega DeVille before i came here, but you guys here, with your pictures, have just thrown up so many other options that it's hard to choose. :sign_question::laughing2dw:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Graham60 said:

I don't think I like this thread, all this talk about having too many watches and reducing collections is giving me palpitations, seriously folks stop it. :nono::laughing2dw:

I've not enough watches, tend too collect rather than sell, but i'm happy with them and for me that's all that counts,  Since retiring, I find I can wear watches now without the worry of getting them damaged at work, plus I've more time to sit and admire them.

The only trouble I have with my collection is deciding what next ?

Me too!

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Boots said:

Oops, 35   (and that wasn't an accounting error, just work in progress)

Err...  36... No.... 37.... 

It's been a bit of a day. I think it may be a little bit out of control. I shall go and lie down in a darkened room now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

only ever changed one battery, paid for others to be changed but it was many years ago now when I knew no better , sending my Guccis to Gucci! £50 a pop but it was re sealed etc , at this moment I am currently enjoying the watches I have (12) only 3 with batteries to worry about, finance has a lot to do with my lack of new purchase's rather than the will power to resist , also the one in one out rule helps control the incoming, does mean my WRUW contributions can get a bit repetitive :biggrin:

deano 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could keep buying, there are so many desirable pieces that catch my attention... 

For me, too many is when you have so many that it's not really possible to wear them all somewhat regularly or you have no need to own a particular piece.

I'm on 11 with one definite incoming and probably one more decent purchase of 2019.

Since I discovered that a lot of interesting vintage watches can be had for very little money, my biggest problem is deciding what not to buy.

When you have lovely watches gathering dust most of the time.

Its funny how people who love watches the most end up wasting their life the most in a rotation

21 hours ago, Davey P said:

Wait... whoah... they tell the time as well??? :swoon:

If you put batteries . . . .

• Haha 3

Only got two watches, well three actually but its not working, i wear the same one all the time and although the other is a nice watch its just a back-up (ecodrive so lives on the windowsill),as you`ll no doubt be aware im not a collector:tongue:, if i had lots of the things i`d probably still have a favourite that got worn every day, and i`d just leave the others in the drawer.

Some guys on here have superb collections, its just a bit sad that such nice pieces might only see the light of day an handfull of times a year.:(

I've got around 60 watches now and have never contemplated selling any... the more I learn the more I want, although I am now trying to slow the rate of my purchases...

20 hours ago, deano1956 said:

only ever changed one battery, paid for others to be changed but it was many years ago now when I knew no better , sending my Guccis to Gucci! £50 a pop but it was re sealed etc , at this moment I am currently enjoying the watches I have (12) only 3 with batteries to worry about, finance has a lot to do with my lack of new purchase's rather than the will power to resist , also the one in one out rule helps control the incoming, does mean my WRUW contributions can get a bit repetitive :biggrin:

deano 

I once sent a tag to have a new battery and it cost £80. The battery and new seal cost about a quid. I since sold the watch to a friend and changed the battery for him some time later. The charge, a pint of Fosters. Of course, I can't pressure test watches, but who the hell goes diving anyway ?

• Like 2