• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
BMM

Watch Price Comparison (Take 2)

Hi everyone, recently I stumbled upon a Tissot watch while browsing the internet, and it reminded me of a Tudor that I'd seen a while back. I had a look at the Tudor and realised that there didn't seem to be much difference in the watches, other than the prices. So here I am, and I was hoping someone could clarify whether there was any justification other than brand/history on the much higher price of the Tudor (out of curiosity)?*

From what I can see, the similarities are as follows: 316L steel construction, same size case, both use sapphire crystals (with the Tissot having a sapphire display-back as well) and they both utilise the same movement.

The differences as far as I can tell: SuperLuminova (Tissot) and 100m water resistance (Tudor - rather than Tissot's 30m). Also, I'm assuming the bracelet on the Tudor is better, and that Tudor will have decorated the movement as seen on their other watches using ETA movements. I'm not confident on whether Tissot has too decorated their movement, but if so I doubt it would compare to the Tudor's level of decoration. I'm very confident that the Tudor has a top grade movement but couldn't find anything solid on it. 

*I understand that the (probable) differences such as grade of movement and overall finish (etc) do come with a bigger price, but the difference (at MSRP) of the watches is £1470. Is it justified?

The watches in question: The Tissot and the Tudor

Many thanks,

Ben

On price, the Tissot wins. The bracelet looks horrible thought.

1 minute ago, Jet Jetski said:

Could look good on leather.

And it's £1470 cheaper! What's with that? Do you think the Tudor can justify such a high price tag?

Compare them in person in a shop in your hands. The difference in the real world is ALOT more than you can see online or on paper.

However diminishing returns kick in with watches after about the £350- 700 mark

1 minute ago, Jet Jetski said:

Could look good on leather.

Agreed, but not a Tissot one. I find it weird that Hamilton come supplied with very decent straps, and Tissot come with garbage. (Both Swatch) the Deployant clasps that came on any Tissot I've owned are of the self opening design, usually when your arm is at full swing military marching style.

6 minutes ago, BMM said:

Do you think the Tudor can justify such a high price tag?

Probably not, but they will as long as people pay, plus wearing a Tissot won't turn you into David Beckham or Lady Gaga. :laughing2dw: which can be a bit of a risk. I turned into Lady Gaga.

c2b0e1cc056b4bd091b5eec34320c58b.jpg

Thanks for your input guys.

I'm not quite sure I understand when you say "diminishing returns"?

4 minutes ago, MSC said:

Compare them in person in a shop in your hands. The difference in the real world is ALOT more than you can see online or on paper.

However diminishing returns kick in with watches after about the £350- 700 mark

Just now, BMM said:

I'm not quite sure I understand when you say "diminishing returns"?

Means you get less and less improvements in quality for you money beyond a certain point.

14 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Probably not, but they will as long as people pay, plus wearing a Tissot won't turn you into David Beckham or Lady Gaga. :laughing2dw: which can be a bit of a risk. I turned into Lady Gaga.

c2b0e1cc056b4bd091b5eec34320c58b.jpg

I think I'd be happy with either option. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, MSC said:

Means you get less and less improvements in quality for you money beyond a certain point.

Ahh I understand now thanks for clarifying.

To use another car anology think about it this way. 

Some Volvos and Fords use the same platform and 5 cylinder engines but the Volvo is streets ahead in the publics perception. 

Or Saabs and Vauxhalls were another one, pretty much the same barring the badge 

• Like 1

Probably there are a number of factors.  One being small differences like the polish of the watch and the general finish of the case.  The quality of the dial, indicies etc on the face of it the two may well look the same but as someone else has said handle the two side by side and the differences will soon become clear.  Quality of the bracelet may be another factor.  Is the difference worth 1500 pounds?  Well thats for the buyer to decide.

Speaking of brand ambassadors, Tissot do have one or two.  Just so you know where you money is going of course......

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/ambassadors

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

Or Saabs and Vauxhalls were another one, pretty much the same barring the badge 

Vauxhalls were mostly made at the Adam Opel factories and were badge clones ... Saabs were parts tarts but were not general motors badge clones.

1 hour ago, BMM said:

And it's £1470 cheaper! What's with that? Do you think the Tudor can justify such a high price tag?

The Tudor is a fabulous watch for the money when compared to many many other in that price bracket.

Yes it absolutely can justify the price. The Tissot is also a fabulous entry level watch. But it is what it is. If you try them both on you will indeed see where the differences are.

BTW there are about 1000 different grades of 316L steel. All 316L means , is that minimum alloy percentages are present. Some Chinese 316L steel is less suitable for watches than refined and forged Boneo Dog biscuits.

Tudor are without question fantastic watches, albeit I don't own one. I have 3 Tissot watches, and they are brilliant. I would save the additional money, buy a Tissot, and have some money left to spend on another watch