• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
rc crown ii

Is this Longines Swiss made?

https://www.jomashop.com/longines-l48744122.html

I know technically it's made in Switzerland under the Swiss Swatch group, but

most of the watches say "Swiss made" at the bottom however the one I was looking at in the link just says "Swiss" at the bottom.

Does it say that because it doesn't meet the requirements or is it just something for the Aesthetics?

1 hour ago, rc crown ii said:

https://www.jomashop.com/longines-l48744122.html

I know technically it's made in Switzerland under the Swiss Swatch group, but

most of the watches say "Swiss made" at the bottom however the one I was looking at in the link just says "Swiss" at the bottom.

Does it say that because it doesn't meet the requirements or is it just something for the Aesthetics?

pretty sure 'Swiss' and 'Swiss Made' are the same thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jet Jetski said:

pretty sure 'Swiss' and 'Swiss Made' are the same thing.

Thank you, appreciate it.

I really do not care one way or another, just that the quality is good (which this brand appears to get great feedback), but was just curious as I read that their are certain standards to apply the "swiss made" stamp!

I thought it might be a tactic to claim swiss but not necessarily abide by the "swiss made" standards e.g. more parts from out of country, etc.!

4 hours ago, rc crown ii said:

I thought it might be a tactic to claim swiss but not necessarily abide by the "swiss made" standards e.g. more parts from out of country, etc.!

Its a historic thing .... Longines Flagship models often had "Swiss" instead of "Swiss made" . There are certainly Swiss made.

• Thanks 1

No difference. Both mean the same as use the same Swiss legal standards. Longines is a great make with good horological history. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ong said:

No difference. Both mean the same as use the same Swiss legal standards. Longines is a great make with good horological history. 

Although to be fair .... I had a Swiss Roll a few weeks ago that had "Swiss" written on it. Useless as a timepiece ... but the Ice cream was perfect texture, although curiously Cornish, not Swiss.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, rc crown ii said:

Here's a picture off Longines official web site.

flagship-L4.974.4.12.6-800x1750.jpg

Courtesy of S. Holmes.

6 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Here's a picture off Longines official web site.

flagship-L4.974.4.12.6-800x1750.jpg

Courtesy of S. Holmes.

That one, but with black leather, is the one I'm looking at. Good info from all, might grab it after I finish paying off some of my college courses:thumbsup:

19 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Although to be fair .... I had a Swiss Roll a few weeks ago that had "Swiss" written on it. Useless as a timepiece ... but the Ice cream was perfect texture, although curiously Cornish, not Swiss.

Gawd only knows where our name for that helically wound “delicacy” came from. I have never seen anything remotely like it in Switzerland. 
Probably some inane attempt to make the mundane sound posh (c.f. Swiss Toni).

Edited by yokel
  • Haha 1