Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

need help 

my mum has been given a ww2 pocket watch left by her grandad and and there are some markings on the back which she would like to know what they are is there any one that could tell me what they are or could be. 

the front of the watch reads: ORATIONS WATCH CO.PRESETIONS then bottom SWISS WATCH 

on the back it has arrow point up and markings reads: 305282 then  G.S.T.P under it 295443 scratched out then xx under that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

welcome to the watch forum.    if you want to know how old it is or if it is ww  2,  the case back will have to be removed showing the watch movment.  cheers,   vin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stuart3009 said:

need help 

my mum has been given a ww2 pocket watch left by her grandad and and there are some markings on the back which she would like to know what they are is there any one that could tell me what they are or could be. 

the front of the watch reads: ORATIONS WATCH CO.PRESETIONS then bottom SWISS WATCH 

on the back it has arrow point up and markings reads: 305282 then  G.S.T.P under it 295443 scratched out then xx under that

Is it a demob watch? 

I've got my dads and his has GSTP on it I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2019 at 07:51, Stuart3009 said:

the front of the watch reads: ORATIONS WATCH CO.PRESETIONS then bottom SWISS WATCH 

I think you mean ORATOR WATCH Co PRECISION. GSTP is "General Service Trade Pattern", though I think there is some disagreement about "trade". What your mum has is a Swiss made, WW2 service issue watch. The numbers are usually just stock numbers, so probably not significant, but someone else may have more information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for correcting that reading by Stuart of the legend on his watch @spinynorman - most helpful.

Orator was a brand name used by the Swiss "Schild & Co" watch concern, and here is an advert from 1946 showing three examples of Orator branded watches. Interestingly, the manner of wording for the registrations of "Orator" (and "Reform") seem to imply that Orator was a company in its own right, within the Schild stable, and there are examples of watches where the movement is marked, Orator Watch Co. (pic from s.ecrater.com):

 

4fd43f4b1dc06_260372n.jpg

 

 

And here is an Orator chronograph from about 1950 with 34.5 mm (excl. crown) gold plated case and steel back; powered by a hand-wind Landeron 288 movement (pics from images.antiquesatlas.com):

Gents_1950s_Orator_chronograph_as170a327

Gents_1950s_Orator_chronograph_as170a327

Gents_1950s_Orator_chronograph_as170a327

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I think you mean ORATOR WATCH Co PRECISION. GSTP is "General Service Trade Pattern", though I think there is some disagreement about "trade". What your mum has is a Swiss made, WW2 service issue watch. The numbers are usually just stock numbers, so probably not significant, but someone else may have more information.

    there is a lot of info on that subject, but not alway easy to find !   vin

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 07:41, Turpinr said:

Is it a demob watch? 

I've got my dads and his has GSTP on it I think

   "demob" ?  like Big Louie  and "the boys" ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2019 at 15:41, Turpinr said:

Is it a demob watch? 

I've got my dads and his has GSTP on it I think

I have my father's Elgin pocket watch, which he described as his "present from King George". I assumed he meant he just didn't give it back after the war, never occurred to me it might have been legitimate. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, vinn said:

"demob" ?  like Big Louie  and "the boys" ?

This is Great Britain. Our valiant troops were "demobilized" after the war. :yes:

4 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

And here is an Orator chronograph from about 1950 with 34.5 mm (excl. crown) gold plated case and steel back; powered by a hand-wind Landeron 288 movement

Thanks for that. I've developed a bit of a crush on Landeron mechanicals, 99% of which I can't afford. :laugh:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I have my father's Elgin pocket watch, which he described as his "present from King George". I assumed he meant he just didn't give it back after the war, never occurred to me it might have been legitimate. :rolleyes:

This is Great Britain. Our valiant troops were "demobilized" after the war. :yes:

 

I always believed he'd been given it when he was demobbed at xmas 1946 but he may have been given in while he was aircrew during hostilities.

It's a Helvitia although there's no name on the front.I only found out this week that both he front and back screw off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Turpinr said:

I always believed he'd been given it when he was demobbed at xmas 1946 but he may have been given in while he was aircrew during hostilities.

It's a Helvitia although there's no name on the front.I only found out this week that both he front and back screw off.

The Elgin does that too, so it was probably part of the standard spec. My father was a Quarter Master in the 2nd Btn Kensington Rgt, so I guess he could've had boxes of them. 

Here's the watch ...

IMG_6679_proc

 

 

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

The Elgin does that too, so it was probably part of the standard spec. My father was a Quarter Master in the 2nd Btn Kensington Rgt, so I guess he could've had boxes of them. 

Here's the watch ...

IMG_6679_proc

 

 

There's some writing inside the back cover that I thought had been scratched on but I've seen pics of similar watches with the same scratches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on one of the US military pocket watch,  the front bezel was not threaded,  just a slip fit.   i never did find out the reason.      vin

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nothing I can see in mine other than Star Case Co branding and, most likely, a servicing mark.

49037112388_60f21ff1fa_c.jpg

Doesn't look like the OP is coming back.

The smaller No. to the left and the bottom one in the middle, I couldn't make out what it says

 

 

Below is what my dad's movement looks like without the Helvitia stamp.e2c0e2e38caa1e3aee9ef5e0e857be1e.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  diss reguard any "scrached in info"   all  the watchmaker had their own code or date.   diffficult to explain this.   vin

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2019 at 15:34, Turpinr said:

The smaller No. to the left and the bottom one in the middle, I couldn't make out what it says

 

 

Below is what my dad's movement looks like without the Helvitia stamp.e2c0e2e38caa1e3aee9ef5e0e857be1e.jpg

Hi Turpinr,

This is the Helvetia 32A movement which was their standard movement for GSTP Pocket watches from the wartime period.

Helvetia supplied pocket watches to the allies during the war and wrist watches to the Germans. They specialised in waterproof and shockproof watches before the war.

Have a look at my site here for some general info, though I don't have a page on pocket watches yet.

www.helvetiahistory.co.uk

Thanks. Carl.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi Turpinr, This is the Helvetia 32A movement which was their standard movement for GSTP Pocket watches from the wartime period. Helvetia supplied pocket watches to the allies during the war and wrist watches to the Germans. They specialised in waterproof and shockproof watches before the war. Have a look at my site here for some general info, though I don't have a page on pocket watches yet. www.helvetiahistory.co.uk

Thanks Carl.

 

 

 

Cheers, appreciate that. Below are 2 pics of his

9e059bc7a9abbff3ff8029477b60f716.jpg2881a5df506f05c9ceb61c9055f25fe9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...