• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Do you think it's fun to buy first and research later if ...

... it's pretty cheap?

I bought a nice GP watch once for 22 Great British Pounds because it seemed well looked after and had really good hand length, applied indices and stuff; and when I got the back off, at home, it had a decent AS 17 jewel movement in, and it keeps tip-top time.

And for just under £20.00 I have just bought a Seiko off the bay because it has a nice gold-yellow dial that has a bit of that corrugated effect like the Junkers watches as were and which I thought I might buy, and I like the hands which seem to have plenty of lume.  But there were the normal warnings about it's an old watch and may have had parts replaced, and first thoughts were I bet the hands have been done lol.

Anyway, I found a pic of another (posher) Seiko 5 with the same hands

SYMK46_hires.thumb.jpg.eb5093ae2553e427ae1ba36801870361.jpg

and I ran the serial number through this website http://www.watchsleuth.com/seikodatefinder/

and it checked out with the movement, case type, writing on the dial etc. so maybe I got myself a little bargain.

But it still felt a bit more fun to take a little punt on a cheap watch - I researched my Strela for ages and I was sweating for ages after I bought it until the watchmaker had given it the once over.

How far would you chance your wallet, based on your gut :laugh:?!

I dont collect watches, but if i was paying 20 quid for a watch and i liked it i`d happily go for it without any research, only ones we would would ignore are fakes (but thats well documented), at worst you`d have been 20 quid down, but as it happened you`ve got a nice piece you`re obviously happy with it.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

How far would you chance your wallet, based on your gut :laugh:?!

What I'm prepared to lose. So that's about £25.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

What I'm prepared to lose. So that's about £25.

about the same here  -  by comparison, I paid the same as I have for this Seiko, in Burger King last weekend after our Snowdon expedition (to be fair we had an appetite on lol)

26 minutes ago, sabailand said:

I dont collect watches

I'm trying not to.  Well, I was.   Not trying very hard, obvs!

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1

I've bought plenty of quartz watches in the past advertised as needing a new battery, and I'm happy to take a punt based on the fact that almost every watch I've tried will start up and run perfectly with a simple battery change.  The law of averages says there will be the odd one that doesn't work, but in my experience that rarely happens.  I'm happy to spend around £30-ish on a watch needing a new battery, but I've also bought whole joblots for much less than that, and they usually all work fine.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I've bought plenty of quartz watches in the past advertised as needing a new battery, and I'm happy to take a punt based on the fact that almost every watch I've tried will start up and run perfectly with a simple battery change.  The law of averages says there will be the odd one that doesn't work, but in my experience that rarely happens.  I'm happy to spend around £30-ish on a watch needing a new battery, but I've also bought whole joblots for much less than that, and they usually all work fine.

OK - I always think 'may need a battery' = broken : I mean, how hard is it to change a battery and sell a watch that works?  But seems some people rather just bin it 'as is', going by your experience?

8 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

OK - I always think 'may need a battery' = broken : I mean, how hard is it to change a battery and sell a watch that works?  But seems some people rather just bin it 'as is', going by your experience?

Yep, I've done it loads of times mate.  Quartz watches are pretty reliable these days, and almost always fire up and run perfectly after a quick battery change :thumbsup:  I buy batteries 10 at a time, so I've usually got the correct size in stock, which is handy.  As long as they look cosmetically good, and are cheap enough not to worry if they're genuinely buggered, I'm happy to take a punt on them :tongue:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

I've bought three perfectly good mechanicals listed as requiring a battery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

When I was into the Seiko 7T32s in a big way, I quite often bought pieces listed as spares and repairs either for the movements (which were hard/impossible to source new) or for bits like pushers, hands, undamaged cases, bracelets, etc. Most of these were only a few quid, and in a lot of cases, as Davey says, would actually fire up with a new battery, despite the fact I'd only bought them for parts. Have to admit though, by this time, the research had already been done on the original I needed the parts for.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I've bought three perfectly good mechanicals listed as requiring a battery.

I once sold a quartz watch, and had pulled the crown out to prevent the batter running down. The buyer complained it wasn't working and wanted a refund. I pointed out the problem, but it took ebay 5 weeks to release the funds. 

• Like 1

I should probably add, my "buy first and research later" tactic did go horribly wrong a few months ago, with an impulse buy of a lovely looking Fat Face watch.  I won the watch on ebay after a last minute bid, without asking the seller one simple question......... What is the size?  When it arrived, it was a tiny ladies model, which looked a lot bigger in the photos :laughing2dw:

I haven't taken any of my own pics yet, but here is the original listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fat-Face-Watch-/264412257325?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=wlOJQ78iAHM92JDTwcTGck1I01s%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

In my defence, the description states simply: "Fat Face Watch in excellent condition" and to be fair, that is exactly what I received.  The watch is in beautiful unmarked NOS condition, and for less than a tenner it's got to be one of the best bargains I've had for a long time.  It didn't even need a battery, and keeps perfect time as you might expect.  I'm sure Ruthie will wear it with pride when I get round to taking out all of the removable links to fit her skinny wrist.  Interestingly, the bracelet is massive, and would easily fit an 8 inch wrist.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I should probably add, my "buy first and research later" tactic did go horribly wrong a few months ago, with an impulse buy of a lovely looking Fat Face watch.  I won the watch on ebay after a last minute bid, without asking the seller one simple question......... What is the size?  When it arrived, it was a tiny ladies model, which looked a lot bigger in the photos :laughing2dw:

I haven't taken any of my own pics yet, but here is the original listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fat-Face-Watch-/264412257325?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=wlOJQ78iAHM92JDTwcTGck1I01s%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

In my defence, the description states simply: "Fat Face Watch in excellent condition" and to be fair, that is exactly what I received.  The watch is in beautiful unmarked NOS condition, and for less than a tenner it's got to be one of the best bargains I've had for a long time.  It didn't even need a battery, and keeps perfect time as you might expect.  I'm sure Ruthie will wear it with pride when I get round to taking out all of the removable links to fit her skinny wrist.  Interestingly, the bracelet is massive, and would easily fit an 8 inch wrist.

Nice one:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have taken a punt a few times and not been badly burned... and I have taken a few chances on more expensive purchases.

I bought my 9ct Rolex 1923 pretty randomly,   I knew no comparative values etc and just asked for a photo of the moment and then took a punt.   The research was fun to do and I still don't know if I bought it well or not but I haven't seen a complete working example yet... just a couple of auction notes on broken ones sold for parts.

Of course I have had some nightmares buying watches unseen.   My JLC was described as mint but the strap was falling apart and the watch was not functioning correctly...there was no way I was going to send such an expensive watch back to Poland to be "put right" by an undisclosed person.   So I had to fork out money here for a new strap and a service from someone trustworthy (total cost around £850 which they would not make any contribution to and Chrono24 would not give any support on.)   If the model was not as rare as it is and the price had not been good in the first place that would have been a bit of a disaster but I was happy in the end with the watch even if the misdescription and poor service was frustrating at the time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bonzodog said:

When it arrived, it was a tiny ladies model, which looked a lot bigger in the photos :laughing2dw:

I've done that too, with a "WW1 trench watch" that would have looked completely stupid on a soldier. The dimensions were listed too, I was just too excited to notice. 

• Like 1

Things are a bit quiet over here, so I've just been nosing around ebay and put a cheeky bid in for a nice little joblot... :whistle:  

It's not up for another 6 days, so this is just a set-and-forget one that won't be increased if I get outbid :tongue:

• Like 2

I know sniping apps are controversial, but I do like being able to set up a bid well in advance - and then cancel it when I come to my senses. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

I know sniping apps are controversial, but I do like being able to set up a bid well in advance - and then cancel it when I come to my senses. :biggrin:

Never saw the point of using a sniping app, I just bid what I'm comfortable with and let the market find it's own level at the end of the listing.  If someone wants it more than I do and outbids me, that's fine, and they are welcome to it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davey P said:

Never saw the point of using a sniping app, I just bid what I'm comfortable with and let the market find it's own level at the end of the listing.  If someone wants it more than I do and outbids me, that's fine, and they are welcome to it :thumbsup:

Yes, but what do you do when you've put an insanely high bid on something gorgeous you really must have, until next morning, when you realize it's a purple Seiko 5 from India? I just cancel the snipe and no-one's any the wiser.

6 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Yes, but what do you do when you've put an insanely high bid on something gorgeous you really must have, until next morning, when you realize it's a purple Seiko 5 from India? I just cancel the snipe and no-one's any the wiser.

Have you seen my watch collection?  It's safe to say, I never put in an insanely high bid for anything :laughing2dw:  Also, you don't need sniping software to cancel your bids if you change your mind and realise you don't really need that purple Seiko after all...  Ebay allows you to do that anyway.  The only time I've needed to do that is when I've put in bids for a couple of items that are the same, and unexpectedly won the first one :whistle:

yes hence ive had more than my fair share of mercedes benz. 

i should have stuck to porsche like my friends...