• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Watch-and-C

Hello... A £500 watch advice?

This all started when I caught a Mathey-Tissot segment on a shopping channel. Cut a long story short, henceforth I fancied a watch... and then someone said to me "if you're getting one, get yourself a good one. 

So if I gave you £400-500 to buy a classic, reserved mans watch, what would you buy? 

The M-T "Rolly" subs that originally caught my eye only came with dials in primary RGB colours or black, with leather or a SS bracelet strap. If there was a mechanical/automatic MT with a silver dial, we prob wouldn't be having this conversation. 

When looking around, I ended up on a replica site and really liked a "Datejust" with metal finishes for bracelet, case, fluted bezel & dial. All the finishes were approx. the same, it had class. 

I'm avoiding leather straps as the eyelet end of every strap I've ever owned has always looked like the dog chewed it once you take it off... especially if you used a few holes. :-)

If I get a decent watch I'd like it to look as attractive as me when we're both naked. :-) 

You best bet would be to browse around the members owners clubs section of the forum and get an idea of which styles you like. Also have a look at Steinhart and Christopher Ward - both brands have had favourable comments on the forum and have watches in your price bracket.

• Like 1

Firstly, keep fakes out of the forum and keep away from them generally – nasty, exploitative business and wearing a fake just makes you look like a desperate tit.

Secondly, you don't say what size you feel comfortable with what size your wrist is.

But a Seiko SARB 033 or 035 might fit the bill?

s-l640.jpg

S-SARB035_f_1024x1024.jpg?v=1418355134

• Like 3

6 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

Firstly, keep fakes out of the forum and keep away from them generally – nasty, exploitative business and wearing a fake just makes you look like a desperate tit.

Secondly, you don't say what size you feel comfortable with what size your wrist is.

But a Seiko SARB 033 or 035 might fit the bill?

s-l640.jpg

S-SARB035_f_1024x1024.jpg?v=1418355134

Are these not discontinued?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ZenArcade said:

Possibly, but still plenty available on the Bay.

Anyway, I suspect we won't be hearing back from our new member so it's all moot.

• Like 2

On 18/10/2019 at 19:39, ZenArcade said:

That's a bit unfair. Anyway, thanks for the hints, appologies about the 'fake' mention. I'd googled watch forum and looked through the top results... 

I came by last night and wrote a reply and then got sidetracked looking at watches. 

I liked the design of that Seiko (above) but brand names like seiko, accurist, citizen, Longines aren't (appologies) floating my boat, same with quartz movments. I think my smart, going out watch would have to have some 'soul' such as a mechanical (automatic) swiss watch, if you follow? 

This Tissot "Gentleman" looks the part. 

tissot_2.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=form

Is there such a beast as a watch, looking like the above, with a lunar or night display and a clear rear case to look at the attractive mechanicals? 

Does my budget need multiplying? By 3? :-) 

1 minute ago, Watch-and-C said:

15 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

Anyway, I suspect we won't be hearing back from our new member so it's all moot.

That's a bit unfair

P. S. Sorry for screwing up the posts

Welcome back. Drive-by, single-post members are not uncommon so apologies for the aspersion.

I like the new Tissot but don't think it's available in the UK yet?

Certina do a good range of simple, three-handers with the same movement, or standard ETA movements:

crt-289-certina-watch-ds-4-day-date-auto

CRT-284_large.jpg?v=1488531312

CRT-385_large.jpg?v=1488531364

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/10/2019 at 09:13, it'salivejim said:

I own one of these boxed and unworn, I wind it once a month, and, move it around to give the rotor a 'workout', I totally agree with you even though I have never worn mine.

The Sarb033 is a beautiful watch and punches well above it's price band. Classy and well made. A great choice!

• Thanks 1

Tons of choice at £500 so take your time, look around and then again before jumping on a watch you really like. I do like the suggestions given here above by members and my favourite of these is the somewhat "left-field" idea of a Certina - nice one @it'salivejim.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2019 at 15:57, Always"watching" said:

Tons of choice at £500 so take your time, look around and then again before jumping on a watch you really like. I do like the suggestions given here above by members and my favourite of these is the somewhat "left-field" idea of a Certina - nice one @it'salivejim.

Yes, looking at watch sites is my current passtime. (excuse the pun) 

Thanks for showing patience, my last post saw me specifying a diverse list of wants while writing off a few of the the bigger/popular lower-end brands! [duh!!] 

I'm now looking at Seiko seriously after reading about the "Seiko 5" as, if you'll excuse another pun, it ticked all the boxes. :-) 

Is there a Seiko 5 is a dressy case? All I'm finding is sports/diver style. 

Thanks

On 20/10/2019 at 15:57, Always"watching" said:

Yes, looking at watch sites is my current passtime. (excuse the pun) 

Thanks for showing patience, my last post saw me specifying a diverse list of wants while writing off a few of the the bigger/popular lower-end brands! [duh!!] 

I'm now looking at Seiko seriously after reading about the "Seiko 5" as, if you'll excuse another pun, it ticked all the boxes. :-) 

Is there a Seiko 5 is a dressy case? All I'm finding is sports/diver style. 

Thanks

• Like 1

Some of the dressy Seiko 5 watches have surprisingly poor quality bracelets using folded links, or at least they did when I bought some about 10 years ago.  The Seiko 5 sports watches seem to be better quality and more expensive.

You can buy reasonable leather straps that will last quite a few years for about £10 and it is usually very easy to change it yourself.  I prefer most watches on a strap.

On 18/10/2019 at 11:22, Watch-and-C said:

This all started when I caught a Mathey-Tissot segment on a shopping channel. Cut a long story short, henceforth I fancied a watch... and then someone said to me "if you're getting one, get yourself a good one. 

So if I gave you £400-500 to buy a classic, reserved mans watch, what would you buy? 

Hi, welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with Mathey-Tissot watches, I've got a few, good brand, but if your were buying them , then you'll find them cheaper elsewhere, I've got a few from www.jomashop.com in America, even payin import taxes you'll still eb cheaper than the TV shopping channel.

As folks have said, great selection of watches out there are the price range you are looking at, quite a few Swiss brands, Seiko or the Orient Star range.

Don't have the Tissot you pictured, but have this one which is just above your initial price range, but slightly cheaper than the "Gentleman" you posted, although it doesn't have lume. :-

Tissot Ballade Powermatic 80 Chronometer T1084081103700 (6)

large.1994402366_TissotBalladePowermatic80ChronometerT1084081103700(7).jpg.a461900766129ee25fe34430607ced45.jpg

or could go Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, that has some lume, not a lot, but some .

Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic H32515555 Cal H10 (base ETA C07.611 (2824-2)) (5)Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic H32515555 Cal H10 (base ETA C07.611 (2824-2)) (6)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/10/2019 at 14:45, AlexC1981 said:

Some of the dressy Seiko 5 watches have surprisingly poor quality bracelets using folded links, or at least they did when I bought some about 10 years ago.  The Seiko 5 sports watches seem to be better quality and more expensive.

You can buy reasonable leather straps that will last quite a few years for about £10 and it is usually very easy to change it yourself.  I prefer most watches on a strap.

Hey Alec, alls I've ever owned would probably have been inexpensive "leather" straps that after 6 mths the "holes" half of the strap looks like the dog chewed it. I'd like to avoid that if I can. Are you saying that a proper, decent leather strap won't do that so much? 

So I've mainly been looking at SS bracelets, which does alter my options a bit. 

On 29/10/2019 at 09:26, Graham60 said:

Hi, welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with Mathey-Tissot watches, I've got a few, good brand, but if your were buying them , then you'll find them cheaper elsewhere, I've got a few from www.jomashop.com in America, even payin import taxes you'll still eb cheaper than the TV shopping channel.

As folks have said, great selection of watches out there are the price range you are looking at, quite a few Swiss brands, Seiko or the Orient Star range.

Don't have the Tissot you pictured, but have this one which is just above your initial price range, but slightly cheaper than the "Gentleman" you posted, although it doesn't have lume. :-

or could go Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, that has some lume, not a lot, but some .

Hi graham, thanks for the welcome. :-) 

I've been looking through your collection at your Parnis and other Chinese/Russian brands, did you have a 1963 Seagull pilots watch or a Russian version? 

The Hamilton watches are nice but a bit ££. There's an American Classic Valiant Auto that I'm partial too and I'm wondering if my Fundmaster will spring for a Jazzmaster? :-) Bit psychotic talking about yourself in the 3rd person. :-) 

13 hours ago, Watch-and-C said:

Hey Alec, alls I've ever owned would probably have been inexpensive "leather" straps that after 6 mths the "holes" half of the strap looks like the dog chewed it. I'd like to avoid that if I can. Are you saying that a proper, decent leather strap won't do that so much? 

So I've mainly been looking at SS bracelets, which does alter my options a bit. 

I would expect one to last over a year without looking tatty.  Maybe you wear yours quite tight or get them wet?

You can easily change it if it looks tatty.  Takes 3 minutes.  £10 per year isn't so bad and you don't have to restrict yourself to bracelets then.  Changing to a strap of a different style or colour can make a watch feel like new again.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Watch-and-C said:

Hi graham, thanks for the welcome. :-) 

I've been looking through your collection at your Parnis and other Chinese/Russian brands, did you have a 1963 Seagull pilots watch or a Russian version? 

The Hamilton watches are nice but a bit ££. There's an American Classic Valiant Auto that I'm partial too and I'm wondering if my Fundmaster will spring for a Jazzmaster? :-) Bit psychotic talking about yourself in the 3rd person. :-) 

Hi

This is just what I do, but if I find a watch I like, if it's outside my budget or slightly more than I would really like to pay, I wait till an offer comes up. So many online Jewelers, sellers + ebay, Chrono24 that if you have a bit of patients you'll get what you're after at a lower price, but it does mean you have to continually check links for updates on offers. My Hamilton seems to be around £550 ish on most places, I got it at £470, but Chrono24 has ones around £450 new at moment.

I have this version of Chinese airforce watch, got it from https://watchunique.com/product-category/seagull-1963-original/?v=79cba1185463

There are a few variations, 38 or 42, Acrylic or Sapphire, of the watch from here as well https://www.poljot24.de/en/

Tianjin 1963 Chinese Airforce watch Cal ST19

Seagull 1963 Chinese Airforce watch Cal ST19 (4)

Edited by Graham60