• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Worst excuse you have used for 'needing' a new watch.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the sage @Karrusel predicted about twenty months ago, I keep having to think up excuses to buy another watch box. The watches seem to arrive without bothering with an excuse 

My new marketing campaign  

I deserve it. Other people spend hundreds of pounds a year on cigarettes, designer clothes, clubbing. I don't:) 

Posted Images

Ive just spent another grand on an old battered looking Omega SMP right because....., left the old one in my old porsche which ive just flogged to this bloke in Liverpool who cant see an old omega in the glove box, "someone must have been in your old 928 and nicked it while it was out on the forecourt son". If anyone comes across this car with an omega in it somewhere its still mine.

Image result for porsche 928 s2 the watch forum

11 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

Convinced myself into buying a Legend Diver because is was going on holiday! To be fair it was perfect at the beach, pool or dinner table :laugh:

mine wore that big i could have used it as a pool or dinner table, it used to catch things on those lugs too. 

like passing motorbikes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought a new watch for work after scratching the bracelet on my Tag F1 Chronograph by 'desk surfing.' 

It was a very noticeable scratch which polished out nicely but it gave me the excuse to park the Tag for days off. 

So in the summer I ordered the Tissot Seastar powermatic 80. Midnight blue dial on a black strap so no concerns about scratches. 

Now I fancied another work watch to wear in rotation with the Tissot and with a bracelet but at a much lower price than the Tag so I'm not so worried about scratches.

Seiko SRPD61K1 on order from Germany. Lovely green dial similar to the Rolex Hulk. It's the new 5 sports range but this particular colour is not available in the UK. 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

I had my eye on one of these, because with my eyesight, especially after a run and short of oxygen, I can't read the sub-dials on my current chronograph and need the minutes recorder on a sweep hand.  Also, it's a 20mm strap, and I have an extra long 20mm NATO waiting for it, so I can wear the watch over my training suit:  Certina DS = double shock, so it should cope with my high-impact jogging.   Pretty good excuses, I would say!  Eta 251.262 I think (I had a glass of wine, first since Crimbo, so don't judge lol)

Certina DS First Ceramic Chronograph Men's Watch C0144171605100 - 546x546

However, I spotted the reverse panda model, with bracelet, for the same price, UK seller, lightly used, on eBay - no shipping nor VAT, so .....  

I am waiting for this to arrive:

Image 21 - Certina-039-First-039-Gents-Chronograph-Watch-Immaculate-Condition-Boxed

but after I bought it, I noticed the advert says the lugs are 22mm, which disaster, of course, means that I now need to find ANOTHER watch, for my 20mm extra long NATO!  Unless the specification is a typo, and the lugs are really 20mm, in which case I won't need a new watch.  [Please be 22mm, please be 22mm]

I have also decided to keep my Seiko solar Tuna diver, for some reason I cannot remember, the sale of which was supposed to go towards this.  But I saved the VAT and shipping remember?!

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 3

Its a condition insurance. Wear and tear over a big collection means they will each be in far better condition. 

Or the kids are doing my nut again, im going to my office to surf watches and may need to buy one to improve my mental health. 

• Thanks 1

I am sure that for many collectors and enthusiasts it's not so much an excuse you need but more of a gap in your collection that to you is as wide as the Grand Canyon, and that you will only be able to show your face again in public once that gap filling watch is purchased.

• Thanks 1

Right ok my best excuse was..."dad Ive just bought some car polish 'zymol royale glaze' it cost 7 grand for the tin...actually true partially. Thought it really cost 5 grand and i used the rest to buy a longines LLD and a holiday in Morocco. Another watch i should have kept. 

18 hours ago, Rotundus said:

i dont need a new watch - i need a well priced near mint watch :thumbsup:

Like this!

IMG_20210316_123236565(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.b77dffa35047b28cd5ca9a7020ee48e6.jpg

But preferably wrapped in more than a single layer of white greaseproof paper - corners of the outer sleeve now a bit 'meh'.

When I send a watch you need a flamethrower to get in.

On 19/10/2019 at 16:06, Bonzodog said:

I want it.

With my wife we revert to the only thing I remember from spoken Spanish lessons: “lo necesito”, which actually translates as “I need it”. Once those words have been uttered, the other one knows how serious you are....

• Like 1

i need a new best watch to celebrate my retirement! its traditional, not been able to get one i want for lockdown!

that said i have been retired a year now and have never needed a watch less !!:laugh:

deano

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

i need a new best watch to celebrate my retirement! its traditional, not been able to get one i want for lockdown!

that said i have been retired a year now and have never needed a watch less !!:laugh:

deano

Dean lad the Insurance company you made the share holders rich for should have given you a solid gold one. The NHS gave me one when i was 35 to get a few confidentiality clauses tied up. So they say. 

And Dean lad...dont mention the ferret.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1