• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Have you done any watch care today? I ...

Fitted a new movement to this Mickey 70th anniversary, and now I am going to sell it, of course I am.  And the Timex used to stop occasionally at quarter past anything as the minute hand was slightly askew and would occasionally interfere with the passing of the second hand at '3', for some reason.  Anyway, it's fine now, and I brushed all the specs of lint out from the dial too.  Swapped some straps out, de-magnetised my Zim (need to figure out how to screw the back on again), took the back off one of my daughter's watches that needs a new battery and ordered 5 off the correct size.  I never thought of having watches as 'time-consuming' before!

Image may contain: one or more people

• Like 2

Not today, but fitted new battery to Mathey-Tissot yesterday, going to be wearing it this week and noticed it wasn't running.

Mathey Tissot Limited Edition Lord White (Ronda 1009-H112QAI) (6).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Graham60 said:

Not today, but fitted new battery to Mathey-Tissot yesterday, going to be wearing it this week and noticed it wasn't running.

Would you believe last week I picked up a watch, took a picture for the WRUW thread at ten to six, all good, then battery ran out half an hour later - of all the watches I could have picked up ...

this is the culprit -

IMG_20191011_055242598(1).thumb.jpg.4f8edf6947ee4412d9e1479d41ba30fd.jpg

• Like 1

Yes just about  sorted this Seiko 7009A

Now on test but does need a new glass and bezel needs to be put back on when the glass arrives.

Worn lower arbor pivot hole now fixed, no picture of it fixed sorry.

IMGP0032.jpg

IMGP0034.jpg

IMGP0036.jpg

Edited by PC-Magician
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

managed to drop mine in the toilet again after the flush, came up lovely after i wiped it off. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

managed to drop mine in the toilet again after the flush, came up lovely after i wiped it off. 

Will test the resistance of what I don't really know, maybe a new standard.

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

Yes just about  sorted this Seiko 7009A

Now on test but does need a new glass and bezel needs to be put back on when the glass arrives.

Worn lower arbor pivot hole now fixed, no picture of it fixed sorry.

IMGP0032.jpg

IMGP0034.jpg

IMGP0036.jpg

Making holes smaller must be a bit trickier than making them bigger ...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

Will test the resistance of what I don't really know, maybe a new standard.

its the last time i take it off to get it out its safer leaving it on, its picking it up off the top of the urinal and putting it back on the wrist where its in danger. Ive decided its better to risk banging it. 

6 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Erm.... you're wearing it wrong :laughing2dw:

possibly its just in danger at both points, on whilst shaking off the drops and off whilst on top of the urinal and im doing a risk assessment as to its greatest potentiality...it being the watch. 

56 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

58 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Yes you need a jeweling tool and broaches an easier way would be to jewel it if you can find one of the correct size.

Jewels are available for the 6000 series such as the 6139.

30 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

Yes you need a jeweling tool and broaches an easier way would be to jewel it if you can find one of the correct size.

Jewels are available for the 6000 series such as the 6139.

ok I am not at the broaching and jewelling stage - I am at the removing the movement so I can smash the crystal off the front stage

wait!  I did broach a big old minute hand to make a decent hour hand (will be a one handed watch when I'm done) for my Fossil - but no I have to bond it to the old skinny hand because it has like a socket round the hole that goes down below the dial lol

IMG_20191020_210724538(1).thumb.jpg.322c949149e2914530f913e2fbde6743.jpg

Not exactly watch mending but I did find one at the back of the cupboard I had been looking for all week.:laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Does wiping the crystal with a watch cleaning cloth count?:)

Yes.

:laughing2dw:

9 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Thanks, i can sleep easy tonight! :thumbs_up:

You're welcome mate, I know my opinion is very well respected around here :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

Been trying to regulate a vintage Rotary now for the past week. All guess work, what a pain in the ....

• Thanks 1

Not today, but at the weekend, got my quartzes out to check that none had stopped due to needing new batteries....especially the Seiko G757 which needs a new one as soon as the display starts flashing. Luckily, all OK. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Not today, but at the weekend, got my quartzes out to check that none had stopped due to needing new batteries....

I've still got 14 that need new batteries, I just haven't got round to sorting them out yet :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't do any watch care... But by the same token I don't do any watch abuse!

The way I see it is they are built to last and to be used... A bit of spit and some kitchen towel is about the most tlc they get!

That said, I will send some of my better watches for a service when due but that's ages away!

• Like 1