• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi all, 

I've got a quartz ETA 455.412 movement - everything appears to be in good shape until the seconds hand reaches around 12 seconds and then it just stops. 
I pulled the crown into the second position and pushed it back in a few times and I can see that it's itching to move but it can't. 

On further inspection I noticed that if you gave the seconds hand a slight nudge it would go past this point and then cycle around until it reached the same point and stopped again. 
I thought that the hand might be magnetised at first but after giving it a nudge there is a definite resistance and a little bit of a click as it pushes past the point. 

Any ideas before i dismantle it?

Cheers
Jae

Possibly the hand sticking touching something around that spot.. look carefully from the side with magnifier. 

I remove the seconds hand( only) and observe if it keeps time. 

A process of elimination starting at seconds hand, down to canon pinion and set gears and mech, so far the design allows, can help to avoid complete strip down.

On 23/10/2019 at 09:43, Nucejoe said:

I remove the seconds hand( only) and observe if it keeps time. 

A process of elimination starting at seconds hand, down to canon pinion and set gears and mech, so far the design allows, can help to avoid complete strip down.

Hi mate, removed the seconds hand and the time does not advance. Just stripped the back and noted that on turning the wheels by hand, so far long the process the intermediate wheel is becoming jammed. 

I took out the intermediate wheel and continued to turn the second and third wheel which moved freely with no jam, so Im pretty confident the problem only arises when the intermediate wheel is in. I checked the teeth of the second wheel and they all look in good shape as do the teeth and gear on the intermediate wheel.

Any ideas?

On 30/10/2019 at 01:48, Bedford said:

Hi mate, removed the seconds hand and the time does not advance. Just stripped the back and noted that on turning the wheels by hand, so far long the process the intermediate wheel is becoming jammed. 

I took out the intermediate wheel and continued to turn the second and third wheel which moved freely with no jam, so Im pretty confident the problem only arises when the intermediate wheel is in. I checked the teeth of the second wheel and they all look in good shape as do the teeth and gear on the intermediate wheel.

Any ideas?

I put the intermediate wheel back on, to check the side shake. 

Clean and check for sign of gear plate- main plate rubbing.  Otherwise,

Clean and rinse in ronson lighter fluid or avgas,  Lube, instal and observe.

Best