Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hairy Bikers Breitling v Green Rolex , would you ?


Recommended Posts

Been watching Hairy bikers "Route 66" and apart from the amazing recipes and sketches, notice that Dave Myers is yet another cook to stick with the green Roley 'chefs' Sub whilst Si King is still wearing his Breitling Colt  chrono. Both have many millions at their disposal and it occurred to me , I wonder if many people in their position would be content with £8k and £4k watches ? I remember from a book signing chat that they are "one watch" guys in that they don't chop and change ..... 

So if you were a minted chef , would you A. Buy the default green sub like Dave Myers along with many of the others, B. Buy a relatively modest tool watch like Si King .... or would you push the boat out ?

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did wonder, as another of these guys has a place not far from me, and he is always watchless when he's working. Does make you wonder why they feel the need to wear them on the telly ? Air

The hairy ones seem to come across as pretty down to earth fellas so I reckon they probably don’t want to look too flashy. I’d be happy enough with a green sub if I wasn’t into watches but if I’m hone

You never watched Batman as a kid !? Shame ......   

Ooooh, the age of the TV celebrity chef and conspicuous consumption. I'd take my watch off in the interests of hygiene, and not be a show off. 

 "Staff should not wear watches or jewellery when preparing food (except a plain wedding band). Watches and jewellery can collect and spread dirt and harmful bacteria, and fall into the food."

 From "Foods Standards Agency".

Edited by WRENCH
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Ooooh, the age of the TV celebrity chef and conspicuous consumption. I'd take my watch off in the interests of hygiene, and not be a show off. 

 "Staff should not wear watches or jewellery when preparing food (except a plain wedding band). Watches and jewellery can collect and spread dirt and harmful bacteria, and fall into the food."

 From "Foods Standards Agency".

Does not apply if you are preparing food for non-commercial consumption, TV chefs aren't caterers....

Link to post
Share on other sites

The hairy ones seem to come across as pretty down to earth fellas so I reckon they probably don’t want to look too flashy. I’d be happy enough with a green sub if I wasn’t into watches but if I’m honest, with many millions in the bank I’d probably be wearing a PP Nautilus Moonphase. Mind you, I'd draw the line at £50K though even if I was billionaire rich!

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Does not apply if you are preparing food for non-commercial consumption, TV chefs aren't caterers....

I did wonder, as another of these guys has a place not far from me, and he is always watchless when he's working. Does make you wonder why they feel the need to wear them on the telly ?

e04e04635907b557287d392bb921dec4--a-chef

Air King I believe. Only left £7500 when he died. Bet he had a good time though.

So, my answer would be a 

z114391p---Copy.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I think James Martin is into his watches, sure I've seen him wear a Daytona plus other watches.

I think you’re right, he seemed to have a different watch each week when he did Saturday kitchen   And Dave Myers used to wear a perpetual or air king in the early days of the hairy bikers I believe, so he’s had Rolex in one form or another for a few years now 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I think James Martin is into his watches, sure I've seen him wear a Daytona plus other watches.

He was wearing the Classic Yellow Gold 16518 at the Festival of Speed earlier on this year...on the Brown Leather strap.. and was probably the most spotted piece mainly worn by extremely wealthy Germans with their Million pound plus pre war Exotica...   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

 

e04e04635907b557287d392bb921dec4--a-chef

Air King I believe. Only left £7500 when he died. Bet he had a good time though.

 

 

Floyd's recipe for Beef Passata with mushrooms and Rubesco sauce is just about the best beef/pasta dish on the planet..... I remember he mentioned his Rolex when he cooked that on the show, he splashed it once and sung the praises ....

Curiously though, that entire series was re-edited for syndication and product placements cut out. So that scene is only available on the original aired version. Its the best version because he rambles on about the "finer things in life" etc etc  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

On the subject of "bikers" and watches. Wearing a diver under this lot is pure uncomfortable.

large.IMG_20191022_160019642.jpg.b8e9bfc8c08f638f1192e407a356dcf5.jpg

You must have used grease or vaseline ?

I don't think I ever wore a watch on a motor bike :hmmm9uh:

Edited by Turpinr
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

You must have used grease or vaseline ?

I don't think I ever wore a watch on a motor bike :hmmm9uh:

Old thin mechanical Rotary, has ridden with me for years,

large.IMG_20181116_085610.jpg.8078a53df8390028871d202f0bb7e01b.jpg

Anything bigger fouls the lining and the crystal gets damaged on zips and rivets etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Old thin mechanical Rotary, has ridden with me for years,

large.IMG_20181116_085610.jpg.8078a53df8390028871d202f0bb7e01b.jpg

Anything bigger fouls the lining and the crystal gets damaged on zips and rivets etc.

Are they gauntlets in that other pic ?

I was trying to talk a bloke up the road into buying one of of R E Interceptors the other day.It was him who had one for a demo day.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Turpinr said:

Are they gauntlets in that other pic ?

I was trying to talk a bloke up the road into buying one of of R E Interceptors the other day.It was him who had one for a demo day.

We Took the Interceptor out for a test ride when in Goa last February quite a ride for £3300 OTR including insurance out there...made a change to the Bullet Classic for a few hours... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I am not sure they wear the watches whilst on the bikes !? Its easy to pop them into a utility pocket if they want ... it's what I usually do....  

Far too complicated. :laughing2dw:

What's a utility pocket ? :huh:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Speedy112 said:

We Took the Interceptor out for a test ride when in Goa last February quite a ride for £3300 OTR including insurance out there...made a change to the Bullet Classic for a few hours... 

£3300 :teethsmile: I think I'd take a punt at that price.I there they're around 5k over here.

Very retro looking especially the tank.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Turpinr said:

£3300 :teethsmile: I think I'd take a punt at that price.I there they're around 5k over here.

 

And still well under the price of a Sub.

The GT, for some reason handles better.

royal-enfield-continental-gt-650-modifie

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...