• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

22 hours ago, PC-Magician said:

The Mighty Momentum Square One.

IMGP0005.jpg

Nice looking watch but is there a hidden message behind this gift? Does @bridgeman know that you are a great fan of Corbyn? Has he switched loyalty to Big Boris or is it just to make @Turpinr fume with envy because he does not have a `Momentum' watch? :whistle:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, richy176 said:

Nice looking watch but is there a hidden message behind this gift? Does @bridgeman know that you are a great fan of Corbyn? Has he switched loyalty to Big Boris or is it just to make @Turpinr fume with envy because he does not have a `Momentum' watch? :whistle:

Oh you rotter :laugh:

• Haha 1

On 31/10/2019 at 10:43, Turpinr said:

Not great for honest buyers either, especially when the bent seller can set up immediately with a new name and carry on selling fakes.

The seller was closed down a couple of times but keeps coming back.It was over 6 months after bought a Hydroconquest that I found out it was more than likely snide.

I had to get somebody on another watch site to shut the tw4t down as when i reported it to Ebay they did nothing even when i also reported it to Longines.

Don't they also need a new postal address (and maybe bank details?*) 

* I can't recall the required  details

3 hours ago, Watch-and-C said:

Don't they also need a new postal address (and maybe bank details?*) 

* I can't recall the required  details

I don't know about that sorry.

The pics and wording hadn't changed from watchcompany-1 who I bought from to the next name they used but when that one was shut down they tried a different format.They also sold snide Tags which was why they were shut down.

They have a shop in Walthamstow called rafiqwatchcoltd.

I noticed two different eBay accounts which clearly were using pictures of watches taken in the same location (they were outdoors, with a curved low brick wall beyond the watch). I couldn't understand why someone would want multiple eBay accounts?

24 minutes ago, Boots said:

I noticed two different eBay accounts which clearly were using pictures of watches taken in the same location (they were outdoors, with a curved low brick wall beyond the watch). I couldn't understand why someone would want multiple eBay accounts?

I'm assuming so they can bid up their own items , had it happen to me once a chap bid me up to £500 for a set of wheels using another account he had , fortunately for me one of the wheels was badly buckled so I returned the wheels and got a refund .
It was only afterwards that I found out he'd been using another account to bid me up , so a lucky escape really

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, andyclient said:

I'm assuming so they can bid up their own items , had it happen to me once a chap bid me up to £500 for a set of wheels using another account he had , fortunately for me one of the wheels was badly buckled so I returned the wheels and got a refund .
It was only afterwards that I found out he'd been using another account to bid me up , so a lucky escape really

Shill bidding is greatly reduced on eBay now. Mainly due to eBay's "sweeping" algorithm that checks account activity and spots "co-incidences" of bidding by accounts. It very hard to shill bid on eBay as a regular practice and get away with it. The main reasons sellers have multiple accounts is because it helps saturate the listing search returns. Having multiple accounts and duplicate listing is banned on the Bay but a few canny sellers ( and almost all sellers from one particular Asian country ) seems to get away with it....

Shill bidding is only ever a problem for a buyer , if the buyer does not stick to the golden rule bidding; Set your maximum price and stick to it, and don't put in your maximum until the very last seconds. It was shill bidding that led to the practice of "sniping" when bidding, but its one way to protect against shill bidding because doing it that way means the seller is in danger of winning their own item and quick cancellations without comms alerts the eBay sweep algorithm.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Shill bidding is greatly reduced on eBay now. Mainly due to eBay's "sweeping" algorithm that checks account activity and spots "co-incidences" of bidding by accounts. It very hard to shill bid on eBay as a regular practice and get away with it. The main reasons sellers have multiple accounts is because it helps saturate the listing search returns. Having multiple accounts and duplicate listing is banned on the Bay but a few canny sellers ( and almost all sellers from one particular Asian country ) seems to get away with it....

Shill bidding is only ever a problem for a buyer , if the buyer does not stick to the golden rule bidding; Set your maximum price and stick to it, and don't put in your maximum until the very last seconds. It was shill bidding that led to the practice of "sniping" when bidding, but its one way to protect against shill bidding because doing it that way means the seller is in danger of winning their own item and quick cancellations without comms alerts the eBay sweep algorithm.

I appreciate what you're saying and we've both discussed the problem before on other threads , but as someone who attends auction houses on a weekly basis and is in contact with buyers at these actions that then sell on Ebay , I can categorically assure you it still goes on big time , yes the seller sometimes gets left holding the baby and has to pay the seller fees to not upset the algorithm, sometimes the seller gets a short ban as does their counterpart, but with the amount of fees they are paying to Ebay they never seem to get more that a slight slap on the wrist 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, andyclient said:

I appreciate what you're saying and we've both discussed the problem before on other threads , but as someone who attends auction houses on a weekly basis and is in contact with buyers at these actions that then sell on Ebay , I can categorically assure you it still goes on big time , yes the seller sometimes gets left holding the baby and has to pay the seller fees to not upset the algorithm, sometimes the seller gets a short ban as does their counterpart, but with the amount of fees they are paying to Ebay they never seem to get more that a slight slap on the wrist 

Yes I know it goes on ... and I know eBay are lazy in stopping sellers returning ... but compared to the "bad old days", it is much improved. 

Personally ... with regards Watches ... I would never even consider bidding for a watch on the Bay if it was serious money £1000+ , I would only ever buy from a fixed price listing from a trade seller , or in certain circumstances ( and not many ) a private seller....

• Like 1

OP anupdate......

5 emails and responses to eBay ....all in polite language and polite responses.

ebay still insisting their form is signed by a police officer and for the second time this has been refused.

(only needs an incident/crime number)

ebay response is to trawl police stations until somebody does sign it!!!!  Not doing that and original first request and answer probably on record anyway and referred back to.

have asked ebay for a definitive answer as to what they propose to do.....

reading up on paypal and eBay would seem if approach paypal whilst ebay case still open then ebay automatically closes case.

.updates as and when 

for definitive answer 

2 hours ago, bridgeman said:

OP anupdate......

5 emails and responses to eBay ....all in polite language and polite responses.

ebay still insisting their form is signed by a police officer and for the second time this has been refused.

(only needs an incident/crime number)

ebay response is to trawl police stations until somebody does sign it!!!!  Not doing that and original first request and answer probably on record anyway and referred back to.

have asked ebay for a definitive answer as to what they propose to do.....

reading up on paypal and eBay would seem if approach paypal whilst ebay case still open then ebay automatically closes case.

.updates as and when 

for definitive answer 

Don't know if you have spoken to them direct as I find with emails its often a computer generated generic reply which often has very little to do with the original question...08003586551 is the Ebay Help centre I found them most helpful when I had an issue some months back its also a Freephone number...

• Like 1

OP....recap ...seiko THE GREAT BLUE ordered from France. Box arrived at local PO ,collected,opened at home NO WATCH  inside.

dIscussions with eBay  net result zilch see today’s emails below.

large.9B819D2D-4817-4A5D-8F38-0BF2D08C2DC1.jpeg.457c6bd5680a7a632e8dad948d0ff76e.jpeg

large.9F1360E5-DFB9-4DAC-9B4C-9AAA772B6677.jpeg.11b1c7ad100ebe7a58ae3d368d7d63b5.jpeg

Edited by bridgeman
  • Sad 1

That last email appears to be no help at all...in fact it looks as though they've washed their hands of it and closed the case. So what are you supposed to do if the police won't supply a crime number?

5 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

That last email appears to be no help at all...in fact it looks as though they've washed their hands of it and closed the case. So what are you supposed to do if the police won't supply a crime number?

That’s been the whole problem from the start Roger. Plus unable to leave the house for week  because of hospital stuff means claim has run out of time as well, no excuses accepted!!

1 minute ago, bridgeman said:

That’s been the whole problem from the start Roger. Plus unable to leave the house for week  because of hospital stuff means claim has run out of time as well, no excuses accepted!!

Perhaps it might be worth making the phone call and explaining the situation to a 'real' person as @Speedy112 suggests....unless you've already done it...?

That's 5hitty :(

Did you pay through PP? Was it via a Credit Card? Try a PP claim or try a chargeback on the CC. Or contact your bank and start a fraud case. 

Did you ask the seller for a scan of his original postal receipt with the weight of the box shown? Then weigh your empty box.

There has to be a way to get your money back. Ebay's stance effectively gives every seller licence to post empty boxes.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Did you pay through PP? Was it via a Credit Card? Try a PP claim or try a chargeback on the CC.

I've only ever had to do that once (and a while ago too!), but it was the easiest thing in the world: a quick phonecall to the card company and the charge was instantly removed from my card. Well worth a try if applicable in this case...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hate EBay. I won’t sell on there, and rarely buy anything I can’t afford to lose the money on. 
Buyers can’t be trusted (sorry honest ones) So many dodgy sellers, with fiddles and scams that are designed to get round EBays rules. 

would much rather find people on interest based forums who have a real (well as real as the internet can get) reputation to maintain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

did you log this incident originally with ActionFraud ?

No, specifically excludes such occurrences when you get into the detail

I don't know if this will help, but I had a dispute with paypal about a watch that was totally different to the advertised one (it was a "smart watch" so I guess I deserved to be shafted :laughing2dw: ).  I refused to send the watch back to the Chinese seller at my expense, which would have cost as much as the total cost of the watch.  After a few emails backwards and forwards they concluded that nothing more could be done  I tried one more email, and simply stated "I do not accept your decision", and in the end I think they got so fed up with me I got a full refund, and was told I could keep the watch :thumbs_up:

Don't give up mate, you are in email contact with them now, so keep pestering them.  You've got a valid reason for missing their 10 day deadline, so be firm and tell them you don't accept their decision.

Good luck mate :biggrin:

• Like 1

OP......Now with paypal claims who looking in to it.....suspect they just ask ebay what went off ,,,,,,expected decision shortly

12 minutes ago, bridgeman said:

OP......Now with paypal claims who looking in to it.....suspect they just ask ebay what went off ,,,,,,expected decision shortly

Chris I will back you any way I can so if needed please ask.

• Thanks 1

OP..... remember was down 125£ because imported ebay box from Corsica contained exactly nowt instead of a Seiko THe Great Blue.

ebay decided against any recompense. 
update......passed problem over to Paypal ,   Signed the affidavit they sent that had not received the watch.............Just informed me they will refund the whole amount plus my postage.....

winner.....and it’s my 70th birthday today as well..... nice present amongst the others!

Thanks all for the advice and support , helped a lot In the case.:rltrlt:

Edited by bridgeman
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2