• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigelp

Incoming Seiko King Quartz 1975

Ive been after one of these for a while a bit of background from wus....seiko branding dictionary...

- KS (King Seiko): (Sub-brand) - A high grade watch that was second to the GS as the most top of the line Seiko during the 1960’s and 70’s. Some of the models featured an unique external adjusting screw so that if it was fast or slow the movement could be adjusted with out removing the movement from the case (was one piece case in the beginning). Later versions of the KS were in the Vanes line which was a funky mode line of the 1970’s

And a useful link

https://mollewatch.com/blogg/seiko-grand-king-quartz-a-hidden-treasure-from-the-70s/

explaining how during the period when quartz was king...pardon the pun the King Quartz and Grand Quartz replaced the GS and King Seiko automatic in Seikos top line up

nb

"Everyone wanted the latest and greatest, quartz! With a precision that was way better than any mechanical watch and the coolness with something modern, electronic on the wrist Seiko also discontinued the Grand Seiko (the GS label did not reappear until 1988 as quartz and 10 years later, 1998, as mechanicals with the 9S caliber) and the King Seiko lines around 1973-1974.

Instead the GS and KS series were replaced with Grand Quartz and King Quartz."

Over to some pics, the case will need a slight polish probably in reality cape cod will revive it enough whilst retaining the lines and genuine appeal of age, its not mint, but the dial case crown and crystal are all very presentable and im sure will look better in the flesh. Importantly it has the all important original crown and case back (that sometimes gets swapped out if the battery compartment seal fails. Some pics. Its the design i wanted with the smooth straight rolex alike angles (pardon me)....Its nicely original and im sure a cape cod will have it sparkling and remove the swirlies (which is part of the fun). Said to be in good working order etc and coming from a seller in Japan with good feed back (these are stupidly priced outside of Japan i think.) I'll get better pics up and impressions when it arrives. 

No photo description available.

GQKQList.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, jmm1 said:

I would just love to refurb that for you.

thanks jimm what were you thinking of? Im thinking all is very nice and the case just wants as light a polish as possible? I enjoy that bit and im thinking a light going over with cape cod will be enough or if necessary a little metal polish like meguiars? 

1 minute ago, jmm1 said:

I would bring it back to the original finish or close too.

sounds great!

nice watches arent they ill get more pics on when it arrives. 

My understanding (there is plenty of conflicting info out there!) is that King Seiko was Daini's answer to  Suwa's GS rather than being a second tier. KQ and GQ are the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the article confirms thats the catalogue number allocated by seiko for the white dial is QNE010 (next to it the blue dial QNE011). Catalogue dates from 1976 when the line of King Quartz 4820 were introduced and retailed at about 51000 yen (£76). Twice the price of a 6105-8110 diver at the time and about half the price of a rolex dj at £160. 

Nuance Communications, Inc.

Nuance Communications, Inc.

"I am not at all clear to what extent the 4840 series fitted to the Grand Quartz’s distinguishes itself from the 4820 series but both movements, with 7 jewels, trimmer condensers and a high level of finishing certainly look several cuts above the disposable mass produced quartz movements fitted to many modern quartz watches."

Seiko 4822 movement cover

Seiko 4822A

"Having reassembled the case back parts and refitted the new battery, I was rather startled to see the seconds hand leap forward 10 seconds to the 12 mark when I pulled out the crown to the time-setting position. Rather than this being some sort of fault, it is in fact a feature, there to aid in the rapid synchronization of time when resetting the watch."

7 minutes ago, Tazmo61 said:

Lovely looking Seiko , Nigel . Should look even better after a polish :thumbsup:

yes im looking forward to sprucing it up and possibly putting it on a di moddel lizard? The pictures in the article of a nos one confirm the case is fully polished without brushing so it should be fairly easy to clean up without losing and of the definition. 

Seiko King Quartz crown

it also seems the crystal is AR coated (assuming it is original that is) and if its sapphire which i expect it might be then it very likely is.

Seiko 4822 KQ

ive got the same teju lizard on my skyliner so will probably match them as i like it a lot its the best strap ive had. 

Seiko King Quartz

Seiko 4822

8 minutes ago, ziggy1024 said:

My understanding (there is plenty of conflicting info out there!) is that King Seiko was Daini's answer to  Suwa's GS rather than being a second tier. KQ and GQ are the same.

thank you thats good to know and obviously im very pleased with that too! Thanks for clarifying ive read else where that seiko had a clever policy to get their factories to compete directly with each other in order to improve quality! 

(These pictures of the nos blue dial will be a good reference when i polish the case and bezel) 

Just paid the £32 duty online on this as its arrived in the UK...at the local sorting office. I dont think thats bad all the way from Japan, for a vintage watch that if it was its new counterpart would set me back about a grand in UK vat. I wonder if we will open smugglers coves on the coast like in 1604 when we leave the eu....oh hang on

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Its here....e93ebbe30a588e830b7fc052b78f3b95.jpg1fd3bc051802b1becb0824d62c9fa16a.jpg

How nice...who needs trade dealsf6ed1498cf7f35da10014b3928e12f75.jpg

Look even a charm a butterfly. 72b3a4589726394faaa35896987cb008.jpg

Might buy myself a condo. 040024e9a4cac17d6cabfaa80cf1cabc.jpg

All seems good. Its going to get a light clean and polish. 72b0eef2e386364140f75394034fdb96.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good, Nigel. 
Thanks rog case is coming up nice with a bit of elbow grease and polish.6e78d5f8e1cdc5b5ed2ea5bfdf7d60e2.jpg

All marks are coming outa9bd69b188a935ec2d37af0ef5229e53.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry for not spotting this excellent thread earlier, dear @Nigelp. Thanks for introducing the Seiko king Quartz on both a personal level and as a general model for us to take note of.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Always"watching" said:

Sorry for not spotting this excellent thread earlier, dear @Nigelp. Thanks for introducing the Seiko king Quartz on both a personal level and as a general model for us to take note of.:)

thanks honour:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just one amendment, i think i said the watch was a 1985, its not these were made between 1974 and 1981, having received it i can confirm the watch dates to 1975, so it isnt that long into quartz production, only about 6 years after the intro of the astron, the feel is very 70's, the case is quiet deep and chunky but very sleek in profile, but its definitely 70's. By 1985 seiko had moved onto ultra slim quartz. 

to quote from the article

Instead the GS and KS series were replaced with Grand Quartz and King Quartz.
Between 1974 and 1981 a large number of watches were introduced in these lines.

this is something ive noticed with mine which is quiet nice.

"Having reassembled the case back parts and refitted the new battery, I was rather startled to see the seconds hand leap forward 10 seconds to the 12 mark when I pulled out the crown to the time-setting position. Rather than this being some sort of fault, it is in fact a feature, there to aid in the rapid synchronization of time when resetting the watch."

a nice touch 

also i can confirm the ar coating on the crystal it often looks like there is no glass there at all

"it’s the AR coating that dominates proceedings:"

Edited by Nigelp

furthermore the case design is very sleek known as the grammer of design. Im sure @badgersdad mentioned that a few years ago. 

There is more to appreciate too in the case, reminiscent of the ‘Grammar of Design’ motif used in the Grand Seiko’s produced from the late 1960’s to mid-70’s. 

All in all it feels high quality especially for a watch thats nearly 50 years old, to have AR coatings is something else...for example the swiss including rolex and omega were still using resin crystals and this had an AR coated sapphire...

• Like 2

Finally finished refreshing the case. It wasnt to hard just time consuming. Most of the marks were very light. So 800 then 2000 wet and dry and then a polish finishing with cape cod has seen the case come up mint and retain its all important sharp edges.

Ive ordered a fluco croco in matt black for it. 48f43e0b5350eea753284b2fb67cfc69.jpg44dd7abeda7cedd24027002f0c05493c.jpg6d9e3186bf88e350b93760b6d2ae5102.jpg534fcd8f43bc949edc97aee3cc4c2256.jpg274dd000252e79a2ad93aaa776822a00.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know if these battery compartments should have an o ring gasket seal on them? Mine is very easy to undo with finger pressure. If so where to get from? Thanks

c16a973990d338e6e558dd5fd3eaba80.jpg

1 hour ago, relaxer7 said:

That's good looking job Nige. Well done mate!

cheers mate, it makes for a nice sort of class vintage beater, i guess it would have been a bit posh when new, now i guess its a bit spivy like driving around in an old Jag arthur daley style. :laugh:

Image result for Jaguar xj series 2

a lot of fun 

• Haha 1