• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Tarantula move to new home. (Safe for Cassie to view)

Roger the Dodger

My son, Bobby was moving his Pink Toe Tarantula into a bigger vivarium today, so it seemed an ideal opportunity to take some pics. There is also a short video at the end...please excuse the sound of the television in the background. She's still quite small at the moment...she will be as big as my hand when fully grown.

The pics don't start until further down the page, and I've done that for @Cassie-O so she doesn't get a fright when/if she opens the topic.

Going for a stroll...

Pink Toe Tarantula.

Pink Toe Tarantula.

In her new home...

Pink Toe Tarantula.

Video.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

so she doesn't get a fright when/if she opens the topic.

it would have been funny if it had decided to leg it up your arm and down the back of your collar :laugh:

sorry she. 

very true...

i think she is quiet cute. 

Thank you Roger, very much appreciated for the warning.  I tried to look but then I saw the top of the leg and I decided I would reveal a bit at a time each day! :king:  I was very brave and I had a look at the video.  Just aswell I wasn't wearing my Fitbit to measure my heart rate! :thumbsup:

Edited by Cassie-O
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cassie-O said:

Thank you Roger, very much appreciated for the warning.  I tried to look but then I saw the top of the leg and I decided I would reveal a bit at a time each day! :king:  I was very brave and I had a look at the video.  Just aswell I wasn't wearing my Fitbit to measure my heart rate! :thumbsup:

wait while she grows up :wicked:

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I don't have a problem with spiders, no matter how big they are...:thumbsup:

I'm having enough trouble in the shops the now with plastic eight legged freaks!  :(

Edited by Cassie-O
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I don't have a problem with spiders, no matter how big they are...:thumbsup:

Same here, i like em cos they get rid of flies which truly are filthy creatures, we all know what they like dog muck, and then they have the cheek to come into your house and  crawl all over the place, dirty horrible things.:cursed:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

Image result for big spiders joke

@Roger the Dodger put me up to it, hes a bad influence. 

I don't believe that, you are naughty, Nigel.  :crazy5vh:  It could have been worse you could have made a nasty remark about Sir David.  :thumbsup:

@Roger the Dodger It won't be as big as that plastic thing once fully grown, will it?  :(

Edited by Cassie-O
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes! Here's one that's nearly fully grown...(Pic off the internet...that's not my hand or watch!)

Related image

Here's a pic I took of 'Raquel' this morning...she's about a third the size of the one above...you can see why they're called Pink Toes.

Pink Toe Tarantula.

• Sad 1

I believe your pictures you found will be very nice, but I'll pass on the monster sized freaks, for now.  :whistle:  I scrolled past them with my hand over the screen.  :sadwalk:  Do they feel soft or spiky?  

Edited by Cassie-O
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cassie-O said:

I believe your pictures you found will be very nice, but I'll pass on the monster sized freaks, for now.  :whistle:  I scrolled past them with my hand over the screen.  :sadwalk:  Do they feel soft or spiky?  

They are quite soft, but they don't really like being handled...it stresses them, and they can shed their hairs which are irritating. If you handle them, it's best to let them crawl onto your hand without actually picking them up as you would a normal house spider.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Oh yes! Here's one that's nearly fully grown...(Pic off the internet...that's not my hand or watch!)

Related image

Here's a pic I took of 'Raquel' this morning...she's about a third the size of the one above...you can see why they're called Pink Toes.

Pink Toe Tarantula.

woooo ive decided im not right keen rog. 

33 minutes ago, Cassie-O said:

its well scary. :jawdrop1:

dont look 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

woooo ive decided im not right keen rog. 

I was curious so I had a look, he's lovely Nigel. :whistle:   @Roger the Dodger did you say that some of them are bright blue, or am I imagining that?  If you have a picture of that one and if it's smallish please post as I'm curious but I don't want to search on Google, as I may have a meltdown and I want to be fit to watch Sir David in a few hours.  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Yes...some are blue...in fact 'Raquel' is a dark navy blue with a maroon abdomen, and the bottom of their feet are multi-coloured in certain lights...like oil on water.

Here's Bobby's smaller tarantula...it's bright blue!

I don't mind that one, so think I'll name that one Del.  :thumbsup:  I actually have studied the three pictures!  Thanks Roger for your patience with me, as I really would like to be able to look at them, even if they aren't my favourite thing in the world!  :king: 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nigelp said:

they are facinating i wish id had one when i was 8 instead of an Hamster. I had to make do with what i caught in the garage. 

just one question do they bite?

They may bite if you really annoyed one by handling it roughly. Pink Toes are fairly docile, but there are some other tarantula species that don't like being handled at all. At worst, the bite wouldn't be any worse than a wasp or bee sting. In fact, a few years ago, I was nipped by a really fat garden spider as I tried to move it away from the hedge I was trimming. That actually drew blood, but again, wasn't even as bad as a wasp sting...more like a needle prick. As soon as it let go, the pain stopped...unlike a wasp sting which hurts for ages.

11 hours ago, Cassie-O said:

I don't mind that one, so think I'll name that one Del.  :thumbsup:  I actually have studied the three pictures!  Thanks Roger for your patience with me, as I really would like to be able to look at them, even if they aren't my favourite thing in the world!  :king: 

That little one (Del) is only about 25mm across at the moment...so probably smaller than the average house spider. It's moulted once since he's had it, and will eventually be up to 125mm across!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

They may bite if you really annoyed one by handling it roughly. Pink Toes are fairly docile, but there are some that don't like being handled at all. At worst, the bite wouldn't be any worse than a wasp or bee sting. In fact, a few years ago, I was nipped by a really fat garden spider as I tried to move it away from the hedge I was trimming. That actually drew blood, but again, wasn't even as bad as a wasp sting...as soon as it let go, the pain stopped...unlike a wasp sting which hurts for ages.

much more gentle than a Yorkshire Terrier then! 

Image result for yorkshire terrier attacking

• Haha 1