• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Mrs Wiggles

Seiko SKX009 v Heimdallr Sharkey Turtle

From time to time I enjoy righting a comparison review, it's raining today, I'm  not playing golf, so today will be one of those days. I dont own a Sharkey version of the SKX nor do I own a Turtle version of the Sharkey, but I do believe the two models are close enough to draw a comparison. 

MOVEMENT

The Seiko has the 7s26. It doesn't  hack or hand wind, and is the most inaccurate of all my watches, coming in at -35 spd. I should point out though that this movement is known for its reliability. Score 6/10

Ironically the Sharkey uses a Seiko movement, but a better one, the NH35. Reliable, hackable, and hand winding. This particular watch is incredibly accurate and only loses 2 spd. Score 9/10

CROWN

The Seiko crown is buttery smooth and easy to operate. Score 9/10

The Sharkey is slightly gritty, but otherwise excellent. Score 8/10

DIAL

This is quite subjective. The Seiko has a Matt black dial with round indices and a day date facility. A classic looking and attractive diver. 8/10

The Sharking also has has a Matt black dial, but with square indices with chrome frames. The Sharkey lacks the day display, but that's fine with me. I like the shark logo, but would have preferred it if it were more discreet. Score 8/10

BRACELET 

I happen to like jubilee bracelets, and find them comfortable, for this reason I like the Seiko's strap. That said, the clasp looks like it comes from something  much cheaper. It is of a push close design, and the opening section is pressed rather than machined. No divers extension, but does have micro adjustment. Disappointing hollow end links.  Score 6/10

The Sharkey has a brushed oyster bracelet with micro adjustment, but no divers extension. The Sharkey also has solid end links. The clasp is infinitely better than the Seiko. A duel button release with a locking mechanism. It also has a machined opening section. Score 8/10

CRYSTAL

The Seiko has a Hardlex window, which to my mind scratches to easily. For what an SKX costs I believe it should have a sapphire window. Score 6/10

The Sharkey has an AR flat sapphire crystal. Score 10/10

CASE

The Seiko has a polished 316L case. It is very well finished, but being all polished may lead to excess scratches. Score 7/10

The Sharkey is also 316L stainless, and is very well crafted. The watch has a mixture of brushed and polished metal and looks splendid. Score 8/10

BEZEL

The Seiko bezel is probably the watch's greatest asset. 120 click, great movement, and no back play. It is tight, but not to tight, but I would prefer the outside of the bezel to be a little sharper. Score 8/10

The sharkey also has a very nice bezel, but perhaps a little to tight. It has a 120 click movement with a nice sound, and has the rougher finish on the outside I like. Score 7/10

LUME

Unlike some people I am not that obsessed with lume, but as these watches are designed for diving, it becomes more of an issue, Both are excellent and long lasting, and both get a 9/10

WATER RESISTANCE 

The Seiko is 200m and has an ISO rating. It doesn't pretend to do anything else, and does what it says on the can. Score 10/10

The Sharkey doesn't carry the ISO certificate, but has the same 200m rating. I wouldn't  hesitate to swim with it. Score 8/10

VALUE FOR MONEY

The sapphire window, better bracelet/clasp, superior movement, accompanied by the fact the Sharkey cost me £150, including import duty,  compared to the Seiko's average selling price of £260, makes the Sharkey far better value for money.

CONCLUSION

The Seiko is a proven watch, looks great, and does the job. It is one of the watches in my collection I know I will never flip. OK, I know the Sharkey is a homage, but Heimdallr have produced a watch that has a higher spec than the watch it homages to. This is possibly unheard of. If I could only keep one it would probably be the Seiko, but only because of its iconic appearance and residual  value. Purely from a quality and specification perspective the Sharkey is a better timepiece

Pictures to follow shortly 

Software wouldn't allow me to edit the post, so here are the pictures

UWTsWJD.jpg

odKfIk5.jpg

• Like 4

The Seiko 7s26 is an excellent movement and not having hand wind or hacking can be a real bonus as it makes the movement simpler so less to go wrong.

Accuracy wise yes some aren't so good from the factory as they are not regulated so a bit of a lucky dip,however when regulated they are incredibly accurate.

I am currently working on one and they are built well so no wonder they last decades.

The autoworks is a wonder so simple yet so efficient, the NH35 shares many of these features as do many other Seiko calibres.

Only other comment I will make is regard to the  Hardlex crystal.

Yes it can scratch but personally never had that happen, but it is tough very very difficult to smash unlike Saphire.

I would rather get it scratched under water than smashed.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

The Seiko 7s26 is an excellent movement and not having hand wind or hacking can be a real bonus as it makes the movement simpler so less to go wrong.

Accuracy wise yes some aren't so good from the factory as they are not regulated so a bit of a lucky dip,however when regulated they are incredibly accurate.

I am currently working on one and they are built well so no wonder they last decades.

The autoworks is a wonder so simple yet so efficient, the NH35 shares many of these features as do many other Seiko calibres.

Yes it can scratch but personally never had that happen, but it is tough very very difficult to smash unlike Saphire.

I would rather get it scratched under water than smashed.

I once bought a second hand Seiko diver, and sold it because the crystal was so poor. I am sure you are right about the 7s26 movement, and I could regulate it myself. However, I do not want to remove the back of the watch for obvious reasons. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

I once bought a second hand Seiko diver, and sold it because the crystal was so poor. I am sure you are right about the 7s26 movement, and I could regulate it myself. However, I do not want to remove the back of the watch for obvious reasons. 

You could have replaced the crystal it's an easy job with the correct tools.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

the crystal was so poor

21 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

scratched

they polish out quite quickly:

before ...

rotary.thumb.jpg.393e2f1be0bdd6a04abb79925a45a1f6.jpg

after ...

IMG_20190914_200058477(1).thumb.jpg.ac7d581a0cbfef15e1c7ad1d3557f752.jpg

there was plenty more improvement to be had, but I thought that was OK for a 1938 watch, and took me under 30mins

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

There are certain things I will do, but crystal replacement isn't one of them. Perhaps I should get on YouTube and try it out on something very cheap 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

I always have a spare crystal handy when I am re-fitting a difficult snap back lol - last one went even though I was using a 'cup-shaped' die on the bottom.  Think I will get a screw type press rather than a lever type ...

Oh, and even worse, ater I had smashed the crystal, but thought at least the case-back was on, about 5 mins later the back popped out again with a bang  ha ha ha ha

5 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

There are certain things I will do, but crystal replacement isn't one of them. Perhaps I should get on YouTube and try it out on something very cheap 

definitely - I found an old quartz in the garage, Timpsons wanted 90 plus fitting for a movement, £5.00 on ebay incl battery, so what's to lose if the watch isn't working.  Then i found a better cased example with a broken crystal, so some mixing and martching later ....

No photo description available.

mineral glass not always easy to gauge the right size to suit the right gasket, but cheap enough to get a few anyway, and hardlex for Seikos, well they will be well reported on the net, no problemo. 

Edited by Jet Jetski

On 26/10/2019 at 13:14, PC-Magician said:

A lot of crap is written about Hardlex. It's actually very difficult to scratch. The reason is that the forming process gives a much more compact molecular structure that standard mineral glass. That said the forming process is kinder to flatter crystals than even very slightly domed ones... so for Hardlex on Seiko Prospex watches for instance, its a very resilient crystal. Also a lot of crap is written about sapphire crystals. For instance, because a watch has a "sapphire" crystal then its somehow superior. The reality of course is that there are huge variations in the quality of sapphire crystals and I would take a Hardlex lens over a $10 Chinese "Sapphire" one any day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

A lot of crap is written about Hardlex. It's actually very difficult to scratch. The reason is that the forming process gives a much more compact molecular structure that standard mineral glass. That said the forming process is kinder to flatter crystals than even very slightly domed ones... so for Hardlex on Seiko Prospex watches for instance, its a very resilient crystal. Also a lot of crap is written about sapphire crystals. For instance, because a watch has a "sapphire" crystal then its somehow superior. The reality of course is that there are huge variations in the quality of sapphire crystals and I would take a Hardlex lens over a $10 Chinese "Sapphire" one any day.

Never managed to scratch one yet.

39 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

A lot of crap is written about Hardlex. It's actually very difficult to scratch.

Is it ?

large.large.IMG_20161230_1226265_rewind.jpg.0d438a2fcb7678309470a5ba522f965f.jpg.8a0e00bdcba57090265b4f1aff20884e.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

Never managed to scratch one yet.

My seiko solar diver that I had for half a decade never had a single scratch on it when I sold it , and it went diving with me in a couple of challenging coral reefs.... My lad has had a prospex for 5 years now also and not a single scratch. He has worn for all his student jobs including barman/cocktail maker at M&C and its taken some knocks... Minor dings on the bezel and case but not a single scratch on the crystal. Hardlex is a very good proposition for flat crystal watches.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

My seiko solar diver that I had for half a decade never had a single scratch on it when I sold it , and it went diving with me in a couple of challenging coral reefs.... My lad has had a prospex for 5 years now also and not a single scratch. He has worn for all his student jobs including barman/cocktail maker at M&C and its taken some knocks... Minor dings on the bezel and case but not a single scratch on the crystal. Hardlex is a very good proposition for flat crystal watches.

I would agree.:yes:

22 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Look at the post prior to yours

1 minute ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I did ... its picture of a sh1tty old watch ... what's that got to with anything ?

No. it's a picture of a shitty old watch with a Hardlex crystal

Not sure what the issue is with the old Seiko after many years use it should be no great surprise especially if it had a hard life.

Or is it only a couple of years old.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

Not sure what the issue is with the old Seiko after many years use it should be no great surprise especially if it had a hard life.

Or is it only a couple of years old.

Any watch crystal can be trashed badly...  I have a picture framing tool that can scratch sapphire crystal easy-peezee...  There is no better substitute for proof of the pudding, than eating lots of puddings .... [ whilst obviously securing the consumption of moderately sized puddings ] .... sorry , my analogy has gone off piste a bit there....

1 minute ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Any watch crystal can be trashed badly...  I have a picture framing tool that can scratch sapphire crystal easy-peezee...  There is no better substitute for proof of the pudding, than eating lots of puddings .... [ whilst obviously securing the consumption of moderately sized puddings ] .... sorry , my analogy has gone off piste a bit there....

I am now hungry.

• Haha 1

ive had plenty of old seikos with scratched hardlex crystals, got one at the moment, one sq100 had a deep sratch but otherwise mint and a little 1981 quartz i have how has minor surface scratches. However they are still there after 30 years original not broken or chipped much on the edges. ive never ever scratched a watch crystal myself. i did buy a t32 that had a new crystal fitted, hardlex seems pretty practical stuff to me but like anything there are people out there who can kill it. 

44 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

Just found this on YouTube. Worth watching

It looks great, but it's got a shark on the dial. it's one of those animals that just says nine year old boy to me. There are some animals it's best to avoid, I find.

Image result for joe browns t-shirt lion

Edited by badgersdad

20 minutes ago, badgersdad said:

It looks great, but it's got a shark on the dial. 

I agree and that is the reason why I had the shark logo removed from mine, everytime I looked at the watch I saw the silly shark logo,  now it looks a lot better in my opinion 

IMG_20200114_084440.thumb.jpg.c09135fb4f50ada11237915b2ba50228.jpg

Edited by jsud2002
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jsud2002 said:

I agree and that is the reason why I had the shark logo removed from mine, everytime I looked at the watch I saw the silly shark logo,  now it looks a lot better in my opinion 

IMG_20200114_084440.thumb.jpg.c09135fb4f50ada11237915b2ba50228.jpg

Much better. Now it's a sterile seiko. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1