• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
alan1219

How do you categorise your watch collection?

I'm interested in how people organise their watch collections. I personally just do the dress, tool, beater - Tangente, BB Chrono and Casio F-91W respectively (although I'm in the midst of selling my BB Chrono and have certainly been swooning over the Rolex Explorer I for some time now).

Do you just collect from certain brands, certain models or according to the type of tool watch (one dive, one chrono etc.)? 

As a bonus question, advice as to what I should replace the BB Chrono with would be welcome.

I don't understand the 'beater' mentality.

Personally I am conscious of not damaging my watch whether it's a £500 or £5000 watch.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Reamer said:

Personally I am conscious of not damaging my watch whether it's a £500 or £5000 watch.

Sure but I like to wear a watch to the gym and when I’m doing something active. No matter how careful you are you can damage a watch 

I have mine organised in boxes as follows, Divers (various brands), box with Chinese/Russian watches, box for Swiss Quartz (Various brands), boxes with Swiss Automatics (again various brands), box with Vostok Europe and I have Japanese boxes with Seiko/Orient watches together, finally a misc box.

Brands:- Have quite a few from each of these brands Seiko, Orient, Roamer, Mathey-Tissot, VE and  Rotary/Dreyfuss, but like most brands I have.

Replacing BB Chrono – I think it depends on what you like, if you like the explorer then go for it, the longer you wait the more other watches will distract you. I’m kinda in the same boat myself, thought I was settled on getting a Omega Speedmaster, but then Aqua Terra & the BB58 took my eye, and if that wasn’t bad enough @yokel and his German watches, have had me looking at Stowa, Nomos, Junghans and Dornbluth, which has just added to my uncertainty, not sure which root to go down now. Should have just bought the Speedmaster when It was top of my list.:laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to put together thematic collections

I had a Glycine Airman collection of all but one of the original vintage Airman watch, Airman SST and most of the models up to those produced in the pre Invicta days. I also had a Speedmaster collection, cal 861 Speedy, Mk II racing dial, MkIII, MkIV Mk4.5, Gemini 4 limited edition, Mars limited edition.

In both cases I woke up one morning and decided to sell them all - I really wish I had kep one of the vintage Airman and the Speedy Gemini 4

These days there isn't a theme its an eclectic mix from Vostok through to Rolex

• Thanks 1

All in one box. One g-shock, one swiss made hanowa beater for work, one vintage certina, one tissot chrono, one micro brand diver plus my favourite hamilton mechanical. I choose a watch for activity, sometimes wear three during one day when I do different things. 

One 12 berth box, which has 15 watches in it, and a 4 berth auto winder.

I think I've got enough modern watches, mostly looking for interesting, low cost vintage pieces.

I have given up trying to organise them, so many to faff with, I just take a photo of the boxes every now and again and adjust my listing per box. Its something to do on a rainy day.

17 hours ago, Reamer said:

Ummm....   some watches are actually designed to take a beating, and keep going.  It's all they do.  And they absolutely will not stop. Ever. :robot: :laughing2dw:

58033160_131588164579096_472957468449492

Bezel didn't even come off. Just look what happened to Kurtz' Rolex in Apocalypse Now!

You may want to take your 5k watch off next time you skateboard.  Just sayin'.

18 hours ago, alan1219 said:

Do you just collect from certain brands

A) Russian space watches.  B) Russian watches I accidentally bought while looking for Russian space watches.  C) Different types of chrono. Retrograde 10ths, minute sweeps, 5hz sweep seconds etc. D) Expedition watches (incl beaters & divers for the WR). & E) the metrology of horology e.g. split second bull-head chrono; regulator watch;  Levant 24 HR dial; day pointer; week / month pointer, etc F) Watches I like.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bonzodog said:

Shotgun approach ,what ever takes my fancy at the time:laughing2dw:

This ^ applies to me as well :thumbsup:

• Like 2

They have to catch my eye and be reasonably cheap. I bought ten watch display boxes cheapest I could find to store them. I bought one decent display case for my Seiko collection which sits on my bedside table..