• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
rhaythorne

Car Bumper Trim Repair

Can any of you car gurus recommend a glue that will re-attach the trim to my car bumper?  There are so many different types of silicone/epoxy/super glue that don't work on certain types of plastics that I have no idea which one to choose or, indeed, if any will work at all.  Or will glue just pull the paint off the bottom edge of the bumper as soon as I scrape across the next speed bump (of which there are thousands around here)?

bumper.JPG 

i'd drill it and pop rivit it the bugger wont drop off then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I stand corrected, it appears that Nigel doesn't know the correct answer after all......... :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

Just now, Davey P said:

I stand corrected, it appears that Nigel doesn't know the correct answer after all......... :laughing2dw:

i do i do, remember that merc s550 amg i brought over from ireland? the big blue b@stard on the 57 plate? Well the leccy boot was a pain in the arse, so i disconnected the cable, drilled a hole above the number plate and threaded the cable through the hole and put a cable tie loop on all i had to do was pull that with my finger never got locked out again!

bloody merc electrics...

4 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

remember that merc s550 amg i brought over from ireland?

No.

:tongue:

• Haha 1

Just now, Davey P said:

No.

:tongue:

ill find a pic im glad to forget it too! pain in the bum it was

UcLn24.jpg

bet you dont know that bloke either. 

• Haha 1

Unfortunately I'm utterly hopeless at anything like "drilling", "riveting" or anything remotely D.I.Y... unless D.I.Y stands for Destroy It Yourself, in which case I'm an expert :laugh:

Gluing I can just about manage, probably!

i'll find a pic of the bloody thing later. 

Just now, rhaythorne said:

Unfortunately I'm utterly hopeless at anything like "drilling", "riveting" or anything remotely D.I.Y... unless D.I.Y stands for Destroy It Yourself, in which case I'm an expert :laugh:

Gluing I can just about manage, probably!

drill hole cable tie will do 

If you believe the annoying adverts, Gorilla glue will stick almost anything to almost anything, so that might be worth a try... :tongue:

What about some of that double sided tape you stick number plates on with...that stuff never comes off. I have to elastic band the 'proper' plates over the ones on Sheila's car when it goes for its MOT because I can't get the tape off.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Davey P said:

If you believe the annoying adverts, Gorilla glue will stick almost anything to almost anything, so that might be worth a try... :tongue:

Yep, I looked at this, but was put off by the fact that they omit the word "plastic" from all the other things they say it sticks to (at least on the outside packaging).  Also it appears to be aimed more at absorbent materials into which the glue can expand and that wont work in this case.

But thanks for resisting the temptation to suggest that I sell the car and buy a Porsche :laugh:

23 minutes ago, ziggy1024 said:

U-POL Tigerseal Black Pu Adhesive & Sealant - 310ML

But a better answer might be a new clip, if it's a standalone bit that's broken/missing?

That looks promising, I shall investigate.

40 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

Double sided automotive tape might do the job.

That sounds interesting too.  I'd looked at double-sided tapes but they come with the same caveats as the various glues in that they don't stick certain types of plastics.  An automative variant might be a good bet though.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

But thanks for resisting the temptation to suggest that I sell the car and buy a Porsche :laugh:

It was tempting mate.... very tempting....... I think that might be my standard answer to most things in future :yahoo:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

Yep, I looked at this, but was put off by the fact that they omit the word "plastic" from all the other things they say it sticks to (at least on the outside packaging).  Also it appears to be aimed more at absorbent materials into which the glue can expand and that wont work in this case.

That looks promising, I shall investigate.

That sounds interesting too.  I'd looked at double-sided tapes but they come with the same caveats as the various glues in that they don't stick certain types of plastics.  An automative variant might be a good bet though.

That tiger stuff or similar is what I’ve used in the past. Just ask at your local motor factors and they’ll sort you out. It won’t come lose after a bit of that on it.

:)

• Thanks 1

buy something german instead of french so the bit wont fall off. 

• Like 1

Hi having just gone back into car accident repair I would like to offer some help if I can. Without knowing what kind of trim it is I will give you a few options. Try and look inside the groove of the trim, sometimes they're reinforced with metal strip that runs all the way inside the groove but covered by itself if you follow, with some pliers try to close the gap where it's come off, if successful it will push back on, if slack make the groove smaller. Now if its tougher plastic then warming with a heat gun and closing the groove may help (not to hot don't melt it) warm it with heat gun, close gap with pliers, hold until cooled, the plastic will then retain its shape. If non of the attempts work then try sikaflex from Halfords, eurocarparts, amazon etc. Use a little bead along the fallen part groove and use masking tape  to support overnight. Please feel free to message me if I can be of any more help

• Thanks 1

Finally, some relatively sunny weather and no rain so I could see what I was doing and not get wet.

I was able to loosely press the bumper trim back into place and a squirt of Tiger Seal has secured it nicely.  Cheers all :thumbsup: