• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Elaine

french longcase by Leon Natalene identification

I have got a longcase clock with the dial marked Leon Natalene a Pons. Apart from it being built in Pons in France I cannot find anything other info about the clockmaker. Can anyone help?

Hi Elaine,

Pics would help...

Also, having Leon Natalene on the dial does not necessarily mean that is the maker.

That may just be a private label for the shop that sold the clock.

Many sellers used to get their name put on the dial for clocks they were selling.

The true maker may have his mark on the movement.

Edited by RoddyJB

I am with Roddy on this one. Leon Natalene may well  have been the retailer of the clock, or perhaps the assembler - putting it together from a bought-in movement and (perhaps locally made) case. I can find no references online to Leon Natalene, and as for the place name, "Pons," this is a French commune with a population that has remained amazingly stable from the late 18th century right up to recent times, never quite managing to reach 5,000. It's a pity that your clock doesn't bear the word, Pons, as the maker since we do have information online about the French clockmaker Honoré Pons. As Roddy has suggested above, some decent pictures would be a help, even if just to provide an approximate date for the clock.:)