• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
jsud2002

How do you Store Digital Photos

I have been having a clean out on my laptop and noticed I have over 15,000 digital photos all of which are stored in individual folders , These are labeled watches, mods,  Lakes 2011 , York 2016 , Birthday , Christmas etc . I have now copied all 15,000 to an external HDD for safe keeping and have deleted them from lmy laptop  I hope to one day sort through all the 15,000 as I am sure I do not need all of them . My question is how do members here store digital photos ? do you keep then on the laptop , external HDD , both , or are your photo's floating in a cloud somewhere . 

Also is there any free software that I could download to create a photo album/book , not to print out but to keep on my laptop . For example we visited the Lake District in 2011 and I have photos that I would like to keep in a book so that when I am old I can flick through them with my wife . 

Cheers John 

16 minutes ago, ziggy1024 said:

Definitely don't rely on a single HDD of any description! At least copy them back onto the laptop as well ASAP...

Good idea I shall copy them back over . 

I have most stored on the PC like you, John, but they are all backed up on flash drives as well, one for each subject...bugs, flowers, watches etc. I hardly ever keep them on my handheld devices (tablet, phone) for long.

They did use to say that if data is not on three storage devices it is not secure. One device should be stored in a separate location in case of fire. flood, etc.

I don't follow that slavishly, but every few months I do copy everything across to two external HDDs, one of which gets stashed with a friend.

It's the family pictures that matter, but it is easier to just copy everything.

4 minutes ago, Boots said:

They did use to say that if data is not on three storage devices it is not secure. One device should be stored in a separate location in case of fire. flood, etc.

I have a couple of those usb flash drives which I could also copy to this being the third storage solution. I never thought of fire or flood so giving one to one of my kids to keep in their house is a good idea.