• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
spinynorman

Dial cleaning, restoration

I have this watch that works, but the dial is a mess. What are the chances of cleaning it up? I want to preserve the Rubina signature, so anything that risks damaging that would be out.

Rubina face

27 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

I have this watch that works, but the dial is a mess. What are the chances of cleaning it up? I want to preserve the Rubina signature, so anything that risks damaging that would be out.

Rubina face

I would say the silver places are where the lacquer has come off so any attempt at cleaning will remove more lacquer and make it worse , best left imho

• Thanks 1

i dont think anything will strip just the lacquer and leave the logo intact i think you will just end up taking the lot off because its not dirt but rather the lacquer thats gone yellow rather than clear due to heat probably, like that stuff they use on car engines, it might sound horrible but the gentlest way to try is a bit of spit on a rag because there are mild solvents in our spit. 

or if you are going to strip it a bit of salt water luke warm 

• Thanks 1

Blow off any dust and maybe use some rodico very gently then apply a very fine coating of lacquer to preserve the dial finish.

Obviously you would need to remove the hands and dial from the movement.

Or have the dial refinished.

• Thanks 1

send the  dial to a "profesional dial restorer".   mess with the works later.   vin

• Thanks 1